My food processor is pissing me off

I could probably get my hand in ours, but I have small hands, with long fingers. There is no way Craig could though.

I had a brain fart earlier. We have 2 FPs. The larger 1 is the Cusinart, which has the removable piece with the hole in it. Part of the locking mechanism is actually in the push piece when you are shredding, slicing, chopping. The big drawback with that is you have to have the push piece in far enough to just engage the top of the locking mechanism in the bowl or it won't go. So, nothing longer than about 5 inches. And you can get about 1/4 of a medium cabbage in there, you just have to cut it in half lengthwise.

The other FP also has a blender jar. We bought it when the former blender died. It wasn't much more for the combo than it was for a blender alone, so... The FP bowl is smaller than the Cuisinart, but is easier to clean and use. So, since we don't cook as much, either in quantity or frequency, anymore, it tends to get more use. I can't remember what brand it is, but we bought it at Target very reasonably a few years back.

Last edited:
the old style Kitchen Aid mixer attachment works super good - slicer cones for thin or thick.
now - pay attention - the 'old style' has a conical slicing doo-hickey, and the 'body' is enitrely different than the "new and not-really-improved" version - the "new" slicer bit is cylindrical, not conical, and the entire device is seriously un-sturdier.

you'll need to look on places like eBay for "new old stock" of the original design.
do not by into the "new helplessly inept" design....

I have one of those conical slicers. I've never actually used it. :laugh:

CD

the old style Kitchen Aid mixer attachment works super good - slicer cones for thin or thick.
now - pay attention - the 'old style' has a conical slicing doo-hickey, and the 'body' is enitrely different than the "new and not-really-improved" version - the "new" slicer bit is cylindrical, not conical, and the entire device is seriously un-sturdier.

you'll need to look on places like eBay for "new old stock" of the original design.
do not by into the "new helplessly inept" design....

I see what you mean. The new style does look less sturdier than the old. We had the old style attachments, and they did work well, but gave them to DD when she got her own KA because we had gotten the Cuisinart by then and she didn't have a FP.

That's part of the locking mechanism, it's a safety feature, so it looks deceiving.
Ok, I don’t think I was quite understanding your issue (maybe I’m still not), because I use the large opening (the one I have my hand stuck in in the earlier pic) with big items.

The trick is, you have to put the food (like a big hunk of cabbage) in first, then put the big pusher (with the metal safety rod attached) in, then turn it on. It’s not like the smaller feed tube, which you can run whenever you like.

What this video. You can see it very quickly a few times at the beginning, but if you go to the 8:10 mark, watch from there, and you’ll see her slice a stack of whole potatoes that way.

View: https://youtu.be/bb6bo04jnHY

Note it’s the same woman from the first video, but much younger, as the second video is from 11 years ago. :laugh:

Apologies if that still doesn’t help.

I think they have to design them to keep some nimrod from sticking his hand down the tube.

Crows.gif

I've only had one food processor in my life. So I wouldn't know whether the access tube is large, normal or small. I definitely can't get my hand down there.

Tefal:

Processor s.jpg

I have the Cuisinart Professional food processor. It has a bigger opening, but still not very big. I think they have to design them to keep some nimrod from sticking his hand down the tube.

View attachment 99059

CD
I have that very same model, & it has done me well ever since!! One thing that I looked for before I bought it was to make certain that the feed tube is a wide one!! And that the motor is a pure heavy induction one, not a universal one!! :whistling:

Last edited:
I'm trying to shred cabbage to make homemade coleslaw and the feed tube is ridiculously narrow on this. Literally every other food processor I've seen has a much wider mouth on it. By the time I cut the pieces small enough to fit in the feed tube, I might as well just do it all by hand. WTH!? Look at how small the feed tube is compared to the size of the wedge if cabbage and my hand. That is ridiculous. Why is mine the only one I've seen like this? How is this efficient at all? I really wish I would have known this before I bought it. View attachment 99055

Doesn't the top bit lift off? (I'll answer that myself, Yes it does)
Screenshot_20230427_085204_Chrome.jpg

You then put the cabbage in the feed tube and put the pusher you lifted out back on, so that you get the catch into place to activate the blades. This usually needs 2-3cm insertion of the pusher into the feeder tube. Turn device on and press down on the pusher. See 3 & 4 below.

That's certainly how my different model of Cuisinart works.

Screenshot_20230427_090138_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Apologies, just realised mine is a Magimix Patisserie, but the concept is the same.

The idea is that you put the cabbage (or on my case an orange) into the feeder tube, then put the pusher down far enough to engage the safety device.

20230427_094523.jpg

Those white things are the safety switch on my processor.

20230427_095035.jpg

For large items, such as cabbage and orange or potatoes, the safety switch turns the motor off if you remove the pusher so you can't put your hand in to a live system. Add another cabbage wedge, put the pusher back on and the device will turn back on. The point at which my device engages is in the picture.

The smaller holes in the pusher are for thinner stuff like cucumber or carrots that you can just keep feeding in, or if you're on the mixer/chopper blade that's in the bowl rather than above, for drizzling in liquid.

20230427_095117.jpg

2 bananas side by side.

20230427_095159.jpg

Using this feeding hole allows the device to be on all the time. Not safe for holes that are large enough to get hands or arms into.

Last edited:
I have a kenwood. I tried to make slaw once, messy and time consuming.
Quicker to make by hand. I have good knife skills. Self caught.
Btw I still use the one I started with. Although I've bought a second hand one when the bowl was worn out and broken.

Russ

I have a kenwood. I tried to make slaw once, messy and time consuming.
Quicker to make by hand. I have good knife skills. Self caught.
Btw I still use the one I started with. Although I've bought a second hand one when the bowl was worn out and broken.

Russ

Kenwood sells cheap car audio here under that name. They sell kitchen appliances under the DeLonghi name.

CD

Back
Top Bottom