Loose vegetables

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:42 PM
Asda (a major UK supermarket) has taken the decision to stop selling loose fruit and veg. Shoppers were upset to find they could no longer buy individual carrots, potatoes, apples and other fruit and vegetables loose by weight in stores or online. Instead the supermarket giant now expects customers to buy pre-weighed packs of fruit and veg with barcodes. And the reason for the change? Asda has said research has shown customers prefer buying in packs and that this was a way of offering customers a great range of fresh produce.

“After analysing customer buying habits we decided to trial removing some loose produce items from our stores where our research showed customers preferred buying in packs “Our plan was to listen to customer feedback on this trial before making any permanent changes, and we will do this.”

Customers have taken to social media to show how upset they are by the changes. Thanks to @Elawin for the link.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other...and-veg-and-customers-aren’t-happy/ar-BBB96yD

Last edited:
Decided in America(Walmart, parent company) earlier this year.

Then do as Americans do and show your protest by not shopping there. They'l get the point.

Unless, of course, it's cheaper by the dozen. Then we have no morals.

Last edited:
Then do as Americans do and show your protest by not shopping there. They'l get the point.

Unless, of course, it's cheaper by the dozen...
They, ASDA, were never bothered by what the others did. But since Walmart took over, changes have been made that I doubt they'd have considered before. At present I'd have to say of the major ones over here, they're not far off the bottom.

One other thing worth considering as well. You're in a supermarket, and there are people sneezing over the fresh produce. Would you want to buy it afterwards?

Well I see it's just a trial. With enough protests surely they will take note and go back to offering loose veg. Packs are all very well for families but many people live alone so such a policy would exclude vast swathes of the population! I think it is more about saving costs. If there is not such a demand for loose veg then surely it would make more sense not to over order in the first place rather than deprive those who buy them of that privilege.

Sounds like a way to pawn off the bottom of the box produce.
Ok, if as classic says this is an American idea and I want to see the name of the person that made the decision, why didn't American Walmart try this.
But by all means please blame the Americans, because we have the right to choices.

I get that Walmart bought the company but do you have any proof that corporate in America came up with the idea.

I would guess it was a British decision, otherwise Walmart would have tried it here.
And we still have loose vegetables from all over North and Central America.

Now is there some law that says you must shop at ASDA?
You don't want their bagged vegetables, shop elsewhere. Let them know with your money.

Take the next part with a grain of salt.

"Oh I'm sorry, I forget you must give people you can't stand your hard earned money because the only two places to shop in the UK and that is Amazon and Asda. "

I have heard the same complaint about Amazon. The people complaining did make it sound like the government made you shop at Amazon.
Jeff and Sam need all your dollars. Oops pounds.

Last edited:
Ok, if as classic says this is an American idea and I want to see the name of the person that made the decision, why didn't American Walmart try this.
No one person would have decided something like this. See:
http://corporate.walmart.com/our-story/leadership
And it's easy enough get their contact details.

Asda isn't as big over here as Walmart is in America(Second largest employer in the US, 1.5 million employees.)

Brackets closed off in edit

Last edited:
But by all means please blame the Americans, because we have the right to choices.

I get that Walmart bought the company but do you have any proof that corporate in America came up with the idea.

I would guess it was a British decision, otherwise Walmart would have tried it here.
And we still have loose vegetables from all over North and Central America.

Now is there some law that says you must shop at ASDA?
You don't want their bagged vegetables, shop elsewhere. Let them know with your money.

Take the next part with a grain of salt.

"Oh I'm sorry, I forget you must give people you can't stand your hard earned money because the only two places to shop in the UK and that is Amazon and Asda. "

I have heard the same complaint about Amazon. The people complaining did make it sound like the government made you shop at Amazon.
Jeff and Sam need all your dollars. Oops pounds.
Decision wasn't made in the UK HQ. Parent company is American. That leaves very few boardrooms where it can have been decided.

No one person would have decided something like this. See:
http://corporate.walmart.com/our-story/leadership
And it's easy enough get their contact details.

Asda isn't as big over here as Walmart is in America(Second largest employer in the US, 1.5 million employees.
Ok so who on that list is in charge specifically of the British stores?

Most of those people you linked are US Walmart only.

And yes, I am pretty sure one brainiac in corporate wanted his/her partner to buy only packaged fruits and vegetables and suggested it to other equal brainiacs, who have probably never actually been in a grocery store.
That is usually how the strangest ideas get through.

Ok so who on that list is in charge specifically of the British stores?

Most of those people you linked are US Walmart only.

And yes, I am pretty sure one brainiac in corporate wanted his/her partner to buy only packaged fruits and vegetables and suggested it to other equal brainiacs, who have probably never actually been in a grocery store.
That is usually how the strangest ideas get through.
Should be easy work out, job titles are listed under their names.

And no they're not.

Decision wasn't made in the UK HQ. Parent company is American. That leaves very few boardrooms where it can have been decided.
I know the parent company is American but that doesn't mean a dang thing.
Do you have proof that it came from US Walmart?
It appears from the link you gave that they do have International corporate. Not all the heads are in Bentonville AR.

Should be easy work out, job titles are listed under their names.

And no they're not.
And most of the INTERNATIONAL people are not in America.

Oh so how are most decisions made since you seem to be the expert on ALL businesses?

And most of the INTERNATIONAL people are not in America.

Oh so how are most decisions made since you seem to be the expert on ALL businesses?
You want to say the above, go ahead.

But no one person made the decision.

You are missing a piece, can't find it and appear to be trying to shove the blame for that back on me.
That has nothing to do with this thread.

Sithi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom