Simple cooking cheats

Yes…I had to try it, once. And I do mean once. Getting those little things to cook properly, and then peeling the shells off, was pretty ridiculous. Tasty, but ridiculous.

You didn't read my tip on how to easily peel them? #4

Cooking them is easy too - boil for 1 minute 45 secs for soft-boiled or 2 mins 15 for hard-boiled Simples... :)

Last edited:
Speaking of meatballs...if you're making a very lean mixture (as I often try to do), with ground chicken and minimal breadcrumbs, you'll find that the meat is very sticky at room temperature and hard to work with. The solution? Put the meat in the freezer for a while. Check it after an hour, and chill some more if it's still too sticky. You'll find that the meat behaves itself when it's not so warm.

I often cheat using the jars of minced ginger and garlic (separate not the ready mixed). I find the Asian brands best. Not quite as good as fresh (as I'm using today) but quick and easy for an after work me. And your hands don't smell (though I'll try your tip @MrsDangermouse )

Also works with cupcakes (a friend told me this so I went and bought an ice cream scoop.)
Dimsum? Isn't the scoop too big? I would have thought a melon baller.

They make small scoops, right around a tablespoon. There may be even smaller ones, I've just never looked for them. The scoops come in lots of sizes.

Back
Top Bottom