OMG - I AM SOOO FAT!!!

TastyReuben
:laugh:

Thanks all for the encouragement.
Yes on the life style change.
#1. To start I am walking 30 minutes a day. Actually more of a stroll. A gentle upper body routine. The initial goal is to strengthen my leg, arm and shoulder muscles. I have already noticed that I walk a little further each day in the same amount of time. I will gradually increase the time.

#2 Change my eating habits. To start the bread, rice, pasta, risotto, grits, potatoes are off of my plate. After I reach my weight goal I can add some of that back in moderation. I am not using one of those diets that cuts all carbs. That is not sustainable. I am getting healthy carbs and fats from fruits, berries, vegetables and dairy. I am eating breakfast, lunch and dinner on a schedule and an afternoon snack of yogurt and fruit. I have to discipline myself to stay on a schedule. NO GRAZING.

I am not concerned about failure. I will succeed. I know better than to expect instant results. Patience and consistency are the key for me.

A personal thought: if you start to cut off bread/pasta/rice/grits/potatoes and add them again after,it’s not a good idea.
There aren’t good carbohydrates and bad ones, there is only a good balance of them. Eating everything, with moderation and have a variety of food.
Walking is a good thing, you can also walk only for 15 mins, not necessary 30 mins a day if you are not used to.

I suppose that I must be lucky. I put on a few pounds after I gave up smoking in 2013 but that was it. According to the charts I'm virtually spot on, weight for height (1.92m, 85 kg). I eat once per day in general and walk around a snooker table for 3½ hours twice a week. The fridge is 10 metres from my stoep which I must visit at least a dozen times a day. I rarely eat sweet items.

ElizabethB I hear you loud and clear, due to many issues I too have gained quite a bit, clothes don't fit etc..I start tomorrow. Being over weight makes me feel tired and lethargic all the time so for my physical and mental wellbeing I need to sort this out.
Good luck :thumbsup:

A personal thought: if you start to cut off bread/pasta/rice/grits/potatoes and add them again after,it’s not a good idea.
There aren’t good carbohydrates and bad ones, there is only a good balance of them. Eating everything, with moderation and have a variety of food.

Yes on the balance. I am cutting them out now because I eat too much of those types of carbs. At least daily and frequently more than once a day. Once I have reached my goal weight I will gradually introduce them back into my diet on a less frequent, moderate basis.

I am good with the 30 minute walk each day. I have noticed that I am walking a little further each day in the same amount of time. I will gradually increase the time a few minutes at a time. I do not intend to go crazy and try to do too much. That will burn me out and at my age I could hurt myself.

@ElizabethB I hear you loud and clear, due to many issues I too have gained quite a bit, clothes don't fit etc..I start tomorrow. Being over weight makes me feel tired and lethargic all the time so for my physical and mental wellbeing I need to sort this out.
Good luck :thumbsup:

DITTO

What is your plan of action? We can encourage and support each other. Go Girl.

Yes on the balance. I am cutting them out now because I eat too much of those types of carbs. At least daily and frequently more than once a day. Once I have reached my goal weight I will gradually introduce them back into my diet on a less frequent, moderate basis.

I am good with the 30 minute walk each day. I have noticed that I am walking a little further each day in the same amount of time. I will gradually increase the time a few minutes at a time. I do not intend to go crazy and try to do too much. That will burn me out and at my age I could hurt myself.

DITTO

As I am quite addicted to bread/pizza/focaccia/rice/pasta (and living in Italy doesn’t help to cut them off 😄) , I’ve also learned to listen to my body and its needs. Since carbs give addiction and my body often asked for them, I only started to diminish quantities and keep an eye on combos (for example, not pasta/rice with bread, unless is Sunday and I don’t want to cut off the scarpetta!) and I’ve started to want and not craving (sorry, I hope this makes sense) for them.

I also needed to move and make exercises and now they are part of me. When I can’t go out for a run or a long walk or going to swim, I make at least 15 mins a day of stretching (starting as I am waiting for coffee), gentle exercises, try to avoid to take car if I can go somewhere on foot.

