The CookingBites recipe challenge: berries

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:09 AM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is berries* and The Late Night Gourmet is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** which uses berries, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight Sunday 31st July (GMT+1). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* for this challenge, berries are defined as: sweet berries and currants, including strawberries and any other sweet fruit that has berry in the name, even if it’s not genetically a berry. Grapes and bananas are also included. Any form of the berry, including dried, powdered or liquid (juice), is included.
** recipes must be posted within the time frame of the current challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Late Night Gourmet, I added your clarification of what counts as berries for this challenge, above. I'm assuming that redcurrants and blackcurrants also count as they are definitely berries despite not having 'berry' in their name! What about dried berries such as raisins, cranberries etc.? I'm hoping they are included as it will be useful for members who can't obtain fresh seasonal berries.

Having a hard time wrapping my head around grapes being a berry, LOL. I just really had no idea, that and the banana thing (though I realize those aren't going to be eligible for this challenge). And peppercorns! So much to learn in my old(er) age!

THE best Berry item I've ever had in my entire life was at The Outpost Restaurant in West Yellowstone Montana back in 2013, Our Great Western Adventure month long road trip of a lifetime!
triple choco cake and huckleberry ice cream.JPG

Huckleberry Ice Cream with a slice of Triple Chocolate Cake.
On this road trip, when ever I saw anything Huckleberry, I ordered it!

The Late Night Gourmet, I added your clarification of what counts as berries for this challenge, above. I'm assuming that redcurrants and blackcurrants also count as they are definitely berries despite not having 'berry' in their name! What about dried berries such as raisins, cranberries etc.? I'm hoping they are included as it will be useful for members who can't obtain fresh seasonal berries.

Yes…currants, too, and any form of the berry, including dried, powdered, and liquid (so, yes, even grape and cranberry juice).

OK - so here´s the first offering, which is not so much a "recipe" as a practical solution.

Strawberry Coulis

I found fresh strawberries for two quid ($2.40) , 600 gms. Gotta like that!
This is a very simple sauce you can use for cakes, puddings, ice cream, cheesecake. keeps in the fridge for a week or so.
And just before the anti-sugar brigade start weighing in :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...
You can use as little sugar as you like, or sugar substitute, perhaps. The only thing is, if you reduce it to zero, then you´ve got a fruit purée, not a coulis.
I plan to make some of this for my mum, who cannot tolerate pips. Yes, mine´s got a few pips. Less pressure on the strainer to push the fruit pulp through next time.

The Late Night Gourmet would pekmez or verjuice be ok?

Pekmez is basically grape molasses (mine is homemade from my own grapes, simply because I haven't been able to purchase it in Australia, it's more a Greek & Turkish (that end of the Mediterranean) thing.)

Verjuice is a unripe/sour grape juice often used in cooking in countries were alcohol isn't permitted. Oddly I can easily purchase that in my main supermarket.

Back
Top Bottom