Technology old and new

As for resetting the clock in the car :o_o: It would be easier to time a NASA mission to mars
My car clock resets itself - but I think its only if I put on the radio. I could be wrong since I have the radio on all the time in the car. Its not a new car: 2008 (spider infested - see general chat thread #4397) Vauxhall Corsa.

Last edited:
The clock in my car is really easy to change - press the hour button to change the hours, and the minute button to change the minutes - simple. Mine's not a new car either - it's a 2005 Kia Magentis (Optima) which has done less than 13,000 miles. It's the only car I have ever bought new.

When the time changed the clock on the cable box re-set automatically. The microwave, range and car were easy to set. I have a new old fashion clock on my nightstand = just a turn of a knob. We do not reset the clock on the thermostat. That requires changing the program. It shows the correct time six months out of the year. It is correct now. The one that always causes a problem is the battery powered, non digital clock hanging over the range. G changes it - have to get on a ladder to do so. Every six months it goes wacky. IDK what he does but after he sets the time the clock goes crazy - runs slow, runs fast. I have to take it down and set it myself.

Our washing machine is now 17 years old and it's started to make similar noises that I do when awakening. So today, I surreptitiously eyed a few models in the superstore. For the same price that we paid 17 years ago (Bht 13.000.00) we can now buy a larger, more efficient and more economical machine but with controls that resemble those of the space shuttle. The dillema is that there are no models that don't include a 100 GB control panel!

When the time changed the clock on the cable box re-set automatically. The microwave, range and car were easy to set. I have a new old fashion clock on my nightstand = just a turn of a knob. We do not reset the clock on the thermostat. That requires changing the program. It shows the correct time six months out of the year. It is correct now. The one that always causes a problem is the battery powered, non digital clock hanging over the range. G changes it - have to get on a ladder to do so. Every six months it goes wacky. IDK what he does but after he sets the time the clock goes crazy - runs slow, runs fast. I have to take it down and set it myself.
Other than the clock in the car, I have to change the time on the microwave, oven, clock in the front room, and the clock/radio upstairs (it I am using it). I don't bother with the timer on the immersion heater. Day-time electricity rates kick in at 7.30 a.m. in winter or 8.30 a.m. in summer, so the timer is set to switch off at 7 a.m. That's quite logical to me, but one person I know always makes a point of telling me that the time was wrong and he has put it right :mad: (I have mentioned him in other posts; I'm sure his sole purpose in life is to try my patience :laugh:)

My mum used to use hers on Christmas Day for the turkey. However, I'm sure she woke early to check to see if the timer had actually turned the oven on.
My late Grannie used to use hers. One Christmas she swore blind she could smell the turkey cooking so didn't check inside the oven or even feel the side of the oven to ensure it was hot. Needless to say, you know what's coming and it wasn't a cooked turkey. Because of the size of the turkey it wouldn't even be cooked in time for the evening meal. Needless to say after that she stopped using the electric timer on the oven and went back to getting up during the night and turning the oven on herself.

One technology area that I can't get to grips with is oven timers with on board digital clocks. I have tried to follow the instructions for my oven and still can't set a start and finish time. Does anyone actually use these timer features to start and stop their roast?
I don't think I'd use it for something as delicate as a roast, but I do use it to preheat the oven so its ready at a certain time, or if I'm doing something like a lasagne which won't be ruined if it sits in the oven a bit longer if we're late back

Now I've got the hang of it I don't find it difficult to programme at all - set the cooking time, then set the time you want cooking to stop. Then I just need to remember to actually turn the temperature knob on! I forgot once...worked out the timings, programmed the timer, got back from the pub later to a stone cold uncooked meal. Couldn't work out what had happened....I was sure I'd set everything correctly. Then I noticed....the temperature knob was still in the "off" position! Oops :oops:

I remember when I was a child and my Mother belonged to the Ladies Alter Society. It was her turn to host their quarterly meeting. She spent days scrubbing and polishing the house. She baked cookies, cake, brownies, made fudge and pastries. The day of she had all of the children scrubbed pink and dressed in our "Sunday Best". At the time there were four of us and she was pregnant for #5. She had everything prepared - the food set out, the children in their rooms ready to be called out and introduced and the coffee pot ready to plug in.

Her guest arrived. All of the Ladies and the Pastor. Mom plugged in the coffee pot, introduced the children, sent us back to out rooms. She started pouring coffee and the only thing in the pot was hot water. She forgot to put the coffee in her pot! Sweet Mother was mortified!

Back
Top Bottom