Oddball restaurants

Japan is tops for this! There's a robot restaurant, Alice in Wonderland restaurants, ninja inspired restaurants, places where you can literally fish for your own food (too confronting for me!) and so forth. I'm on a mobile device right now but when I'm on my laptop I'll have to attach pictures so you can see what I mean!

Not really a trend that caught on in the UK and have never experienced it but
Nyotaimori,Is a Japanese type of food service that breaks the ten second rule
:oops:
I'll let you google it !hopefully the spelling is on the nail

I've eaten an vegetarian Indian meal in an Austrian restaurant in Belarus which was in the cellars of an underground movements HQ when Belarus was part of the USSR.

I've also eaten pizza (only vegetation option) in a restaurant overlooking the harbour at Honningsvag in the very far north of Norway (it's the last town in the north before Nordkapp).

But as for knowing quirky places, ones that are still open are few and far between nowadays.

Pardon me if this does not fit in this thread.

Boracay Toilet is a weird restaurant that has the trimmings of a toilet. The plates, mugs and utensils are patterned after the toilet facilities such as the toilet bowl, sink, water closet. In short, you are eating with those plates and utensils. Even the drinking fountain is like a urinal. It is a novelty restaurant located in the famed Boracay island that brags to have the best beach resorts in the Philippines. Don't ask me but I have no intention in going there to sample that crazy restaurant. It is a yuck to me, hahahaaa.

Pardon me if this does not fit in this thread.

Boracay Toilet is a weird restaurant that has the trimmings of a toilet. The plates, mugs and utensils are patterned after the toilet facilities such as the toilet bowl, sink, water closet. In short, you are eating with those plates and utensils. Even the drinking fountain is like a urinal. It is a novelty restaurant located in the famed Boracay island that brags to have the best beach resorts in the Philippines. Don't ask me but I have no intention in going there to sample that crazy restaurant. It is a yuck to me, hahahaaa.
On a earlier reply#11 have a look at the hyper link there is a toilet restaurant theme listed in Taiwan ,can't say it would be my thing
:sick:

There is a restaurant in the depths of the Wielicka Salt Mines in Poland and while I didn't eat there, I did have a cup of coffee. You can do all sorts of strange things in that place (the mines rather than the restaurant), including getting married if you fancy.

Here's the Alice in Wonderland restaurant in Tokyo I mentioned:

alice-in-wonderland-restaurant-tokyo10.jpg

And part of the inside of the Robot Restaurant:

Robot-Restaurant-Tokyo.jpg

Ohh yes, I have been to the Roadkill Café in PA. However, they most certainly do not serve roadkill. They do sell a lot of the tshirts and sweatshirts commemorating you visit to the establishment though, and their menu is rather interesting. Quaker State and Lube is a chain here in the US that makes you think you are having dinner at a racetrack.

I went to these places some aren't wacky just interesting.

1. Toilet restaurant in Japan where you can sit on toilet chairs while eating.
2. Restaurant that served Filipino dishes in the middle of a pond.
3. River cruise with buffet lunch and band.
4. Cro-magnon restaurant that serves paleo diet foods like worms.

There was a chain restaurant that used to be in downtown Cleveland called "Dick's Last Resort". If you're not familiar with the place, the whole theme of it is that the entire staff is supposed to be rude to you and ridicule you the whole time. It's funny, but you really need to be thick skinned to go there, because they would make some really low blow remarks about you while you're there. They would stick insulting notes on you, throw toilet paper at you, make silly hats with embarrassing remarks on them and stick them on your head while you're eating, and more. Even the hostess is pissed off at you as soon as you walk in the door.

When I was in Chicago a few years ago for a marketing conference, one of the vendors hitting us up for business invited us to some VIP room in the Hard Rock restaurant. I didn't even know they had them at their locations, but it was pretty swanky. We went in a private elevator to get up to the floor it was on, and the interior decor was really trippy with all sorts of colorful lighting and mystical decor. We just had drinks there though. I would love to know how much it costs to use that room though if my friends and I were ever in town there again.

There were several hidden away spots some of my friends have taken me in Pittsburgh. One was an underground after hours diner, a couple floors deep in what I guess was originally a bomb shelter in one of the buildings. It was totally word of mouth, as they didn't have any signs out front. Another was an after hours bar which was upstairs in one of the gay bars on Forbes. You have to be a member to even get into the main bar, or be a guest of someone who is a member. After last call, they open up the "other" bar upstairs and stay open until the wee hours of the morning.

When I was younger, my parents used to take us to this restaurant that was literally a cabin tucked away in the woods. It was part steak house part Italian restaurant, but similarly, it was really only a place the locals knew about. You had to drive a few miles into this wooded area, on this dead end road that took you straight to the restaurant. It was kind of creepy because there weren't even any street lights leading into the place - it was just a dirt road. We used to scare each other outside while our folks were paying the check, since it was literally pitch dark outside of the restaurant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom