The CookingBites recipe challenge: hard squash

I totally agree with CD. IMHO, it's only resemblance to a Chili con Carne is that is has tomatoes and coriander in it. Beans? Well we know that's a moot point, but the rest of the ingredients? I think he was smoking a funny cigarette when he invented that.
He's got a classic mirepoix, CAJUN seasoning, rosemary, balsamic vinegar (????)... I really don't see the comparison. Where are the hot peppers?
Sounds like a good recipe, but about as close to a Chili con Carne as Irish Stew.

Exactly, it is all over the road. It may taste great, but call it a stew, because that's the term it most closely matches.

CD

Before I met my husband, the only chili I’d ever had was made without chili peppers because my family’s tastebuds are so wimpy…clutching your pearls yet? :D
I’d hate to think what the purists would think of those far Northerners who…GASP!…use venison! :laugh:

I’d hate to think what the purists would think of those far Northerners who…GASP!…use venison! :laugh:

Actually, venison is an acceptable meat for Texas chili. There are a lot of Deer hunters, here.

CD

Actually, venison is an acceptable meat for Texas chili. There are a lot of Deer hunters, here.

CD
See, and there you go…this is ok, that’s not ok, sometimes this, but never that, because…? It’s just arbitrary, AFAIC.

Jamie was a huge breath of fresh air when he started out. Simple, tasty food that anyone could cook. Unfortunately, fame seems to have affected his creativity! Sausage and Squash Chilli sounds about as appetising as an octopus and chicken liver risotto.
I seem to remember there was another famous TV chef that did the same. Could it have been Emeril?

He's done so many good things in the UK I forgive him his bad recipes.
One of the major ones that effected me directly was him making it perfectly acceptable for any man to go into the kitchen and have a go at cooking something. He transformed the view of men (of my generation anyway) from cooking being a woman's job only attempted by effeminate men to something everyone could do.

His 'bish bash bosh' style and love of chilli chili chile (oh bugger it, fill in the blanks ch---/-😂) appealed so much nearly every man I knew had a Jamie Oliver book and got into cooking. It was a little revolution that changed cultural attitudes for good.

Of course then you'd have to actually eat the results whilst cooing supportively and saying encouraging things while thinking gawd help me how long will this fad last for.. 😆

He's done so many good things in the UK I forgive him his bad recipes.
One of the major ones that effected me directly was him making it perfectly acceptable for any man to go into the kitchen and have a go at cooking something. He transformed the view of men (of my generation anyway) from cooking being a woman's job only attempted by effeminate men to something everyone could do.

His 'bish bash bosh' style and love of chilli chili chile (oh bugger it, fill in the blanks ch---/-😂) appealed so much nearly every man I knew had a Jamie Oliver book and got into cooking. It was a little revolution that changed cultural attitudes for good.

Of course then you'd have to actually eat the results whilst cooing supportively and saying encouraging things while thinking gawd help me how long will this fad last for.. 😆

His valiant attempt at fighting childhood obesity in the US certainly gained my admiration. That's the good Jaime Oliver. Having said that, I don't give him a free pass on everything he does. He is a good cook. I also think that, maybe, his success has led him to think more highly of himself than he should.

CD

His valiant attempt at fighting childhood obesity in the US certainly gained my admiration. That's the good Jaime Oliver. Having said that, I don't give him a free pass on everything he does. He is a good cook. I also think that, maybe, his success has led him to think more highly of himself than he should.

CD
Maybe, I reckon you could say that of a lot of chefs but his change in attitude seemed to come about after his brother in law led him into financial ruin. He trusted him and didn't know what was going on, he couldn't keep his shock to himself and spent a long time saying he didn't understand what happened.
After shutting his restaurants he lost something more than the business, he's looked more than a bit broken since. I think it's possible his lack lustre recipes are a reflection of his feelings.

As for giving him a free pass I probably do but I can't say I've looked at or cooked any of his dishes for years.

IMG_3468.jpeg

I’ve been preoccupied with work lately, but this baby is not going to have sacrificed itself in vain. There will be a recipe soon.

Easy Butternut Squash Soup

IMG_3359.JPG

(oops, I have the plate turned away from the bowl of soup, but you get it)
It's what's for lunch today and it was DELICIOUS!!!

When I say easy, it was dead simple using the prepared Squash. I had never seen this before, but I understand that there a numerous types just like this.
I cheated this go-around and bought prepared-frozen-seasoned frozen Butternut Squash, so adjust accordingly. I used 2 of the pouches, 12oz. each, which measured out to about 5 cups.
I've made Butternut Squash several times, using a whole, fresh Squash and I gotta tell ya, this was some much faster.
Oh, I found this particular bag of prepared Butternut Squash at Costco.

IMG_3311.JPG

Also, I only used 3 cups of the Broth, I do like a more hearty soup.
And, I have freeze-dried Sage, very convenient!

Back
Top Bottom