Recipe Portobello Tagliatelle with Roasted Garlic

Actually, the other thing that interests me in your OP, @The Late Night Gourmet is the drying process you demonstrate. I have to say, whenever I have made pasta, I have always cooked it straight away, without drying it. It seems counter-intuitive to me. Why would you dry it having freshly made it? I’m not sure what drying it is meant to achieve. Please understand, I have seen others do it, it is not that I am asserting that it is a bad idea, I just don’t understand the rationale behind it.

I went to Sainsbury’s today, looking for the dried Porcini mushrooms @morning glory put me on to previously, and look what I found.

IMG_1053.JPG

Huh, pictures, a thousand words, you know the rest.

IMG_1054.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

Mushroom tagliatelle coated in Alfredo sauce (butter, olive oil, garlic, double cream, white pepper, parmesan cheese) served with strips of batted out sirloin steak fried mad hot, no more than 2 minutes a side, then rested while cooking the pasta – no more than 3 minutes. Steak cut into strips and added to the pasta after resting.

IMG_1059.JPG

And @epicuric, guess what we had it with? The Faugeres. I know, Italian meal, French wine, but it was good, and I mean really good. If I went in one of the local Italian restaurants and ordered that, I would be content paying the bill.

Thanks for a fabulous idea, @The Late Night Gourmet.

I went to Sainsbury’s today, looking for the dried Porcini mushrooms @morning glory put me on to previously, and look what I found.

View attachment 7154

View attachment 7155

View attachment 7156

View attachment 7157

View attachment 7158

Mushroom tagliatelle coated in Alfredo sauce (butter, olive oil, garlic, double cream, white pepper, parmesan cheese) served with strips of batted out sirloin steak fried mad hot, no more than 2 minutes a side, then rested while cooking the pasta – no more than 3 minutes. Steak cut into strips and added to the pasta after resting.

View attachment 7159

And @epicuric, guess what we had it with? The Faugeres. I know, Italian meal, French wine, but it was good, and I mean really good. If I went in one of the local Italian restaurants and ordered that, I would be content paying the bill.

Fantastic! I have never seen dried Portobello mushrooms. But wow! And your pasta strips look perfectly cut. I'm very impressed.

View attachment 7154

View attachment 7155

View attachment 7156

View attachment 7157

View attachment 7158

View attachment 7159

I would have happily paid good money for that meal. Glad you enjoyed the wine. Are you going to post the tagliatelle recipe? Or maybe you have and I've missed it. I am looking for a healthy pasta dough recipe, was thinking along the wholewheat route but can't find a recipe that looks reliable.

I would have happily paid good money for that meal. Glad you enjoyed the wine. Are you going to post the tagliatelle recipe? Or maybe you have and I've missed it. I am looking for a healthy pasta dough recipe, was thinking along the wholewheat route but can't find a recipe that looks reliable.
The recipe is based on an original post from @The Late Night Gourmet - a thread which has some good discussion. Portobello Tagliatelle with Roasted Garlic

I've not attempted wholemeal pasta - wholemeal bread is generally heavier and coarser in texture than white and I imagine pasta made from wholemeal might be difficult to roll without it crumbling. But I'm only guessing! Now I will have to try it...

The recipe for that mushroom tagliatelle is in the OP of this thread, posted by @The Late Night Gourmet, whose genius idea it was. Isn't it always the hallmark of a great idea that as soon as you hear it, it seems so blinding obvious. I could have thought of that. Yeah, but I didn't. The key difference is, as demonstrated in his OP, @The Late Night Gourmet dried the mushrooms himself, whereas I cheated and bought dried mushrooms. But I do have to say that they worked very well.

The Alfredo sauce recipe I found on the internet, here

http://www.food.com/recipe/better-than-olive-garden-alfredo-sauce-141983

As you can tell from my pictures, I made the kind of quantity to coat the pasta rather than have lots of visible sauce. It is a rich sauce and I think it worked that way.

