Next dish/recipe for the Cookalong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:34 AM
The new Cookalong feature has been very interesting with lots of shared advice and excellent results. See here if you missed the action! We now need to decide on a new recipe/dish to cook along to. I've been making a note of some dishes which have been mentioned in various posts across the forum. So here are my suggestions - (V) indicates vegetarian options.

Rogan Josh
Paella (V)
Crab Cakes
Croissants (V)
Tagine (V)
Ravioli (V)
Chicken Kiev

Please feel free to give your vote to one of the above or add thoughts and other suggestions. I'll give this a few days - then we decide! :D

I am basically happy with any of these, but croissants would concern me because they seem to demand a level of skill I don't possess, and the last two items on the list are the two dishes that, the last time I attempted them, left me a quivering wreck in the corner.

In terms of a vote I suppose I'll vote for Rogan Josh.

the two dishes that, the last time I attempted them, left me a quivering wreck in the corner.
:laugh: No worries. And I know the feeling. I'm intending to make Chicken Kiev soon to (hopefully) rid myself of the nightmare of the last time I tried it!

What is a Rogan Josh? I have heard of a Joe Rogan but I don't think he would be very edible.

Despite my previous traumas with it, it has to be said that the beauty of Ravioli is just how broad the scope is - both in terms of what you fill it with and in terms of what sauce you put with it. I'm trying to remember, when I made mine I made two separate fillings, one a spinach and ricotta, which I think I did with a kind of butter sauce, the other was a pork meatball which I did with a tomato based sauce. Yes, it all comes flooding back now, one of my problems, or one of the key lessons I learned is, either your pork meatballs need to be really tiny, or you need massive ravioli cases!

Despite my previous traumas with it, it has to be said that the beauty of Ravioli is just how broad the scope is - both in terms of what you fill it with and in terms of what sauce you put with it. I'm trying to remember, when I made mine I made two separate fillings, one a spinach and ricotta, which I think I did with a kind of butter sauce, the other was a pork meatball which I did with a tomato based sauce. Yes, it all comes flooding back now, one of my problems, or one of the key lessons I learned is, either your pork meatballs need to be really tiny, or you need massive ravioli cases!

My issue in the past with ravioli has ben the dreaded 'leaking' - so we are probably in the same (leaky) boat here. I expect @MypinchofItaly is an expert though!

While I love a good Roganjosh, and it doesn't have to be lamb (my mentioning of it was about chicken), I am reticent about doing it from scratch.

A paella sounds interesting. I was recently given a perfect albeit small paella pan. But any deep saute pan with a lid would work.

In that light, I disagree that a tagine is a tagine without the vessel.

Just my 2 centavos.

The filling you've chosen for ravioli are great and even the most famous ones probably, great choice! You need a lot of manual skill, but once you make the first one, the rest come by yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom