Show us your cupboards and drawers!

IMG_20161017_154658971 (1).jpg
IMG_20161017_154727882 (1).jpg
IMG_20161019_142637424 (1).jpg
IMG_20161011_115200883 (1).jpg
IMG_20161019_142729691 (1).jpg
IMG_20161011_115212749.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What on earth happen to them? Just about any set will last long if it is taken cake of. :ohmy:
I did have them for a while, but add one husband who likes to do his own thing where cooking is concerned, one teenaged daughter who used to use them after school, and three stepchildren who couldn't look after anything if they tried..... I do have other pans which I use regularly that are coming up to their 50th birthday and some left from a set that are nearly 25 years old. I also have a set of stainless steel pans that I bought about 15 years ago simply because they were on stupidly cheap special offer. They became my favourites and are used every day. The 50 year old ones are used in the oven, and the 25 year old ones are spares (they are a little bit too big for every day use nowadays).

OK, I finally got around to it. (Had to use flash as I was too lazy to set up the tripod).
Spices (except for the ones to which the ants are partial; (paprika, coriander seeds, regular cumin seeds, turmeric, mustard powder) which are kept in the fridge).

Having replaced the spice cupboard I also used it as an opportunity to tidy up the spices.

I have very little in my kitchen cupboards, apart from some homemade Focaccia, a box of water biscuits for cheese, 000 flour for making pasta and about 4 litres of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. My fridge contains eggs, cheese, pancetta, three lemons half a dozen Tropea onions, milk, fresh spinach and a couple of bottles of wine. Most of the herbs I use I grow in my greenhouse.
I shop daily as we have a very good Deli a 5 minute walk from my house, just a habit. I hate to throw away food; I know what I am making on a daily basis so I only buy what I need for a given recipe, tonight I am making Garlic and lemon chicken, the chicken has been spatch cocked and has been marinating overnight. which reminds me I have to get some fennel.
Sarana x

Ok, here we go, left to right around the food prep area:

First cupboard contains oils, vinegars, and the like, jams, jellies, spreads (opened ones are in the fridge), and rice, grains, and crackers, and some dog food:

Next one has different flours (that cupboard goes way back, so there are five bags of flour) and related stuff (bench flour, wheat gluten, etc), then medications on the second shelf, and the top shelf is oil for my wooden stuff, a mini slow cooker, my measuring cups, and some canisters that are going into the donate pile. What you can't see is that I also have measuring cups hanging from the inside of the door

Next one is something of a catch-all: some more baking and sugar-related stuff (sorghum, honey, etc) and some oatmeal/hot cereal items. MrsTasty buys instant oatmeal and then never eats it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Next shelf up, just some fruit packs and some unopened condiments, and the top shelf has mixing bowls. There are also prep bowls on the bottom shelf:

It may seem strange to have cooking items mixed with some food items, but I like have mixing bowls, measuring cups, and prep bowls within arm's reach of my prepping station, as well as having pantry foods nearby as well.

Next one is just cereals and a container of raisins for the cereals:

Next up is the bottom of a tall cabinet. I put in a double drawer thingy, and the bottom drawer is used for pasta and some miscellaneous stuff (paper napkins), and the top one contains our snacks and cookies/biscuits:

The next bit of that tall cupboard contains some additional baking stuff (baking powder, baking soda, salt, etc) and spices. That's also where the popcorn is. We pop a lot of popcorn, and that little hanging thing has cooking nuts, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, that sort of thing. There is a lot of wasted space in those, as I don't like reaching too far back to search for something. I want it visible and right at hand:

Finally, not a cupboard, but I'll add it, the remainder of the spices. I could no doubt fit them in with the others, but it'd ultimately make them harder to find (see wasted space comment above), and that spice rack was something I personally picked out as part of our wedding registry, and I still like it. The front has different foods listed with compatible herbs and spices, and the inside door has herbs and spices listed with foods they complement:

Ok, here we go, left to right around the food prep area:

First cupboard contains oils, vinegars, and the like, jams, jellies, spreads (opened ones are in the fridge), and rice, grains, and crackers, and some dog food:

Next one has different flours (that cupboard goes way back, so there are five bags of flour) and related stuff (bench flour, wheat gluten, etc), then medications on the second shelf, and the top shelf is oil for my wooden stuff, a mini slow cooker, my measuring cups, and some canisters that are going into the donate pile. What you can't see is that I also have measuring cups hanging from the inside of the door

Next one is something of a catch-all: some more baking and sugar-related stuff (sorghum, honey, etc) and some oatmeal/hot cereal items. MrsTasty buys instant oatmeal and then never eats it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Next shelf up, just some fruit packs and some unopened condiments, and the top shelf has mixing bowls. There are also prep bowls on the bottom shelf:

It may seem strange to have cooking items mixed with some food items, but I like have mixing bowls, measuring cups, and prep bowls within arm's reach of my prepping station, as well as having pantry foods nearby as well.

Next one is just cereals and a container of raisins for the cereals:

Next up is the bottom of a tall cabinet. I put in a double drawer thingy, and the bottom drawer is used for pasta and some miscellaneous stuff (paper napkins), and the top one contains our snacks and cookies/biscuits:

The next bit of that tall cupboard contains some additional baking stuff (baking powder, baking soda, salt, etc) and spices. That's also where the popcorn is. We pop a lot of popcorn, and that little hanging thing has cooking nuts, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, that sort of thing. There is a lot of wasted space in those, as I don't like reaching too far back to search for something. I want it visible and right at hand:

Finally, not a cupboard, but I'll add it, the remainder of the spices. I could no doubt fit them in with the others, but it'd ultimately make them harder to find (see wasted space comment above), and that spice rack was something I personally picked out as part of our wedding registry, and I still like it. The front has different foods listed with compatible herbs and spices, and the inside door has herbs and spices listed with foods they complement:

These are impossibly neat and clean cupboards. The first thing I noticed is that everything is arranged so that it doesn't touch against anything else. :eek: You would hate my cupboards.

These are impossibly neat and clean cupboards. The first thing I noticed is that everything is arranged so that it doesn't touch against anything else. :eek: You would hate my cupboards.
Thanks for saying they're neat and clean. I look at them and don't really see it, though. :(

I will say this - I have zero patience for having to pick up something or move something to get to something else.

Also, and I sure wish I knew why I'm like this, but I get really (and I mean really) perturbed if I have to go after something in the kitchen and it takes two hands to do it. I want to reach in a cupboard and pull out the spice I want. I want to reach up and grab the pan I need, and not have to use my other hand to move something aside in order to grab it.

I have things in the kitchen that I rarely use and should get rid of simply because it's a pain in the butt to dig them out, so I won't do it. I have a $400US (1990's prices) stainless steel, completely submersible top-of-the-line electric skillet that works a treat, temperature-controlled, a real beauty, but I use it mainly once a year, just because I have to store it in a bottom cupboard and to get it out, I have to get down on all fours, then reach in with both hands to drag it out. Many's the time I think, "You know, that skillet would be perfect for cooking this in...forget it, I'm not getting down on the floor to haul that thing out!" 😠

Back
Top Bottom