OMG - I AM SOOO FAT!!!

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
7:42 AM
My nephew died in a car crash September 29 th. I wore a pair of black trouser to the memorial service. I wore the same trousers Christmas Eve. Last Saturday I had to attend a funeral for my Uncle. I planned to wear a black skirt that I purchased shortly before Thanksgiving. I could not even get close to zipping it up. I decided to wear my trousers. OMG! It took 20 minutes to get the trousers buttoned and hooked. I have gained 17 1/2 pounds since the end of September.
:hyper:
Ridiculous!!
So - starting Sunday I have been walking 30 minutes every day. Now my walk is somewhere between a shuffle and a stroll. My first goal is to tone and strengthen my leg muscles. I can not bend over or stoop down to pick up something that I have dropped on the floor. My 88 year old Mother is more limber than I am.

I am also seriously watching my diet.

Protein goal is 98 to 100 grams per day
No bread, rice, pasta, risotto, biscuits, grits, pancakes - you get the drift
Scheduled meals
Breakfast
2 oz (14 grams) protein (2 large eggs)
4 oz fruit
Lunch
5 oz. protein (35 grams)
1 cup veggies
salad
Mid afternoon
6 oz fat free Greek yogurt (16 grams protein)
2 oz. fruit
Dinner
5 oz protein (35 grams)
veggies and salad
I am not super rigid. I sometimes need a snack mid morning - so 2 3" celery ribs with a level of peanut butter or yogurt topped with slivers of grapes or chopped roasted almonds.
I like baby bell cheese. so a single baby bell sliced thin and topped with fruit or nuts. I sometimes crave a late night snack so the same are options.
Not every morning and not every night - just some days.
The big thing is getting off of my back side and walking.
I love my wine. That is going to the side. I am sticking to a vodka Martini or two in the evening.
I started Sunday weighing 152 1/2 lbs. I am 5'3" tall. I have no strength in my legs. Very bad shape.

So - we will see. G has a conference in NOLA in late April. I want to be back in shape so I can stroll the streets with the wives of his associates. The last time I attended a conference I ended up walking 1/2 block behind the other women. No they are not all younger than me. Most are close to my age. A couple are older.

I am so disgusted with myself. I have challenged G to get a grip on his weight.

I won't get back on the scale until next Sunday. Initially I am more concerned with strengthening and toning my legs. The weight loss will follow.

Women amuse me with their diets, my wife walks a lot, she's 5 foot, I'm 5 11, she walks quicker than me, I'm more laid back and a stroller, whereas she is a quick pace. She won't eat white bread or chocolate, but she always asks, if I'm going downstairs for a drink she will mostly say, get me something nice would you.that normally is two strips of chocolate. If I make garlic bread ( white bread) she's all over that as well. I really don't care about her weight, but she really does. I normally only have 1 meal a day, and s cup of tea. I don't worry about weight, it is what it is. I do physical work part time so I'm reasonably fit.

Russ

Backbay
I am trying.
It is not easy. I want brownies, cookies and dark chocolate candy. I am eating a lot of fruit and raw veggies to curb that need to snack.
I totally relate to your situation - I know I am fat when my sister tells me how she stays thin (unsolicited) - my thought, oh shut up 😜😜 I know my main problem is that I am far less active than I used to be and I need to force myself to get up and MOVE.. well, that and the weekend snacking. Oh well, tomorrow is another day! Feel free to vent anytime, here to lend support!

Russ it isn't about a diet. Diets do not work. A quick fix only. I have fallen into a very unhealthy life style. I do not want to diet. I want to live better. I need a diet with exercise to give me a kick start. The diet will evolve into a sustainable style of healthy eating. I will never go on one of those crazy all protein no carb diets. That is not sustainable. I eat beef. I eat skin on chicken. I eat pork, lamb, fish, shell fish and crustations. I drink whole milk, eat cheese, yogurt and use butter and cream. All in moderation. I get healthy carbs from fruit, vegetables and dairy products.

I am having to force myself to eat breakfast. I have never been a breakfast eater. So I eat breakfast, lunch, a mid afternoon snack and dinner. The upside is that I am not having those hunger attacks where I want to snack on junk.

I know that I am not happy with my lack of mobility and stamina. If you saw me you would not think that I was fat. Gaining 17 1/2 lbs. in a few months is not a good thing. I know that I am over weight bordering on obesity. If I tip over that line I may never get below it. I guess a 67th birthday is a slap in the face. I would like to hang around a while longer.

I really can not express how I feel right now. Disturbed, feeling older than I should, some what desperate. Physically I am older than my 88 year old Mother. I MUST make changes.

Russ it isn't about a diet. Diets do not work. A quick fix only. I have fallen into a very unhealthy life style. I do not want to diet. I want to live better. I need a diet with exercise to give me a kick start. The diet will evolve into a sustainable style of healthy eating. I will never go on one of those crazy all protein no carb diets. That is not sustainable. I eat beef. I eat skin on chicken. I eat pork, lamb, fish, shell fish and crustations. I drink whole milk, eat cheese, yogurt and use butter and cream. All in moderation. I get healthy carbs from fruit, vegetables and dairy products.

I am having to force myself to eat breakfast. I have never been a breakfast eater. So I eat breakfast, lunch, a mid afternoon snack and dinner. The upside is that I am not having those hunger attacks where I want to snack on junk.

I know that I am not happy with my lack of mobility and stamina. If you saw me you would not think that I was fat. Gaining 17 1/2 lbs. in a few months is not a good thing. I know that I am over weight bordering on obesity. If I tip over that line I may never get below it. I guess a 67th birthday is a slap in the face. I would like to hang around a while longer.

I really can not express how I feel right now. Disturbed, feeling older than I should, some what desperate. Physically I am older than my 88 year old Mother. I MUST make changes.

I feel for you, only you can do what you need to make you feel happy. Thoughts are with you.

Russ

ElizabethB - as my doctor once told me, "It's not rocket science - burn more calories than you consume, and you'll lose weight." - should point out, my doc weighs about 400 lbs. :)

Anyway, as someone who shed a lot of weight at one point, and who needs to shed some more, I can definitely tell you that losing weight in my mid-30's was dead easy; losing weight in my mid-50's is near impossible, so I feel for you.

All I can offer is encouragement and some things I'm sure you already know: move around as much as possible, and employ good portion control, and don't eat junk food.

Also, don't get discouraged too soon, as it can take a couple of months after you make healthy changes before you see some results.

losing weight in my mid-50's is near impossible

Everyone's different .. but I quit drinking in 2002 (at the age of 49) and I lost 30 pounds in 4 months, simply by exercising and eating sensibly. I've never put that weight back on - I exercise nearly every day and I eat more or less whatever I want.

I would suggest to ElizabethB that if she started a gentle exercise routine, she'd get plenty of support from the few other members of this forum who exercise regularly. Eating sensibly and exercising daily is the answer as far as I'm concerned.

I'm in my late 60s now and I ride my bike for an average of 90 minutes every day. I have no problems at all with my weight.

Biking, running, swimming, walking, or going to the gym - whatever you like .. but do it.

It works .. you just have to keep going until it becomes part of you - then you'll find that you'll miss it if you don't do it.

I eat more or less whatever I want.
If I ate more or less whatever I wanted, this would be my three-day meal plan:

Day one: fried egg, bacon, hash brown potatoes, and toast; two big slices of pizza; Big Mac and fries; chocolate cake.

Day two: waffles and sausage; Arby's Beef And Cheddar sandwich and potato cakes; Wendy's chili and fries; oatmeal raisin cookies.

Day three: egg burritos; Chicago-style hot dog and potato chips; more pizza; vanilla cake.

My drinks would be tea, beer, and Mountain Dew throughout the day.

Day four...I probably wouldn't live that long. :laugh:

TastyReuben
:laugh:

Thanks all for the encouragement.
Yes on the life style change.
#1. To start I am walking 30 minutes a day. Actually more of a stroll. A gentle upper body routine. The initial goal is to strengthen my leg, arm and shoulder muscles. I have already noticed that I walk a little further each day in the same amount of time. I will gradually increase the time.

#2 Change my eating habits. To start the bread, rice, pasta, risotto, grits, potatoes are off of my plate. After I reach my weight goal I can add some of that back in moderation. I am not using one of those diets that cuts all carbs. That is not sustainable. I am getting healthy carbs and fats from fruits, berries, vegetables and dairy. I am eating breakfast, lunch and dinner on a schedule and an afternoon snack of yogurt and fruit. I have to discipline myself to stay on a schedule. NO GRAZING.

I am not concerned about failure. I will succeed. I know better than to expect instant results. Patience and consistency are the key for me.

I'm up a good 20-plus pounds so far this year. I blame it on crappy weather and those winter blues. I've been hibernating. I just need to get outside and MOVE more.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom