10oz/300ml dry red wine
2 TB sundried tomato paste
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
10 sage leaves, fried (for serving)
zest from 1 lemon (for serving)
salt & pepper, to taste

Directions
Set oven to 350F/180C.

In the bottom of a large Dutch oven, make a paste with the flour and horseradish sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Add in the beef and stir to coat thoroughly.

Add in the onion, garlic, parsnips, squash, and beets, and stir together. Add the stock, wine, tomato paste, and thyme sprigs and stir again.

Bring to a boil on the stovetop, then cover and place in the oven. Simmer in the oven for 2 hours, until the beef and vegetables are tender. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.

Serve, sprinkled with the fried sage leaves and lemon zest.

Adapted from recipe in Woman & Home magazine (Dec ‘18)

I’m making beef and red wine casserole today with a horseradish cobbler!
Well assuming my rolling pin turns up today I am 😂
No squash or other veggies apart from soffitto and carrot involved this time though.

So how was the horseradish on the beef? Was it seared on before adding the other ingredients or simply mixed in at the start?

So how was the horseradish on the beef? Was it seared on before adding the other ingredients or simply mixed in at the start?
I’m not someone who particularly likes horseradish, so when I was stirring it in, all I could think was, “This smells bad…this smells bad…,” and bringing it to the boil on the cooktop didn’t help any.

It took about an hour in the oven, though, before that pungency subsided and beefiness pushed through, then it smelled really good.

Eating it, the horseradish is there, but very mild, which works well for me.

The meat wasn’t seared first, which I thought was strange, and I almost seared it anyway, but I said, “First time trying this…follow it exactly first time, then change it later!” - it came out just fine, extremely tender.

One quibble with the recipe…I don’t like things written as “small this” or “large that,” I prefer a little specificity, and would have appreciated something more like “1 small butternut squash, cubed (about four cups),” because I bought a “small” butternut, and I ended up having to freeze about a third of it. Same with the parsnips. “Small” is relative!

Had the same issue with "small" and "big", then I I started imaging how much do I actually want to eat and it was never a big mistake. With guests it's different, you never know how much they'll eat

I’m not someone who particularly likes horseradish, so when I was stirring it in, all I could think was, “This smells bad…this smells bad…,” and bringing it to the boil on the cooktop didn’t help any.

You do realize that you CAN deviate from a recipe if it contains something you don't like. :wink:

CD

You do realize that you CAN deviate from a recipe if it contains something you don't like. :wink:

CD
I always follow the rule that you make the recipe as directed the first time, then deviate to make it your own after that.

Sometimes, with substitutions, it can’t be helped, but first time, I try to stick to it, and glad I did, because this turned out to be very good.

That's cool. I've seen several chefs who struggle in life because they season the food to their taste instead of the headchefs taste. It's a long story between two Egos and quite normal.

It should always be peaceful in the kitchen, no matter how the food tastes and you should always speak it up, because some people have problems with smoking, what numbs your tastebuds or like me who likes to eat low sodium, what makes the tongue sensitive to salt, so I end up with more bland, but spicy (not hot) food. It's like a soccer game, you pass the (fresh) spoon until everyone is satisfied and eventually I'll remember how it has to taste next time

I always follow the rule that you make the recipe as directed the first time, then deviate to make it your own after that.

Sometimes, with substitutions, it can’t be helped, but first time, I try to stick to it, and glad I did, because this turned out to be very good.

I'm the opposite. If a recipe has something I genuinely do not like, I think of a substitute right away.

CD

There's a rule by many chefs, if you don't like it you haven't tried it done right. You should be open to everything legal if you want to learn more about our culinary culture.
EDIT: that should everbody decide on his own, I neither don't want to judge or force anyone over something this trivial

Last edited:
There's a rule by many chefs, if you don't like it you haven't tried it done right. You should be open to everything legal if you want to learn more about our culinary culture.
EDIT: that should everbody decide on his own, I neither don't want to judge or force anyone over something this trivial
I would absolutely agree until I tried aged pigeon blood. It was a mouthful of fetid metallic tasting acid. Had Heston Blumenthal been about I would have told him so. Instead we just had to suffer a waiter telling my friend his taste buds were ”underdeveloped“ 🙄

I would absolutely agree until I tried aged pigeon blood. It was a mouthful of fetid metallic tasting acid. Had Heston Blumenthal been about I would have told him so. Instead we just had to suffer a waiter telling my friend his taste buds were ”underdeveloped“ 🙄

If I had a dollar for overtime someone told me "You just haven had GOOD sushi," I'd have enough money to buy a prime steak dinner at the finest steakhouse in town... while they all went out for sushi.

People who say things like that are like Lucy holding a football for Charlie Brown to kick. "Try this one... you'll like it."

CD

It's just what I learned from good head chefs who traveled the world for all kinds of food. As long as it's made with proper hygiene, there's no point on hating it. If I'm not open to everything I'll hurt my career as a chef.

I see their point. So many people have told me they don’t like something and then had seconds of something I’ve cooked with that ingredient in. The choice of dish, preparation and execution make so much difference to how an ingredients tastes.

One friend insists fanatically they cannot abide the taste of ginger but I’m guessing from the amount of ‘Raj Style’ shepherds pie they wedged down whilst asking “what have you done to this” means they do.
When I tentatively said it’s a little garlic, ginger and chilli they said I was lying 😂

But it’s entirely possible to genuinely dislike a single ingredient or combination of ingredients. Personally no matter how much I try to like peas I just don’t. It’s the only thing I don’t like. Repeatedly I have another go but cannot enjoy them in their normal state.

Blitzed in crème fraiche with salt and lemon yes, pulverised into a lovely pea and basil pesto yes but peas in general…
🥷 STEP AWAY FROM MY PAELLA 😁

I see their point. So many people have told me they don’t like something and then had seconds of something I’ve cooked with that ingredient in. The choice of dish, preparation and execution make so much difference to how an ingredients tastes.

One friend insists fanatically they cannot abide the taste of ginger but I’m guessing from the amount of ‘Raj Style’ shepherds pie they wedged down whilst asking “what have you done to this” means they do.
When I tentatively said it’s a little garlic, ginger and chilli they said I was lying 😂

But it’s entirely possible to genuinely dislike a single ingredient or combination of ingredients. Personally no matter how much I try to like peas I just don’t. It’s the only thing I don’t like. Repeatedly I have another go but cannot enjoy them in their normal state.

Blitzed in crème fraiche with salt and lemon yes, pulverised into a lovely pea and basil pesto yes but peas in general…
🥷 STEP AWAY FROM MY PAELLA 😁

I love garlic, I'm okay with ginger in moderation, and I've never had chilli.

CD

Back
Top Bottom