Recipe Pork Stew with Anchovies and Peppers

IMG_6151.jpeg

:laugh:

It's being used to thicken slightly, making a roux, instead of cornstarch or arrowroot or whatever.
The flour makes sense to me, since it is a stew. It is obviously a thickening agent, mixed into the fat.

CD
I know this of course, but I find a flour thickened stew at odds with olives, anchovies, peppers and orange juice.

Fair enough. Maybe I am reading too much into it. 🤷‍♀️ I would need to cook the recipe to really know!

Looking at TR's photo, I'm with medtran. It looks the consistency of gumbo, not a gravy thickness like some stews have.

CD

No offence to TR, and "BRAVO!" for trying something new, but...
I think whoever invented this changed his mind half way through. He started off thinking "Mediterranean", with the anchovies, olives, peppers, olive oil... and then went off the rails. I don't think I'd want any flour in that at all; just reduce the cooking liquid to a minimum.

I think whoever invented this changed his mind half way through. He started off thinking "Mediterranean", with the anchovies, olives, peppers, olive oil... and then went off the rails. I don't think I'd want any flour in that at all; just reduce the cooking liquid to a minimum.

If I were to cook this, I'd lose the olives and the anchovies -- those seem out of place, to me. I'm fine with the flour.

CD

Its interesting that you concur with me on this. Maybe its the fact that in the UK we have a closer links to Mediterranean food and so we find the use of flour odd with the other ingredients.

If it's not traditional it's a fusion dish nowadays. When reducing the last bits of unnecessary water it can burn pretty fast, so I would prefer some roux in mine, also because it makes it easier to adapt for northern folks

Back
Top Bottom