Is your freezer a graveyard?

You'd probably all call my enormous chest freezer an absolute nightmare, but at least I know where [almost] everything is. I've got home made bread in there as I usually batch bake bread and roll, and there are joints of beef, lamb, and pork, a chicken, a turkey breast, and a duck, and raw dog food (don't worry - it's all grade A food for human consumption, and I am guilty sometimes of "borrowing" some of the chicken legs). There are a few packs of frozen veg and mushrooms for when they are out of season or I have just run out of fresh, and some home grown blackberries and apples from last year. Other than a pack or two of blueberries and pomegranate seeds, most of the rest is all home made, home grown, or home cooked - whey pancakes, lasagne sheets, flat breads, tyropita, various spicy veg dishes, minced lamb, roast bacon, stuffed peppers, stock, biscuits, Yorkshire puddings, sauces, and herbs. I also have a bag of pieces of bread, destined to be made into a bread pudding, and a few packs of leftovers which will probably become soup of some description. I'm not in the least bit worried about "best before" dates - most of it is still perfectly OK for human consumption, and the only thing I've ever thrown out in the last few years was half a pack of carrots where the plastic packaging had split and the carrots had freezer burn. It all gets eaten eventually, and I'm still here :laugh:

You'd probably all call my enormous chest freezer an absolute nightmare, but at least I know where [almost] everything is. I've got home made bread in there as I usually batch bake bread and roll, and there are joints of beef, lamb, and pork, a chicken, a turkey breast, and a duck, and raw dog food (don't worry - it's all grade A food for human consumption, and I am guilty sometimes of "borrowing" some of the chicken legs). There are a few packs of frozen veg and mushrooms for when they are out of season or I have just run out of fresh, and some home grown blackberries and apples from last year. Other than a pack or two of blueberries and pomegranate seeds, most of the rest is all home made, home grown, or home cooked - whey pancakes, lasagne sheets, flat breads, tyropita, various spicy veg dishes, minced lamb, roast bacon, stuffed peppers, stock, biscuits, Yorkshire puddings, sauces, and herbs. I also have a bag of pieces of bread, destined to be made into a bread pudding, and a few packs of leftovers which will probably become soup of some description. I'm not in the least bit worried about "best before" dates - most of it is still perfectly OK for human consumption, and the only thing I've ever thrown out in the last few years was half a pack of carrots where the plastic packaging had split and the carrots had freezer burn. It all gets eaten eventually, and I'm still here :laugh:

If disaster strikes, I'll hole up in your place then!

So you don't have a gen set then. I bought one when we had all the quakes and power was uncertain. Never needed it. We're in a good part of town.

Russ

So you don't have a gen set then. I bought one when we had all the quakes and power was uncertain. Never needed it. We're in a good part of town.

Russ
Most garages, round here at least, will not let you fill cans with petrol or diesel, and most modern vehicles have an anti-syphon system. Besides, if you had a generator in your garden it would probably be stolen by the next day. If it lasted long enough to use, the neighbours would complain about it.

My mother's freezer was always packed full. I would go and organize it but of course it never stayed that way. It was always a game of 'whats this stuff?' Is this summer squash? Nope turned out to be zucchini.

So when she passed away and i got the house, i also got the contents of the freezer. I'm a vegetarian so i went thru and got all the meat out and took it to my brother for him to deal with. Still left me with all her diced up onions and peppers, sliced strawberries and mangos etc that she had bought and prepped by hand. It was a lovely way to remember her as i took out a ziplock of diced peppers and made pizza or fajitas.

Then hurricane irma took aim and caused the power to go out for 5 days. Everything was melted when i got back from evacuation. That was a sad freezer clean out, all her hard work of slicing and dicing.

I still have her pecans in there as they would not go bad with 5 days of less than freezing temps but i don't like pecans and i have her candy making chocolate which is also fine for snacking on instead of making fancy candy out of it. But i don't really use it like she did, right now i have a couple of ready made pies in there, a few graham pie crusts and a tub of cool whip in addition to her pecans and chocolate. Occassionally it might be home to a frozen pizza for a few nights if i buy one at the store.

Hubby finally gave in at the weekend and cleaned out the deep freezer. It's been unplugged since we moved house some 7 or 8 weeks ago. I haven't had time to go it, mostly because I can't actually reach the bottom of it and I wasn't too great on Monday needing to sleep most of the day, so he couldn't unpack boxes which had been the aim of the long weekend (he had the day off on Monday with him working in Canberra, it was a public holiday in ACT just not in NSW where we live, it can get confusing!). So he had to make noise outside instead and cleaned it out finally. I've not idea what's in it but...

I'm a vegetarian so i went thru and got all the meat out and took it to my brother for him to deal with.

Hi @oddduck and welcome to the forum - we definitely would welcome more vegetarians here. Of the regular contributors - I'm semi vegetarian with vegan son, @SatNavSaysStraightOn is vegan with eggs and @Duck59 is vegetarian. If you have a moment, please do introduce yourself over in New Member Introductions. There is always a warm welcome for new members... :D

This reminds me that I was getting ready to experiment with Tilapia recipes. Still have that publix bag in my freezer drawer :/

I think if I don't defrost whatever I've put in there within a week or two - it joins the graveyard.

Back
Top Bottom