The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Nov 2015-June 2017

I hoped for diverse and varied recipes. Mushroom cake? I definitely didn't anticipate that.
Well you did say
Well, firstly @classic33, I am not a vegetarian. I was anticipating that some might feel that will make me predisposed to favour dishes with some meat content. I was only trying to reassure, I am certainly not one who holds up a crucifix to vegetarian, or even vegan food. And absolutely, I get that the recipe you offered was a steamed suet pudding, not a pie. The reality is, I don't like suet. Absolutely, that should not prevent me from judging the recipe on its merits. And actually, @morning glory's reply has left me feeling that perhaps I should try vegetable suet and see if I can take to it in a way I never have to the non-vegetarian form. Whatever the case, I am genuinely interested and even intrigued to see what else you might come up with before 24th May.

Do we have to have pictures of our entry?
I made 2 things this past week that would fit. Although, I hold no chance against such original ideas as put forth by classic.

I made grilled "Italian" mushroom caps (no fennel was hurt during it's production), and mushroom Tom Yum soup.

I made 2 things this past week that would fit. Although, I hold no chance against such original ideas as put forth by classic.

I made grilled "Italian" mushroom caps (no fennel was hurt during it's production), and mushroom Tom Yum soup.
Just post them, no pictures required.

The judging criteria are broader than just originality.

Just post recipes as separate threads in the relevant section and link to them here. No photos required.

That's a new one on me (although we occasionally include button mushrooms in our tom yam khung gai).
Yes, that's pretty much the idea except with matchsticks of various mushrooms added.
Not a mind blowing idea, but the last time I made Tom Yum I had a bunch of mushrooms to use up and did this. The mushrooms make fill out the otherwise brothy soup.

You're going to try one or two!
If that's the case, there's a "Potassium Blast" equivalent.

Well, again, it's an interesting point. In an ideal world, you might say, I should cook every one of the entries before attempting to judge them. But, apart from questions of practicality, there would then be the question of whether I made as good a job of actually cooking each one. So how about this? All entrants come round to mine and cook their entered recipes for me to judge. @SatNavSaysStraightOn better get looking at tickets to the UK. Or we could just leave it that I judge it based on the idea, and, who knows, maybe I will get to cooking some of them later.

Well, again, it's an interesting point. In an ideal world, you might say, I should cook every one of the entries before attempting to judge them. But, apart from questions of practicality, there would then be the question of whether I made as good a job of actually cooking each one. So how about this? All entrants come round to mine and cook their entered recipes for me to judge. @SatNavSaysStraightOn better get looking at tickets to the UK. Or we could just leave it that I judge it based on the idea, and, who knows, maybe I will get to cooking some of them later.
:laugh::laugh::thumbsup:

On another food website I belong to (run by a large US cookware shop) they shortlist entries and get members to test them out and review them. The cookware shop has its own professional kitchen and they then shortlist again and cook and professionally photograph the recipes! It quite a process - but they do get 50 or 60 entries, most of which are of a high standard. I've been shortlisted a few times there and once had a dish cooked and photographed and reviewed by them. I'll dig out a link to my 'professionally photographed' recipe if you are interested @Ken Natton

@SatNavSaysStraightOn better get looking at tickets to the UK.
Ken (presumably that is your name?) the company provide both of us with 2 return flights every year to the UK as part of my husband's secondment. The only problem is that they are economy class flights and I can't sit for that long. In order to get me out to Australia we had to upgrade my flight to business class. Fantastic service, I was able to life down for the entire flight but it cost $$$$ and we had to pay the upgrade cost. My husband went in premium economy to see if I would be able to manage those seats ever. His answer was no. For the London to Dubai part he was kindly moved to a seat alongside me in business, by the stewardesses. Sadly Dubai to Sydney and Sydney to Canberra were both full without even a spare seat in economy! So he had to sit in his purchased seat and the stewardesses cope with me in my wheelchair by themselves (I can walk it am rather unsteady at times, hence all the talk of broken ribs because I took a fall back in October and fell, breaking 10 or 11 of them and am still having problems even now).

Perhaps you could come here. Dry sunny days reaching UK summer time temperatures, stunning scenery, cold frosty nights, wood burning stove, and I would even pick you up from the airport...

Perhaps you could come here. Dry sunny days reaching UK summer time temperatures, stunning scenery, cold frosty nights, wood burning stove, and I would even pick you up from the airport...

Yeah, what do we reckon guys and gals? A CookingBites Recipe Challenge trip to the land down-under. We could have the mushroom steamed pudding for lunch, then, in the evening, we could have a mushroom smoothie for starter, the mushroom curry for main course and the Espresso and mushroom cake for dessert. Then a respectful and expectant hush could fall over the place while I pronounce on which recipe is the best. Yeah, I know, you were all on board until that last bit.

Yeah, what do we reckon guys and gals? A CookingBites Recipe Challenge trip to the land down-under. We could have the mushroom steamed pudding for lunch, then, in the evening, we could have a mushroom smoothie for starter, the mushroom curry for main course and the Espresso and mushroom cake for dessert. Then a respectful and expectant hush could fall over the place while I pronounce on which recipe is the best. Yeah, I know, you were all on board until that last bit.
Why not?

Back
Top Bottom