And the steak I described how I did that in my post.

Do let us know if you do decide to do it.

Actually, when I think about it @epicuric, I should be fair to you and give you a little bit more of what I did when I made the pasta, that @The Late Night Gourmet doesn’t really cover in his post. I hope he doesn’t mind. In his recipe, @The Late Night Gourmet specifies 8 ounces of mushrooms. You can’t really see it in the picture, but that packet of dried mushrooms weighed 30g. That’s barely more than 1/8th the weight. But I am guessing that the 8 ounces must be the weight before he dried them. Certainly, I used the whole packet of dried mushroom, but once I had blitzed them in the spice grinder they constituted negligible weight – my kitchen scales could barely register their weight. I then added the powdered mushroom to 500g of 00 flour. And now comes the real point – the amount of egg I used. I started with two whole eggs, and four egg yolks and made the first (the slightly larger) of the two balls you can see in the picture. As you might tell, I had a lot of flour left, so I then mixed another whole egg and two more egg yolks to make the second, slightly smaller ball. Actually, at that, the second ball was still a little bit too wet so I did have to add just a small amount more flour to get it just right. Those two balls together weighed about 750g. I then actually made the two rolled out sheets you see in the picture and then the tagliatelle you see in the next picture only from the larger of the two balls. So, I suppose they constituted about 400g of pasta, and it made a generous plate for my wife and myself with certainly a full plate of pasta left over.

Actually, when I think about it @epicuric, I should be fair to you and give you a little bit more of what I did when I made the pasta, that @The Late Night Gourmet doesn’t really cover in his post. I hope he doesn’t mind. In his recipe, @The Late Night Gourmet specifies 8 ounces of mushrooms. You can’t really see it in the picture, but that packet of dried mushrooms weighed 30g. That’s barely more than 1/8th the weight. But I am guessing that the 8 ounces must be the weight before he dried them. Certainly, I used the whole packet of dried mushroom, but once I had blitzed them in the spice grinder they constituted negligible weight – my kitchen scales could barely register their weight. I then added the powdered mushroom to 500g of 00 flour. And now comes the real point – the amount of egg I used. I started with two whole eggs, and four egg yolks and made the first (the slightly larger) of the two balls you can see in the picture. As you might tell, I had a lot of flour left, so I then mixed another whole egg and two more egg yolks to make the second, slightly smaller ball. Actually, at that, the second ball was still a little bit too wet so I did have to add just a small amount more flour to get it just right. Those two balls together weighed about 750g. I then actually made the two rolled out sheets you see in the picture and then the tagliatelle you see in the next picture only from the larger of the two balls. So, I suppose they constituted about 400g of pasta, and it made a generous plate for my wife and myself with certainly a full plate of pasta left over.
I will definitely try this. I have a big tub of dried porcini mushrooms but they are very intense, so not sure if they would work. Are dried portobello mushrooms milder in flavour?

The recipe for that mushroom tagliatelle is in the OP of this thread, posted by @The Late Night Gourmet, whose genius idea it was. Isn't it always the hallmark of a great idea that as soon as you hear it, it seems so blinding obvious. I could have thought of that. Yeah, but I didn't. The key difference is, as demonstrated in his OP, @The Late Night Gourmet dried the mushrooms himself, whereas I cheated and bought dried mushrooms. But I do have to say that they worked very well.

The Alfredo sauce recipe I found on the internet, here

http://www.food.com/recipe/better-than-olive-garden-alfredo-sauce-141983

As you can tell from my pictures, I made the kind of quantity to coat the pasta rather than have lots of visible sauce. It is a rich sauce and I think it worked that way.

And the steak I described how I did that in my post.

Do let us know if you do decide to do it.
I love how yours turned out. At first, I thought you'd cut up portobellos and put them among the mushroom pasta, but steak is so much better! The umami on that plate is so massive that my mouth is literally watering just looking at it.

