The Alphabet Game: Dishes using Za'atar

Actually I am not sure mine counts as a herb at all. But it is a leaf.

Quinoa Leaf?
Looking into it it seems that both fresh leaves and shoots are edible and quite nutritious. However I'd question if it is considered to be a herb when used in this way because it is being used as a leafy green in the same way as beetroot leaves, rocket ,and any other salad greens.

When dried and used as a leaf tea, ,again is it a herb. Do you consider standard tea leaves (green tea for example) to be a herb?

Looking into it it seems that both fresh leaves and shoots are edible and quite nutritious. However I'd question if it is considered to be a herb when used in this way because it is being used as a leafy green in the same way as beetroot leaves, rocket ,and any other salad greens.

When dried and used as a leaf tea, again is it a herb. Do you consider standard tea leaves (green tea for example) to be a herb?

No. I don't think tea leaves are considered a herb. But we do talk about herbal teas when they are made from some dried leaves. I know its dubious - it was all I can find though. I will carry on the quest!

OK - here is another Q:

Quaker-ladies also known as bluets. All parts are edible. Next is R!

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 19.21.43.png

Tarragon.

I remember my mum discovering tarragon was great on a dish of carrots and broad beans. We had it with summer sunday roast for years. I really need to recreate her old dinners.

Last edited:
Tarragon.

I remember my mum discovering tarragon was great on a dish of carrots and broad beans. We had it with summer sunday roast for years. I really need to recreate her old dinners.

Tarragon with carrots is brilliant. I do a thing with carrots - ginger juice squeezed into the cooking water and fresh tarragon added as they simmer.

To make ginger juice - grate ginger using a microplane onto muslin or a paper towel and squeeze to extract juice.

Back
Top Bottom