The Alphabet Game: Dishes using Za'atar

Here is my 'U' - I guess either mine and/or @CraigC's count:

uva-ursi-_rev003__front.jpg

I'm guessing that "vanilla" is a herb?

I'd never heard of it but it seems to be a lichen. I don't know if that counts as a culinary herb... :unsure:
It certainly counts as a medicinal herb and given that you make a tincture or tea out of it ,I think it does count even though it's a lichen. It just lacks flavour which is usually what defines a herb !
Thank you. That was an interesting read looking it up. I know that lichen by another name and for another use unrelated to cooking (or more accurately used for lighting fires from a spark generally for the purpose of cooking food).

Xylopia aethiopica?

Technically a spice I think as its the seeds?

There are plenty of Chinese herbs starting with x but none are culinary herbs.

Xin yi hua (magnolia flower)

Magnolias are, of course, related to tea plants (or are a type of tea plant?). Anyway, they fresh flowers can be eaten (there are recipes for pickled magnolia petals) and dried petals/leaves made into tea.

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 11.55.41.png

Xylopia aethiopica?
Technically a spice. Herbs are leafy greens (and sometimes flowers ) but the rest of the plant, e.g. bark, roots, seeds, are spices.

Technically a spice I think as its the seeds?
Yes.
To clarify (source wiki), my highlighting

Xylopia aethiopica is an evergreen, aromatic tree, of the Annonaceae family that can grow up to 20m high. It is a native to the lowland rainforest and moist fringe forests in the savanna zones of Africa. The dried fruits of X. aethiopica are used as a spice and an herbal medicine

Back
Top Bottom