Wishing you the best on this, Elizabeth B.

I am going to have to cut off some poundage myself. I need to get out and move more, and eat better, and stop with the drinks. I could lose a good 20-30 pounds. I'm tall but there's only so much extra I want hanging on me.

Now that the weather is improving, I can certainly walk more. You'd think with chickens they'd keep me in shape, but it doesn't work quite that way. I'll be cutting out the simple (high glycemic) carbs as often as possible. Back in the early part of the past decade (circa 2011), I lost nearly 40 pounds going modified Paleo (I still had milk in my coffee back then, and the occasional cheese thing). I kept the weight off until last spring, and although I don't weigh as much as I did at the worst time, I don't want to get back there. Abd indeed my goals this time are about 10 pounds more loss than I managed last time. We will see how that works - I'd landed at a plateau back then, but it was not a bad weight to be.

DITTO

I have challenged myself to walk 100km per month, walk to and from work every day, I have extended my walk in but home walk stays as it is, bought a fitness tracker to see if I can do 1000 steps per day, most important is stop snacking! Keep my hand out of the office biscuit tin, stop buying moccachino from the drinks machine, be more active in the evenings. All simple stuff but my mental health hasn't been brilliant lately so it all works against me. New month, new attitude.
We can do this :highfive:

mental health hasn't been brilliant lately so it all works against me. New month, new attitude.

DITTO

There is an upside. Yes - depression/mental health can keep me from getting out and moving. Moving improves the mental health.
In a week I have already noticed subtle changes. Every day it is easier to get myself out for my walk. Yesterday I emptied and organized my kitchen drawers. Something I have needed to do but could not motivate myself to get it done.

Hang in there. :highfive:

DITTO

There is an upside. Yes - depression/mental health can keep me from getting out and moving. Moving improves the mental health.
In a week I have already noticed subtle changes. Every day it is easier to get myself out for my walk. Yesterday I emptied and organized my kitchen drawers. Something I have needed to do but could not motivate myself to get it done.

We get stuck in a loop which isn't easy to break, 1 step at a time :hug:

DITTO

A loop that is difficult to break out off. It takes lots of small steps and the ability to recognize subtle changes/improvements. I am thinking about starting a journal to track my food intake and exercise. I also want to track those subtle changes.
Another one of those things that I have to quit thinking about and actually do.

DITTO

I have a friend in Auckland, (1 hr 40 min flight away) he has depression, he copes by running, he's fit as, last year he ran the Dublin marathon. Paris on about 5 years ago, he won a trip from his company. He's in a really good place. He stays here with me when he's in the South Island. And vice versa. We met through racing about 25 years ago, we have been good friends since then.

Russ

I have a friend in Auckland, (1 hr 40 min flight away) he has depression, he copes by running, he's fit as, last year he ran the Dublin marathon. Paris on about 5 years ago, he won a trip from his company. He's in a really good place. He stays here with me when he's in the South Island. And vice versa. We met through racing about 25 years ago, we have been good friends since then.

Russ

Exercise can help but everyone is different. Glad it works for your friend.

Women amuse me with their diets, my wife walks a lot, she's 5 foot, I'm 5 11, she walks quicker than me, I'm more laid back and a stroller, whereas she is a quick pace. She won't eat white bread or chocolate, but she always asks, if I'm going downstairs for a drink she will mostly say, get me something nice would you.that normally is two strips of chocolate. If I make garlic bread ( white bread) she's all over that as well. I really don't care about her weight, but she really does. I normally only have 1 meal a day, and s cup of tea. I don't worry about weight, it is what it is. I do physical work part time so I'm reasonably fit.

Russ

I would never go on a diet because they would not work for me, keeping to something so strict would soon lose it's appeal, I prefer to be sensible with food and exercise more (easier said than done)
One of my colleagues has done slimming world, it worked for her and she lost a lot of weight, but once she stopped it went on again and she is struggling to go back to it-counting syns etc... sorry but life is too short for that faff

Back
Top Bottom