The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Nov 2015-June 2017

Yeah, what do we reckon guys and gals? A CookingBites Recipe Challenge trip to the land down-under. We could have the mushroom steamed pudding for lunch, then, in the evening, we could have a mushroom smoothie for starter, the mushroom curry for main course and the Espresso and mushroom cake for dessert. Then a respectful and expectant hush could fall over the place while I pronounce on which recipe is the best. Yeah, I know, you were all on board until that last bit.
You are providing all transportation and room and board? If so, count me in.

Yeah, we'll fly in my Lear jet and stay at my palatial mansion overlooking Sydney Harbour. Hey, this is all a fantasy, so why not?
I'm a tad far from Sydney. How about the capital of Australia instead? It's only an hour away. 45 mins to the airport. We don't yet have our own landing strip, but there's room for a helicopter to land quite easily down by the pump house. You'll need wellies to get up from that field though.
I can do room and board...

Now you see, this is the problem with having me judging this competition. I thought, in my ignorance, that champignon was simply French for mushrooms. It wouldn't surprise me then if the Italian for mushrooms was similar. But if champignon is actually a particular variety of mushroom, then I'm not aware if you can get them here in the UK - or is it actually the very variety that you see most commonly in the average British supermarket? It never fills the contestants with great confidence when the judge has to ask questions about the basics of what is supposedly being judged.

Now you see, this is the problem with having me judging this competition. I thought, in my ignorance, that champignon was simply French for mushrooms. It wouldn't surprise me then if the Italian for mushrooms was similar. But if champignon is actually a particular variety of mushroom, then I'm not aware if you can get them here in the UK - or is it actually the very variety that you see most commonly in the average British supermarket? It never fills the contestants with great confidence when the judge has to ask questions about the basics of what is supposedly being judged.
Or taken the other way, you're questioning the recipe. Something any judge may find themselves doing.

Nothing odd about it.

I think its just the regular mushroom we get here - the white closed cup mushrooms. They might taste better in Italy! But its essentially the same mushroom:

0000 (3).gif

A champginon, or agaricus bisporus, is either a button mushroom if it is grown to be whitish, or it's also known as a crimini mushroom if it is brownish. The color depends on growing conditions.

If allowed to mature, it is usually called a portobello mushroom here.

I think its just the regular mushroom we get here - the white closed cup mushrooms. They might taste better in Italy! But its essentially the same mushroom:

We have a large variety of mushrooms available here and one of them is called "Champignon". However, this may be a ploy to sell them for twice the price of other varieties (four times the price of king oysters).

Back
Top Bottom