To answer your question from earlier, fresh pasta is allowed to dry before boiling to reduce the chances of sticking in the pot. I still give the pasta a swirl with tongs after plopping it in the water, since I don't trust the dry surface alone to do the job (particularly since the dry surface is immediately wet again as soon as it hits the water). And, even then, I still sometimes have to separate the strands after removing from the water.

I will definitely try this. I have a big tub of dried porcini mushrooms but they are very intense, so not sure if they would work. Are dried portobello mushrooms milder in flavour?

It's an interesting point @epicuric. The only reason I used Portobello mushrooms is because that is what @The Late Night Gourmet had used, and he seemed to know what he was doing! All I can say is, I liked the result. But I certainly do intend to try making some mushroom pasta using dried Porcini mushrooms, and I'll let you know if I find it too strong. I somehow doubt that I will. But whether there is some distinct, discernible difference between the two versions will be interesting.

I love how yours turned out. At first, I thought you'd cut up portobellos and put them among the mushroom pasta, but steak is so much better! The umami on that plate is so massive that my mouth is literally watering just looking at it.

It was a recipe - if that is the right term in this case - idea that developed. I loved the idea of the mushroom pasta from the moment you posted it up, but then when you mentioned the Alfredo sauce it chimed something in my memory and I looked it up and it just seemed to me to be the perfect accompaniment to the mushroom pasta. Then, carnivores that my wife and I are, I was thinking about what meat to have with it, and I first contemplated having either a chicken breast or a steak sort of sat along side the pasta. But then I thought about another recipe I did recently, and the idea occurred to me to do the batted out steak cut into strips. It means you can cook it really quickly and get it nicely caramelised on the outside while keeping it moist but not too rare. Then having the strips of steak through the pasta was the obviously right thing to do.

It was a recipe - if that is the right term in this case - idea that developed. I loved the idea of the mushroom pasta from the moment you posted it up, but then when you mentioned the Alfredo sauce it chimed something in my memory and I looked it up and it just seemed to me to be the perfect accompaniment to the mushroom pasta. Then, carnivores that my wife and I are, I was thinking about what meat to have with it, and I first contemplated having either a chicken breast or a steak sort of sat along side the pasta. But then I thought about another recipe I did recently, and the idea occurred to me to do the batted out steak cut into strips. It means you can cook it really quickly and get it nicely caramelised on the outside while keeping it moist but not too rare. Then having the strips of steak through the pasta was the obviously right thing to do.
I noticed that your pasta ended up with the same sort of speckling that mine had. I wondered if perhaps I hadn't removed all the moisture from the mushrooms, but you started with dried mushrooms, so that's not likely the story. I think it's simply that there's only so much that a cheap grinder can do. And, to be honest, I like the look better than if I had a high-powered food mill that would reduce the mushroom to powder and just give us a plain brown pasta. How boring would that be?

I noticed that your pasta ended up with the same sort of speckling that mine had. I wondered if perhaps I hadn't removed all the moisture from the mushrooms, but you started with dried mushrooms, so that's not likely the story. I think it's simply that there's only so much that a cheap grinder can do. And, to be honest, I like the look better than if I had a high-powered food mill that would reduce the mushroom to powder and just give us a plain brown pasta. How boring would that be?

Oh absolutely, I think the speckled effect is entirely desirable, and exactly what I expected. The pasta had a definite mushroom flavour, and I think, the mushroom had an effect on the texture of the pasta too. But it was all to great effect for me. I liked the idea and I liked the result.

I think all mushrooms intensify in flavour when dried so you could probably use any sort. In fact, using a whole packet does seem a lot but if it worked then it worked!

A recipe I found suggests the following quantities:

11 ounces all-purpose flour
5-6 teaspoons powdered porcini mushrooms
4 large eggs
1 Tablespoon olive oil

Back
Top Bottom