The CookingBites recipe challenge: hard squash

How’s this for some mise en place:

IMG_6804.jpeg

It’s simmering away in the oven now, and I have to say…it doesn’t smell all that good! :eek:

Ok, next!

Recipe - Horseradish beef-and-vegetable wine stew

Well, once it came together, the harshness of the horseradish mellowed considerably, and by the time I pulled it from the oven, it smelled divine.

Lots of prep work, but really, it’s a dump-and-stir recipe after that, pretty simple - no browning of meat, no sweating of vegetables…just tip it all in and go.

The taste? A bit tomato, the richness from the beef, of course, but balanced out nicely from the wine ($5 Pinot Noir). It’s very, very good.

The mix of vegetables is definitely one I wouldn’t normally use, but we loved it, especially the beets. The squash and parsnips are almost-but-not-quite mushy, the beets still a little firm, and the beef, perfectly fork-tender - a textural delight.

It could be better only if it were 10F colder outside.

So here's another entry:
Peanut Coconut Squash
This is actually a South Eastern Indian recipe; as such, I cut down the number of chile peppers by half. When I tasted it, I thought: Hey! shouldn't have done that.
The peanuts and coconut dulled the heat considerably. It was still delicious. Loved the flavour of the squash and the overtones of peanuts and coconut.
The recipe is an adaption of Raghavan Iyer's recipe in "660 Curries", although there's no such thing as "bottle gourd squash" here, so I used butternut.Nor did I like his canola oil suggestion, so I used a mixed vegetable oil.
Really good. Next time I'll stick with his recommendation for the chile peppers.
Peanut coconut Squash 3.jpg

I did a YouTube search on squash, and saw a Jaime Oliver video for Sausage and Squash Chilli. :eek: That's just all kinds of wrong, on so many levels.

I think Jaime Oliver has found a way to pi$$ off just about every country and region on the planet with his versions of their foods. :laugh:

CD

I think Jaime Oliver has found a way to pi$$ off just about every country and region on the planet with his versions of their foods
Jamie was a huge breath of fresh air when he started out. Simple, tasty food that anyone could cook. Unfortunately, fame seems to have affected his creativity! Sausage and Squash Chilli sounds about as appetising as an octopus and chicken liver risotto.
I seem to remember there was another famous TV chef that did the same. Could it have been Emeril?

I did a YouTube search on squash, and saw a Jaime Oliver video for Sausage and Squash Chilli. :eek: That's just all kinds of wrong, on so many levels.

I think Jaime Oliver has found a way to pi$$ off just about every country and region on the planet with his versions of their foods. :laugh:

CD
From three years ago this month:

Uh-oh, I’m sure I’ve endangered my man card again, or my American card, or something! :wink: :laugh:

If you google it, though, there are a lot of recipes for it, especially if you’re doing a no-meat version.

I do remember it being pretty good…and I don’t like squash.

From three years ago this month:

Uh-oh, I’m sure I’ve endangered my man card again, or my American card, or something! :wink: :laugh:

If you google it, though, there are a lot of recipes for it, especially if you’re doing a no-meat version.

I do remember it being pretty good…and I don’t like squash.

It may be good, but IMHO, it is a stew, not a chili. Why not just call it Sausage and Squash Stew? 🤷‍♂️

CD

It may be good, but IMHO, it is a stew, not a chili.
I totally agree with CD. IMHO, it's only resemblance to a Chili con Carne is that is has tomatoes and coriander in it. Beans? Well we know that's a moot point, but the rest of the ingredients? I think he was smoking a funny cigarette when he invented that.
He's got a classic mirepoix, CAJUN seasoning, rosemary, balsamic vinegar (????)... I really don't see the comparison. Where are the hot peppers?
Sounds like a good recipe, but about as close to a Chili con Carne as Irish Stew.

Back
Top Bottom