Movie night

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
12:44 AM
[Mod comment: copied from another topic to start new thread (TR)]

We're off to see Indiana Jones' latest offering.

I've heard quite a lot of criticism, people seem to be expecting some clever plot or artistic merit, from a kids film!

So long as they play the theme tune I'll be happy. I might take some ibuprofen on Harrison Fords behalf before I leave though :laugh:

I've heard quite a lot of criticism, people seem to be expecting some clever plot or artistic merit, from a kids film!

So long as they play the theme tune I'll be happy. I might take some ibuprofen on Harrison Fords behalf before I leave though :laugh:

I like the Indiana Jones franchise as an adult. But, one has to understand that it is pure entertainment, not intellectually stimulating drama.

CD

I just saw the first IJ movie for the first time on Friday. MrsT loves those movies (mainly because she has <say something naughty here> for Harrison Ford, even if he is 97yo). She wants to watch them all to prep for the new one.

Meh…I give it a 5/10. It’s fluff. Of course, I’m watching it with 40 years or so of history behind it, so it can’t be the same as seeing it when it came out initially, but it’s sort of dorky, and color me stupid, but isn’t he basically an artifact-stealing mercenary? I get he’s working for “the good guys,” and any time you’re on the opposite side of the Nazis, you’re where you should be, but during the opening scene, it sure seemed like he was trying to steal that little golden thing from the indigenous people there.

When I asked that, MrsT told me to shut my dirty, filthy, lying mouth, because Indy’s a good guy…a very sexy, rugged-in-a-boyish-way good guy, and if he’s taking some other culture’s religious icons, he’s got a very good and sexy reason for doing so. :eek:

I just saw the first IJ movie for the first time on Friday. MrsT loves those movies (mainly because she has <say something naughty here> for Harrison Ford, even if he is 97yo). She wants to watch them all to prep for the new one.

Meh…I give it a 5/10. It’s fluff. Of course, I’m watching it with 40 years or so of history behind it, so it can’t be the same as seeing it when it came out initially, but it’s sort of dorky, and color me stupid, but isn’t he basically an artifact-stealing mercenary? I get he’s working for “the good guys,” and any time you’re on the opposite side of the Nazis, you’re where you should be, but during the opening scene, it sure seemed like he was trying to steal that little golden thing from the indigenous people there.

When I asked that, MrsT told me to shut my dirty, filthy, lying mouth, because Indy’s a good guy…a very sexy, rugged-in-a-boyish-way good guy, and if he’s taking some other culture’s religious icons, he’s got a very good and sexy reason for doing so. :eek:

Sorry but you're not qualified to score it 😆
You're waaay too late to the Indy party, it can't be watched decades later through aged eyes.

You really do need to have seen them either as a child or at the time they were released, back then he was a treasure hunting hero, finding items for the sake of education to be displayed in a museum. Obviously now that plundering is viewed very differently.

You have to appreciate they were written originally to pay homage to the way old tv series were done. One week the episode would end with the hero heading off the edge of a cliff to certain death with no chance of survival (the Lone Ranger etc) and the next week something completely unbelievable would happen to stop it (sometimes including a rewind where they show the horse n cart or whatever not going off the edge of a cliff), this basic deus ex machina leaves all the kiddiwinks leaping out of their seats cheering for the triumphant hero.

There are very very few films you can show children 30 years later and not only do they like them they want to watch them again. Indiana Jones is one of those.

Swashbuckling, constantly moving, fantastical, quite ridiculous, childish fun.

Also your wife is right about Harrison Ford, shut your dirty, filthy, lying mouth.. 😂

Honestly you're such a nice guy I find it hard to type that 🤣

Also your wife is right about Harrison Ford, shut your dirty, filthy, lying mouth.. 😂

Honestly you're such a nice guy I find it hard to type that 🤣
Weird…MrsT had no problem sayin’ it! :wink:

She also didn’t like me pointing out that her other boyfriend, Sean Connery/James Bond was a womanizing misogynist! :laugh:

Viewing movies late…I rarely watched movies like that when they first came out. I think it’s because I saw Star Wars on just my second trip to the movies and thought it was absolutely the worst thing I’d ever encountered. Not the worst movie ever, but the worst thing ever. I think it made me afraid to see first-run films. :laugh:

It’s been just a few years since I saw Alien for the first time (not impressed) and Jaws (really not impressed). I’ve yet to see E.T., Blade Runner, and several other “iconic” movies. I’ve never even seen Gone with the Wind or Wizard of Oz.

I love, love, love ‘60’s-‘70’s European B-movies (affectionately called Eurotrash here), Italian gialli, Hammer films, and ‘70’s US exploitation films, so that’s where my head’s at anyway.

Last year, we watched all the MCU movies in story order, and for the love of god, I couldn’t tell you the plot of a single one, but ask me to compare and contrast Daughters of Darkness with Vampyres, and I’m right there!

Weird…MrsT had no problem sayin’ it! :wink:

She also didn’t like me pointing out that her other boyfriend, Sean Connery/James Bond was a womanizing misogynist! :laugh:

Viewing movies late…I rarely watched movies like that when they first came out. I think it’s because I saw Star Wars on just my second trip to the movies and thought it was absolutely the worst thing I’d ever encountered. Not the worst movie ever, but the worst thing ever. I think it made me afraid to see first-run films. :laugh:

It’s been just a few years since I saw Alien for the first time (not impressed) and Jaws (really not impressed). I’ve yet to see E.T., Blade Runner, and several other “iconic” movies. I’ve never even seen Gone with the Wind or Wizard of Oz.

