Status on MorningGlory

Not really. I did to start with, from a crisis care team but now that is just once a week. The biggest problem is that he needs to go for daily walks. Its his main love and he goes stir crazy otherwise. I am still seeking a solution, as social care (private or charity) won't provide that. It seems like a simple thing but for various reasons, it isn't.
I know this could be taken the wrong way, but it sounds like what you need is a dog walker to take him out.

Like i said it could really be taken the wrong way.

Not really. I did to start with, from a crisis care team but now that is just once a week. The biggest problem is that he needs to go for daily walks. Its his main love and he goes stir crazy otherwise. I am still seeking a solution, as social care (private or charity) won't provide that. It seems like a simple thing but for various reasons, it isn't.
I know what you are going through. A friend from our dinner club is going through the same thing here. He hasn't been for a year then he was all over the place with his speech. My bestie and I were I'm the pub last week when his wife led him in.he sat at our table. Staring into space and non verbal. Gone downhill really fast. His wife is st her wits end. She bought him to the pub to have a break from him. She left him with us while she played the pokies. We sat with him for 30 mins.
Very very hard to see. She is still on dinner club but gets her son to sit withhim. If steve is like that you need HELPING!!!!
Sorry for your circumstances. :(

Russ

I know this could be taken the wrong way, but it sounds like what you need is a dog walker to take him out.

Like i said it could really be taken the wrong way.
I was just thinking the same thing
I know that there is such a thing, at least here in America... heh! what about a walking group in your area?
Maidstone Ramblers Walking Group
Maybe see if you could contact someone within the group that would pick Steve up and bring him home after a walk?
edit - or even hire a dog walker for that matter...

How about neighbors? If I lived near you, I'm sure I could find at least a couple days a week to go for a walk with him.

CD

I know that there is such a thing, at least here in America... heh! what about a walking group in your area?
Maybe see if you could contact someone within the group that would pick Steve up and bring him home after a walk?

Contacting a walking group/club is a great idea.

CD

Contacting a walking group/club is a great idea.

CD
what about a walking group in your area?
The ramblers association isn't really the right 'walking' group though I don't think. I've walked with them in the past because of in-laws ties to them. They are a social, chatty group. In fact both of my in-laws used to be walk leaders (they ran a group locally until a few years ago). It isn't pavements and parks, it's more countryside, muddy footpaths, uneven bridleways, climbing over stiles, and some times walking up 'mountains'... though that would be a substantial challenge in Kent with it lacking much in the way of hills, let alone mountains. They grade the walks by length and difficultly and members are expected to be able to get to the start location and home again, to take care of themselves, sit down at lunchtime and eat lunch (or buy a pub lunch) and have suitable footwear and waterproofs, rucksack etc. I think that is a bit beyond MGs partners ability from the impression I've built up.

It is possible that they could help but I would be very surprised if they did tbh. :(

Yes there are is a dementia walking group but he would need to be transported there and accompanied on the walk. Its only once a week and wouldn't really solve the issue as he needs to get out every day really. The biggest problem is that he needs to urinate every 40 minutes or so. As urinating in public is illegal, the care workers won't walk him. I did get the charity care worker to take him for 20 minutes today and he was fine. I only let him drink one cup of tea prior to this.

How about neighbors? If I lived near you, I'm sure I could find at least a couple days a week to go for a walk with him.

CD

I've two neighbours who are friendly. But its a big ask to request them to do a regular morning walk with someone who has dementia. One of them works during the day anyway and the other is recovering from a hip operation!

I thought about this but I don't really know anyone. I see them walk past but I can hardly accost a stranger and ask them to take Steve with them. He has set ways and needs to follow a routine. I'd need to advertise and I'm very wary about doing that for obvious reasons. The urinating is obviously an issue too and also, he can be quite 'truculent' about the route he walks. With me and my son and daughter he is fine and does as he is told. But when he goes with care workers he tries to take charge. I can't see any of this working with a dog walker really.

Yes there are is a dementia walking group but he would need to be transported there and accompanied on the walk. Its only once a week and wouldn't really solve the issue as he needs to get out every day really. The biggest problem is that he needs to urinate every 40 minutes or so. As urinating in public is illegal, the care workers won't walk him. I did get the charity care worker to take him for 20 minutes today and he was fine. I only let him drink one cup of tea prior to this.

I've two neighbours who are friendly. But its a big ask to request them to do a regular morning walk with someone who has dementia. One of them works during the day anyway and the other is recovering from a hip operation!

I thought about this but I don't really know anyone. I see them walk past but I can hardly accost a stranger and ask them to take Steve with them. He has set ways and needs to follow a routine. I'd need to advertise and I'm very wary about doing that for obvious reasons. The urinating is obviously an issue too and also, he can be quite 'truculent' about the route he walks. With me and my son and daughter he is fine and does as he is told. But when he goes with care workers he tries to take charge. I can't see any of this working with a dog walker really.
Have you made any inquiries yet? I would think that there's a solution out there, but them I'm one of those kinda folks that are like little bulldogs. I bite into something and don't let go until it's all said and done :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom