The CookingBites Cookalong: Paella

I'm so excited!! Will post pics after the weekend. I'm off to a folk festival in wildest Wales, so will be wifi free until I'm home. On the Friday we'll be having a paella party for our first night of clamping. I love cooking paella on a camping stove outdoors. Mine recipe is not at all authentic but it is tasty and goes down well with a crowd.

1 red onion diced
100g chorizo
325g paella rice
1 litre chicken stock
1 red pepper diced
200g raw prawns
200g chicken
100g peas
1tsp each of chilli, cumin, garlic paprika

Fry onion, chicken and chorizo until browned, add rice and stir for a minute. Add spices, red pepper and chicken stock, bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 20 minus or until the stock is mostly absorbed. Add prawns and peas and cook until prawns are cooked.

I chop and change ingredients, have made rabbit instead of chicken, also replaced meat with seafood. If I can get fresh mussels I also add them.

Interesting. Did you use fresh peas?

I'm so excited!! Will post pics after the weekend. I'm off to a folk festival in wildest Wales, so will be wifi free until I'm home. On the Friday we'll be having a paella party for our first night of clamping. I love cooking paella on a glamping stove outdoors. Mine recipe is not at all authentic but it is tasty and goes down well with a crowd.

1 red onion diced
100g chorizo
325g paella rice
1 litre chicken stock
1 red pepper diced
200g raw prawns
200g chicken
100g peas
1tsp each of chilli, cumin, garlic paprika, saffron

Fry onion, chicken and chorizo until browned, add rice and stir for a minute. Add spices, red pepper and chicken stock, bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 20 minus or until the stock is mostly absorbed. Add prawns and peas and cook until prawns are cooked.

I chop and change ingredients, have made rabbit instead of chicken, also replaced meat with seafood. If I can get fresh mussels I also add them.

I'm surprised you use fresh peas (only because its so difficult to find them!). I can't wait to see the photos.:D

The plan is that I make Paella tomorrow. That is the plan... but often my plans don't work out! If not tomorrow then Saturday. :happy:

Well there you go, that's what it looked like just before I served it.

IMG_1050.JPG

As you can see, it made a hell of a mess of the cooker - and yes it will fall to me to clean that up.

Still, in the words of 10cc

Don't like Paella,
Oh no,
I love it ah

I made it reasonably faithfully to the recipe at the top of this thread, except there ain't no mussels in it. But, there are prawns.And get this. I do my older teenager a huge disservice. He did Spanish at school, and, I had quite forgotten, he went out with his class and his teacher for a Spanish meal, and guess what they had. So as I tried to talk knowledgeably about Paella from all I have learned from @morning glory's links at the top of this thread, he nodded vigorously and demonstrated his far superior knowledge of Paella to me. So, not only did he enjoy the prawns, he expressed his disappointment that there were not enough prawns. My wife passed her prawns on to others but she did express enthusiasm for the dish I had not expected.

Actually, and this is a by-the-by that will baffle all American's on this website, she was all dressed up while she eat the Paella. She is out tonight at a big social event. Take a guess where she is going. Think about what night it is tonight. Yep. She's going to a Eurovision party. I'd rather have my toe nails drawn without benefit of anaesthetic.

Well done @Ken Natton! It looks fine - maybe a few too many peas (but that might be my fault in the basic recipe I posted). I didn't put peas in mine (mainly because there wasn't room).

Its good that people enjoyed it. Maybe you are gradually converting your family to more exotic tastes?

The rice I used (stupidly expensive but the real deal):

20170513_141906.jpg 20170513_142354(0).jpg

4 shallots and half a long sweet pepper, finely chopped plus Knorr fish stockpot:

20170513_141832.jpg 20170513_142208.jpg

Sorry ... no more photos until the finished dish!

Well done @Ken Natton! It looks fine - maybe a few too many peas (but that might be my fault in the basic recipe I posted). I didn't put peas in mine (mainly because there wasn't room).

Its good that people enjoyed it. Maybe you are gradually converting your family to more exotic tastes?

Yes, your ingredients didn't list peas, but your instructions said to add them. Whatever the case, I liked them.

Last edited:
Well there you go, that's what it looked like just before I served it.

View attachment 6996

As you can see, it made a hell of a mess of the cooker - and yes it will fall to me to clean that up.

Still, in the words of 10cc

Don't like Paella,
Oh no,
I love it ah

I made it reasonably faithfully to the recipe at the top of this thread, except there ain't no mussels in it. But, there are prawns.And get this. I do my older teenager a huge disservice. He did Spanish at school, and, I had quite forgotten, he went out with his class and his teacher for a Spanish meal, and guess what they had. So as I tried to talk knowledgeably about Paella from all I have learned from @morning glory's links at the top of this thread, he nodded vigorously and demonstrated his far superior knowledge of Paella to me. So, not only did he enjoy the prawns, he expressed his disappointment that there were not enough prawns. My wife passed her prawns on to others but she did express enthusiasm for the dish I had not expected.

Actually, and this is a by-the-by that will baffle all American's on this website, she was all dressed up while she eat the Paella. She is out tonight at a big social event. Take a guess where she is going. Think about what night it is tonight. Yep. She's going to a Eurovision party. I'd rather have my toe nails drawn without benefit of anaesthetic.
We do occasionally dress for dinner so no real shock. It depends on the meal and the location.
We can do formal.
Though agreeing with you on the social event.

We do occasionally dress for dinner so no real shock. It depends on the meal and the location.
We can do formal.
Though agreeing with you on the social event.

Sorry @Cinisajoy, it wasn't the dressing for dinner bit that I anticipated might baffle you. It is Eurovision. And I would not prefer the excruciating pain of having my toe nails drawn to dressing up for dinner. I'm fine with dressing up for dinner. It's Eurovision that is even more excruciatingly painful than having your toe nails drawn without benefit of anaesthetic.

Back
Top Bottom