The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my worst nightmares happened this morning. I was driving back in the car alone having just taken my daughter to work. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed something large and black drop onto the passenger seat. You've guessed it - a HUGE black spider! I couldn't stop the car as I was on a main road and even if I could have done I don't know how I would have dealt with it. If I'm in a situation alone at home I can just about manage the glass and a piece of card technique. Obviously I had no glass to hand. It disappeared under my handbag which was on the seat. I managed to drive home in a state of frozen horror without it appearing again and then asked my partner to go and remove it (I didn't dare move my bag).

Needless to say, it wasn't there! I said well, we have to find it or I can never drive my car again! We proceeded to take everything out of the car, checked under seats etc. No sign. What to do now?

My only thought is to fumigate the car with insect spray. Everyone thinks I'm being melodramatic - but the problem is my reaction to seeing a spider this close to me when I can't move away is hard wired and potentially dangerous if I'm driving. Any advice welcome.

One of my worst nightmares happened this morning. I was driving back in the car alone having just taken my daughter to work. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed something large and black drop onto the passenger seat. You've guessed it - a HUGE black spider! I couldn't stop the car as I was on a main road and even if I could have done I don't know how I would have dealt with it. If I'm in a situation alone at home I can just about manage the glass and a piece of card technique. Obviously I had no glass to hand. It disappeared under my handbag which was on the seat. I managed to drive home in a state of frozen horror without it appearing again and then asked my partner to go and remove it (I didn't dare move my bag).

Needless to say, it wasn't there! I said well, we have to find it or I can never drive my car again! We proceeded to take everything out of the car, checked under seats etc. No sign. What to do now?

My only thought is to fumigate the car with insect spray. Everyone thinks I'm being melodramatic - but the problem is my reaction to seeing a spider this close to me when I can't move away is hard wired and potentially dangerous if I'm driving. Any advice welcome.

:eek: fumigate... OMG :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Many years ago, my uncle was very ill with a premature aging disease similar to dementia. He used to go down the pub a couple of nights a week, and the local police often used to pick him up and stick him in the cells rather than let him wander around on his own late at night. One night he wandered into the next borough and the police there were not so accommodating. Once they'd established he was not drunk, they told him to go home, which he did. He got his keys out, opened the door, and went straight upstairs to the bedroom, whereupon he got into bed. The neighbours were soon woken up by screaming. He had gone to his old address, which a young couple had moved into, and still had the keys. The husband was away working, and his wife was in bed.....

My own indiscretion in this area was caused in its entirety by overindulgence in the products of the late and very much lamented Morrell's Brewery in Oxford. My other excuse is that the road in which I lived bore a remarkable resemblance to Brookside and had houses running off it at three separate points. My house was in the second row. However, it must have been that I lost the ability to count and ended up in the third row. All of these houses looked exactly the same, although it is probably fair to say that I might have considered the clues of door numbers and indeed colours.

It's not really connected but....

A friend who lived on our estate on The Wirral was required to work in Germany for 12 months so he rented out his house for the period. My mate and I usually went down to the local for a beer or two on a Sunday evening so, to be neighbourly, we knocked on the newcomer's door and asked it he wished to join us. He informed us that he had to be up early in the morning because of a long journey to work but did we go out any other night? We did, but this was a potential problem; we went out on the pish on Fridays but we did not normally invite unknown newcomers to that. Anyway, we broke the rule and on the following Friday, invited him along. After a short lock-in at the pub we virtually had to carry him home. At his door we had to decide what then to do. We agreed to prop him up against the wall, ring the bell, and then do a runner.

He was not allowed out with us again.

It's not really connected but....

A friend who lived on our estate on The Wirral was required to work in Germany for 12 months so he rented out his house for the period. My mate and I usually went down to the local for a beer or two on a Sunday evening so, to be neighbourly, we knocked on the newcomer's door and asked it he wished to join us. He informed us that he had to be up early in the morning because of a long journey to work but did we go out any other night? We did, but this was a potential problem; we went out on the pish on Fridays but we did not normally invite unknown newcomers to that. Anyway, we broke the rule and on the following Friday, invited him along. After a short lock-in at the pub we virtually had to carry him home. At his door we had to decide what then to do. We agreed to prop him up against the wall, ring the bell, and then do a runner.

He was not allowed out with us again.

:laugh:

Every year the company have a Christmas 'do', a meal and drinks at a venue somewhere, always complaints every year so this year my colleague who normally organises it has refused, instead it has been decided that it will be a trip up town, a few drinks then a curry. We stopped going years ago and won't go to this one :headshake:

:eek: uh!

Bring it to the car wash ( let someone else drive it)...

No-one here drives except me. I have to take it for its MOT and service this week too. I will take my partner along so he can deal with it if it appears. Do you think a full internal valet would get rid of it? I've heard they can live inside the door panels. :(

No-one here drives except me. I have to take it for its MOT and service this week too. I will take my partner along so he can deal with it if it appears. Do you think a full internal valet would get rid of it? I've heard they can live inside the door panels. :(

My aircon service was sufficient to remove the mouse (albeit the mouse was dead).

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's a good possibility of success. It depends on how strong and accurate type of washing they do.
My brother is aracnophobic and it happened to him the same time ago. He carefully did wash his car saying that being allergic, he could not have any risk of surprise. They sterilized everything, cockpit, air conditioning vents, luggage van, changed car mats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom