Pressure Cookers: what do you use them for?

Do you use a pressure cooker?

• I don't have one

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I have one but I don't use it much

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I'm frightened of them

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I use it a lot

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
Pressure cookers scare me so no help from me.

Anyone who's never tried using a pressure cooker before, or even thinks that they're dangerous without even learning more about them, they'll quickly assume that the wrong things about them. And so, one automatically assumes that the worst is going to happen. Their #1 fear above all else, believe it or not, is that it might blow up during use.

But when used properly, and according to the manufacturer's instructions, they are just about as safe as an ordinary pot. I still have YET to hear about one having blown up. Because there are built-in safety features that help preclude that mishap from ever happening.

They're met with very strict manufacturing safety standards and comply with United Labratories (their 2-letter logo is stamped on these and most other consumer products for home use), meaning that they are very safe to use and meet or exceed all safety requirements set forth by the U.S. Gov't. The only time that they would ever become dangerous to use is if the owner or consumer messes up in some way and puts himself or herself in harm's way. This is why very strict instructions are given and should be followed with each one.

Respect the unit and the use of one, and it'll give you many, many, many years of safe, trouble-free reliable and enjoyable operation. Replace the gaskets, handles and other parts when they begin to crack or wear out (I've done that with one of mine, I've replaced the gasket and handles, and it still works like new), and you'll be helping the unit maintain its reliable trouble-free & safe qualities.

In other words, treat it right, and it'll be your friend for life. Just make sure that you "dot the i's and cross the t's". That's a true guarantee! :wink:

Last edited:
They don't scare me exactly. I just hate the 'not knowing'. But are you saying that you don't have one? I wonder if @Shermie does?
Perhaps I should set a poll... done.
Presto 16-qt Pressure Canner..jpg

Here it is!
\
A monster 16-qt size! A Presto Pressure Canner / Cooker. :wink:

I mainly use it for making Boston Baked Beans and cooking large amounts of collard greens to keep in the freezer so that I don't have to9 cook them as often. :wink:
Can I assume you start with dried navy beans for your BBB?

I don't think there's a week goes by that I don't use mine during the colder months - its so convenient and easy. I have an electric one so its simple to just programme it and then leave it to do it's stuff. In the past week I've used it to cook chickpeas, red kidney beans, rice and chinese beef and broccoli (its fab for dried beans - I no longer need to remember to soak them the day before). I also use it for stews, soups, stock, corned beef, braised meat dishes and steaming veg.

Mine is also a slow cooker so it gets double the use....but that's a bit off-topic for this thread ;-)

Well, @Shermie, I'm going to have to get mine out of the cupboard. So what shall I cook?

Try doing a pot roast in it.

Season and sear the meat as you would in a regular pot. Add chopped or sliced onions, bell peppers & carrots. Add water to almost cover, seal the lid and let pressure build up. Reduce heat and let the meat cook for about 45 - 60 minutes. :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom