Only 4 gadgets for the next month

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:07 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
If you could only have 4 kitchen gadgets or appliances for a the next month, what would you choose?

By kitchen gadgets/appliances, I mean things such as electric knives, tin openers, food processors, toasters, kettles, dishwashers, electric woks, crockpots, slow cookers, pressure cookers (any type), Kenwood Chef/mixers, mandolins, pastry cutters, cup measures. So everything running off electricity (except your fridge/freezer and cooker), and anything designed to make life significantly easier in the kitchen. If it needs elbow grease then you probably still need to count it!

I'll allow cookers (electric, gas, wood burning etc), baking trays/sheets, saucepans and frying pans hand whisks (as in balloon whisk), sieves, wooden spatulas (aka stirring sticks in this house) and fridge/freezers but anything else counts as one of your 4.

So what would your four be and why?

Kettle. I can't think of anything else I'd really need (although boiling water on the hob would be OK instead of a kettle).

This makes me realise that I really don't use electric appliances and gadgets very often - so perhaps as a keen cook, I'm rather unusual in that respect?

In fact, I can only think of four that I use in total anyway. Stick blender, kettle, toaster (I could do without and use cooker grill) and slow cooker. I don't even use the slow cooker very often now that I'm cooking vegan so much. Very occasionally I use an electric hand mixer. If dishwasher isn't included then I would definitely keep that!

I do sometimes use a smoking gun and a culinary blow torch but both are powered by lighter fuel.

Last edited:
Hmm, I guess I don't use any electric appliances. OK, so a coffee maker for my wife, and she often uses the toaster oven. And dishwasher. And blender.

But I prefer to wash dishes by hand, and I don't drink coffee. And I rarely have need for the toaster oven or blender.

So, on a personal note, nothing for me, thanks. I guess I'm quite simple. :oops:

Hmm, I guess I don't use any electric appliances. OK, so a coffee maker for my wife, and she often uses the toaster oven. And dishwasher. And blender.

But I prefer to wash dishes by hand, and I don't drink coffee. And I rarely have need for the toaster oven or blender.

So, on a personal note, nothing for me, thanks. I guess I'm quite simple. :oops:

Not even a kettle?

Stovetop kettle, or a regular pot if I'm making a large amount of tea for iced tea, or bori-cha, or oksusu-cha, or iced youthberry tea.

I've never really thought about it, but now that I have, those I do have are

Microwave oven; kettle; toaster; stick blender; slow cooker
Corkscrew; bottle opener; can opener; Y peeler;

I could boil water in a pan; make toast under the grill; cook stews in a pan; buy wine in a screw top bottle; beer in easy open cans; and peel veg with a paring knife
So the only really essential ones are a microwave oven and a can opener. To make it up to 4 I would add the kettle and the toaster

Absolutely definitely because I can't imagine life without them :
-Y shaped peeler
-Measuring scales

After that, I could probably manage, so I would choose :
-microwave for the amount of time, effort and washing up it saves
-toaster because it's better than using the grill

With my limited kitchen space this is easy for me. I have a kettle and microwave for heating up home made frozen soups etc. I also have a hand blender to make soups. And a 'Coffee' grinder to make spice mixes.
If I could have more then I choose a food processor and a bread maker. (But I don't have space for either)

Last edited:
I'm surprised given the number of people who have said that their recipes are all online, not one of you have mentioned access to recipes...
Plus right now every single cook is going with blunt knives for a month?
And with no timing devices? Kitchen timer.. Some microwaves have them but I bet a lot of us are using a timer of one kind of another...
Easy opening bottles aren't in the spirit of this idea, nor is dining wine from screw top bottles of your normal wine is corked.

Me, I can easily go without the kettle or the microwave.
The Spice blender and yoghurt maker could also really be managed without for a month.
I only use paper recipes in the kitchen which if anyone reads back they would already know, because I don't allow electronic devices like tablets, phones or computers into the kitchen (and most of my recipes are in cookbooks as it is, though I do have an electronic copy of some nowadays).
The Kenwood chef mixer is used a lot because of a bad wrist, so I would like that as one of my 4.
Experience has shown that I'll miss my Vitamix as well... So there's number 2.
The mini food processor rarely gets just because it's too small, so I can really do without.
A timer, that's a gadget, so I'd appreciate that, we use it a lot. No 3
After that it would have to be my whet stone to sharpen my knives. It's technically a gadget in reality and I hate blunt knives.
So I'd have to forgo the penknife which is our tin opener and bottle opener, but I rarely have tins to open and hubby could manage without beer for a month (don't let him read this but he only drinks 1 or 2 bottles a week anyway).
Other gadgets, well currently I can't think of anything tbh in our kitchen that I couldn't manage without, the stick blender rarely gets used, the lemon juicer (glass thing) I could easily manage without for a month, though it does get a lot of use. I don't use the cheese grater much at all, being allergic to dairy.
The colander gets used a fair bit, but I could manage without.
The hand whisk is the same, I use it a reasonable amount but could manage without.
The nut milk bags would be missed but I've reached my 4.
Things like the pastry brush or pastry cutter, cookie cutters, measuring spoons, scales, measuring cups, they would all be missed, but I lived for over a year without them when I lived on the road, so I know I can manage without.

That's it really...

Edited to correct if to I'll next to Vitamix...and just to use and the timer line!

Last edited:
Kettle, Halogen oven, Spice grinder, Rice cooker.

Big kitchen kettle, which is also a multicooker, stand mixer, food processor & an electric knife. Also, a blender.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom