TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
7:54 AM
Pork Stew with Anchovies and Peppers
Makes 8 servings

Ingredients
4 lbs boneless pork shoulder (aka pork butt, Boston butt), cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
7 TB olive oil (more or less, as needed)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup AP/plain flour
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup water
1 cup dry white wine
1 orange, juiced
2 TB minced anchovy fillets
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried oregano
2 bell peppers (anything but green), cut into strips
3 medium banana peppers, cut into strips
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped

Directions
Set oven to 200F. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high head in a large Dutch oven and blot pork cubes dry with paper towels. Working in batches so as not to crowd the pan, brown the pork cubes in the hot oil, adding more oil between batches, if necessary. As each batch browns, remove with a slotted spoon to a large bowl and set aside. When all the pork has browned, season liberally with black pepper, and lightly with the salt.

Add 2 more tablespoons of oil to the pot and add the onions, and stir to scrape up some of the brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Cook for 3 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium-low, add the garlic and stir, and cover. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring every so often. Add the flour and cook for another three minutes, stirring constantly.

Add the cooked pork (and the pork juices) back to the pot, as well as the chicken stock, water, wine, orange juice, anchovies, and dried herbs. Stir together well, bring to a slight boil, then cover the pot and place it in the preheated oven for 3 to 3-1/2 hours, until the meat is tender.

While the pot is in the oven, heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute the peppers until they start to brown, about 5 minutes or so. When the stew is ready, add the peppers and minced olives, stir through to warm, adjust seasonings, and serve.

Recipe adapted from The Cook's Bible, by Christopher Kimball

Cut WAY , WAY down on the anchovies and i think the recipe will be fine. I use 2 anchovy filets when I make Cesar dressing and i make about 2/3 cup. You don't notice the taste of anchovy at all.
Yeah, what I should have considered is that the recipe has “Anchovies” right there in the name, so I’m sure Mr. Kimball meant it to be a prominent flavor. I use anchovies (or anchovy paste) in other things and it’s fine.

Funny side note: I saw that recipe and thought it had some slightly unusual aspects, for me anyway, but later, when I was looking for examples of it online, there were virtually none, except…I did find one site that had an extremely similar recipe, and it was based on one from one of the Silver Palate chefs, and was apparently very popular in its time, but has sort of disappeared.

Oh Chris, say it ain’t so! You lifted a recipe without mentioning the source/inspiration! :laugh:

Me thinking out loud: I wonder if this recipe could work in the Instant Pot® ?
I really like pork but I always do a terrible job with it.
I’m sure it would - it basically uses the oven like a not-so-instant pot.

All the real work is the pork. The peppers get sautéed at the end and added in. I made the pork stew one day, then fixed up the peppers and olives the next.

I've been reading on the WWW to divide the recipe time by 3 + add 5% for each 1000 feet above 2000 feet in elevation = (for this recipe) 80 minutes for my house at just below 5000 feet above sea level.

Question: Does this sound about right to any one?

I've been reading on the WWW to divide the recipe time by 3 + add 5% for each 1000 feet above 2000 feet in elevation = (for this recipe) 80 minutes for my house at just below 5000 feet above sea level.

Question: Does this sound about right to any one?
Just cube the pork and pressure-cook for around 80 - 90 minutes.

Cut WAY , WAY down on the anchovies and i think the recipe will be fine. I use 2 anchovy filets when I make Cesar dressing and i make about 2/3 cup. You don't notice the taste of anchovy at all.

I'd agree. Pork is a mild meat and the amount of anchovy does seem rather a lot here. I'd go further, and say that the olives might be too much too, depending on how salty they are.

But the wine, orange juice and peppers with this slow cooked pork sound very good. Not sure about the need for flour though. I suppose I'm struggling here to place this recipe, It seems on the face of it to be Mediterranean inspired - but the use of flour wouldn't be typical with olives, peppers and anchovies. I'm fine with fusion food and mixing things. But I don't really 'get' this recipe.

Sorry to be so critical! But we are all grown ups here I hope. :)

I'd agree. Pork is a mild meat and the amount of anchovy does seem rather a lot here. I'd go further, and say that the olives might be too much too, depending on how salty they are.

Sorry to be so critical! But we are all grown ups here I hope. :)

My first thought was anchovies AND flies was probably a bit over the top.

Good advice, although TR may never speak to us again. :cry: :D

CD

Not sure about the need for flour though. I suppose I'm struggling here to place this recipe, It seems on the face of it to be Mediterranean inspired - but the use of flour wouldn't be typical with olives, peppers and anchovies.

The flour makes sense to me, since it is a stew. It is obviously a thickening agent, mixed into the fat.

CD

Back
Top Bottom