I love, love, love ‘60’s-‘70’s European B-movies (affectionately called Eurotrash here), Italian gialli, Hammer films, and ‘70’s US exploitation films, so that’s where my head’s at anyway.

Last year, we watched all the MCU movies in story order, and for the love of god, I couldn’t tell you the plot of a single one, but ask me to compare and contrast Daughters of Darkness with Vampyres, and I’m right there!

You and my wife would get on, she hates action movies as well. I'm like your wife I love them too.

Russ

You and my wife would get on, she hates action movies as well. I'm like your wife I love them too.
Watching all those superhero movies back-to-back, it became really easy to pick out the formula (opening fight scene, someone’s going to slide under something, someone’s going to run up a wall and do a back flip, someone’s going to jump off something and land on one knee with their fist on the ground and their head down… 🥱) - after the fourth or fifth one, I couldn’t take it any longer! :laugh:

Yep. Doesn't sit well in the modern world. At the time it was fine to treat women like that and we mostly simply had to accept it. Those days amongst modern film makers are thankfully gone.
Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

I'm lucky for me there's not a single genre I dislike but films are an art form and art reflects that moment, leaving watching something that was relevant to the way people think or feel at a specific point in time until that moment has long past is never going to produce a good effect.

Groundbreaking approaches to filmmaking aren't going to be at all impressive donkeys years later. In fact quite the opposite happens. If it was impressive at the time it gets used again and again until it's a well trodden trope that's been so refined the original just looks awful.

Most folk go to the cinema for escapism. The worse the current climate is the more successful the fantastical hero genre becomes.

As for seeing the formula or guessing the plot that happens for me with nearly every film or series I watch so I don't watch a film expecting to see anything surprising or even original, then when it rarely occurs it's a lovely bonus.

It did happen in spades the other day though, I watched the Magpie Murders and was blown away, some of it was flashbacks that didn't make sense, some of it was cleverly pieced together and almost all of it was resolved by the end of the first episode.
I thought bl88dy Nora where are they going from here? Where can they possibly go unless it's stand alone episodes that somehow link together at the end. So clever.

Then I discovered I'd actually watched the last episode first... :roflmao:

Watching all those superhero movies back-to-back, it became really easy to pick out the formula (opening fight scene, someone’s going to slide under something, someone’s going to run up a wall and do a back flip, someone’s going to jump off something and land on one knee with their fist on the ground and their head down🥱) - after the fourth or fifth one, I couldn’t take it any longer! :laugh:
I could watch Thor (Chris Hemsworth) do that all day long. I get why he doesn't have the same appeal for you...I know your type. I bet you could watch some reruns of the Bionic Woman though, couldn't you?

Edited to add, for those unfamiliar with the American TV show from the 1970s:
The Bionic Woman (TV Series 1976–1978) - IMDb

Last edited:
I bet you could watch some reruns of the Bionic Woman though, couldn't you?
In all seriousness, BW was a quality show. It was (obviously) spun off of Six Million Dollar Man, which was a crap show, IMO. Lindsay Wagner even won an Emmy for Lead Dramatic Actress.

I was watching reruns last year or so, but then the streaming service dropped it, and I think they’re charging for it now.

Six Million Dollar Man…garbage, garbage, garbage.

And meh on the superhero pose - Natalie Portman, and I do think she’s very attractive indeed, but that overdone landing has gone beyond ridiculous (to the point they even ridicule it in the movies themselves…one of them…with Black Widow…couldn’t tell you which one, though…maybe it was X-Avengers Infinity Homecoming Endgame Multiverse Matrix with Special Guest Star Shazama-Man 🤷‍♂️).

In all seriousness, BW was a quality show. It was (obviously) spun off of Six Million Dollar Man, which was a crap show, IMO. Lindsay Wagner even won an Emmy for Lead Dramatic Actress.

I was watching reruns last year or so, but then the streaming service dropped it, and I think they’re charging for it now.

And meh on the superhero pose - Natalie Portman, and I do think she’s very attractive indeed, but that overdone landing has gone beyond ridiculous (to the point they even ridicule it in the movies themselves…one of them…with Black Widow…couldn’t tell you which one, though…maybe it was X-Avengers Infinity Homecoming Endgame Multiverse Matrix with Special Guest Star Shazama-Man 🤷‍♂️).
Yeah Steve Austin was a man barely alive. Really I agree.

I have to admit I only watched the 1st Thor, Captain America, the Hulk, all of the Iron Mans, plus the 1st Avenger movie. I've got a thing for Robert Downey Jr. He looks a lot like my husband and he's a good actor. Loved his Sherlock Holmes stuff.

I really think I need to rewrite that moderator questionnaire. Can you list the films you don't like please? It will save me a lot of work.

Ok, I confess I've never seen the Godfather series or Rambo and a few other similar themed ones, but not liking Star Wars, Star Trek (plus all the spin off's), Alien, or...

What about Xena, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, MacGuiver, TJ Hooker, M*A*S*H and similar?

I haven't been to a cinema in years, but I do like to escape reality with a movie from time to time. :wink: :laugh:

CD
I think I do that every time I turn the TV on!

We only go 2 or 3 times a year because we prefer the premiere lounge which is reclining seats and food & drinks served at your agreed time. There are only about 40-50 seats in each theatre/lounge, and only 2 "lounges". We tend not to go to the normal ones now.
No one bats an eye about you pulling out your own snacks or picnic if you get drinks from the licensed bar (not that we drink, but you get the idea).

Back
Top Bottom