Snails anyone?

I knew I had a picture of the snails somewhere. This is an excellent brand if you run across it. They sell just the snail as well.
37240-albums1070-picture6841.jpg

Found one with them cooked.

37240-albums1041-picture6844.jpg

We had a small plates meal with them, mini meatballs in a saffron sauce, and fried cauliflower florets with an agliata sauce.

Last edited:
Sounds like the lovebugs in central Florida during mating season, except their remains will strip the paint right off your car.
Can't get their innards off the car windscreen once dry. The front of hubby's car has a yellow hue to it despite it being a black car .everything right down to the roo bars all have a yellow hue. I think it will be going into a professional car cleaning place at the end of the season to see if they can work their magic. It's $$$ but twice a year minimum is needed to keep a vehicle vaguely clean when you cover the distance we do on dirt roads :(

I ate one once. It was part of a tasting plate of local delicacies at a wedding in France. We started eating at 8pm and finished at 2am. All I remember is that it was very garlicy but I did not really see the appeal of the texture and would rather have a garlic mushroom. Which was what my friend thought it was.

Last edited:
My first thought was the "Pretty Woman " reference . "Slipperly little sucker's "
My first experience with escargot was in the early 70's. Not good. Over cooked and rubbery. Since then I have had wonderful escargot. Tender, buttery, garlicky. Delightful when preparing properly.

Well, I'm a new member so pardon me for chiming in on an older thread. I love escargot and would love a recipe for it. Way back when my first born came into this world my ex-wife would do two things for me on a Saturday. She'd go into town and get me a case of beer and make me escargot. Me, I'd sit outside with chicken on the bbq. A day long affair. No, I didn't drink the case in a day, :) But, I ate all the escargot and chicken...

Anyway, if anyone has a good recipe I'm all ears!

Monday night I was watching a local show where 3 different people pick 3 different restaurants and they each go to all 3 and then review on the show. One of the restaurants featured Monday night was French place that had escargot on the menu. The host of the show, Chef Michelle Bernstein, always does a short cooking segment. She chose escargot bruschetta for this show. She put the snail bodies in a fairly hot pan, then poured in some white wine and Pernod and let the liquids reduce. Then, she mixed very finely chopped shallots, finely minced garlic, lots of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, and sea salt into room temperature butter. Mixed that up and then dropped a huge dollop of that into the pan with the reduced liquors and snails. She then placed the mixture on toasted, lightly garlic rubbed crusty bread.

Snails were on the menu last night at a foreign restaurant we went to last night with dinner club. Belgian beer house called the torrenhof or something stupid like that. I had the pork belly. It was to die for. Prolly the best belly I've ever had.

Russ

She put the snail bodies in a fairly hot pan, then poured in some white wine and Pernod and let the liquids reduce. Then, she mixed very finely chopped shallots, finely minced garlic, lots of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, and sea salt into room temperature butter. Mixed that up and then dropped a huge dollop of that into the pan with the reduced liquors and snails. She then placed the mixture on toasted, lightly garlic rubbed crusty bread.

Well - that sounds pretty good.

I love snails.

But parents brought them home when I was a kid and served them, mostly when we had houseguests, so never thought anything "ick" about them.

Often, it is all a matter of how you are raised. (I try nearly anything once. No endangered species, though.)

My brother, who also loves snails, gave me a case of 6 tins for my birthday one year. YUM. Discovered in moving I have one left...

I love snails.

But parents brought them home when I was a kid and served them, mostly when we had houseguests, so never thought anything "ick" about them.

Often, it is all a matter of how you are raised. (I try nearly anything once. No endangered species, though.)

My brother, who also loves snails, gave me a case of 6 tins for my birthday one year. YUM. Discovered in moving I have one left...

Do they survive canning OK? I had sort of assumed that fresh would be better as with seafood.

Back
Top Bottom