Movie night

Tonight is an Italian giallo classic:

IMG_5161.jpeg

Part of the fun of these (for me, anyway) is the way the original title translates into a wordy, sometimes nonsensical, title. With a title like that, you have to watch it!

Friday night, we watched Troll, a 2019 movie set in Norway, about a troll mistakenly released from his mountain confinement. Followed the usual motif of misunderstood monster versus trigger-happy humans.

Last night was the animated feature Pinocchio, the one by Guillermo del Toro. Both MrsT and I didn’t like that one at all, mainly because the voice actor for Pinocchio had such an annoying, precocious manner - and I get that Pinocchio is supposed to be annoying, but the characterization was so OTT, I wanted to climb through the screen and throw him in the fire.

Last night, MrsT’s choice, we watched “School of Good and Evil” - basically a very Disneylike movie, not made by Disney.

One thing I like to do, if I can, is avoid any press or reviews before I see a film (hard to do with something like Star Wars or Barbie), then after watching it, seeing how near or far I am from the critics.

I and the critics were in complete agreement on this one - A for effort, D- for execution, praising the performances, but tearing apart the slipshod story (which really felt like they were making it up the night before, then shooting the next day).

Even as a bit of fluff, it was just too insubstantial to enjoy, though the two leads were very good in their roles.

Last night was the first film of Hammer’s “Karnstein Trilogy” - “The Vampire Lovers:”

IMG_5970.jpeg

IMDb

IMG_5971.jpeg

IMDb

Tonight, the second installment:
IMG_5973.jpeg

My own TV

Very controversial at the time of release (1970/71), but now seem laughably tame.

Tonight, generally accepted as the first horror film:

IMG_5997.jpeg

I love the sets in this, they’re wonderfully kooky:

IMG_6003.jpeg

IMG_6004.jpeg

Britannica

Last edited:
Have you watched this movie, based on Bram Stoker's Dracula? We actually watched this in "The Art of Oil" class in college..,

View attachment 105557

CD
Yes, more than once. I’ve also seen it screened in a movie theater with a live bands performing to it, which was fantastic.

I don’t care that much for silent films, but there are a few I do like, and that’s one.

Back
Top Bottom