The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Nov 2015-June 2017

All Mushrooms are fungi but not all fungi are mushrooms...
And not all mushrooms are edible, but some fungi are edible... now work that one out!

I'll start an new thread on it... it is more a biological distinction!

I'll add the link here in a few minutes

Edit: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/when-is-a-fungus-not-a-mushroom.9590/

Well, I was trying not to be prescriptive, but it is clear that what I had in mind was mushrooms. Assuming that we don't really have an issue with truffles - on grounds of cost if nothing else - then I am not sure what would qualify as edible fungi that isn't mushrooms. I suppose the point is, if it strictly isn't mushroom but nonetheless has the character of mushroom as a food ingredient then it is okay. If it is an edible fungi as diverse from mushrooms as say a peach is from a swede, then perhaps that would be stretching the specification. How's that?

You do like to challenge me @classic33. Understand, what challenges me about this recipe is not that it is vegan but the fact that it is a suet pudding. I have already recorded elsewhere on this forum my dislike of suet. However, it did occur to me that suet isn't vegetarian much less vegan, then I noticed that your ingredient said vegetable suet. So someone is going to have to educate me about vegetable suet. In any case, I have confidence in my ability to make a dispassionate judgement between vegetarian or vegan recipes and recipes that contain meat products, but all I can do with a suet pudding recipe is consider it as a pie filling in an ordinary pastry pie. Actually, I think your filling would be lovely in a pastry pie but I am guessing normal pastry would compromise the vegan status of the dish.

However, it did occur to me that suet isn't vegetarian much less vegan, then I noticed that your ingredient said vegetable suet. So someone is going to have to educate me about vegetable suet.

I use it sometimes as my daughter is vegetarian - its made of palm oil and sunflower oil and wheat flour according to the packet. I think the fat is just dusted in flour to keep the suet 'bits' separate. I love suet puddings and dumplings. Made correctly they are really quite light but also comforting.

Re pastry - pastry is essentially vegetarian. The only exception would be if lard was used. Vegan pastry uses vegetable fat (not butter).

You do like to challenge me @classic33. Understand, what challenges me about this recipe is not that it is vegan but the fact that it is a suet pudding. I have already recorded elsewhere on this forum my dislike of suet. However, it did occur to me that suet isn't vegetarian much less vegan, then I noticed that your ingredient said vegetable suet. So someone is going to have to educate me about vegetable suet. In any case, I have confidence in my ability to make a dispassionate judgement between vegetarian or vegan recipes and recipes that contain meat products, but all I can do with a suet pudding recipe is consider it as a pie filling in an ordinary pastry pie. Actually, I think your filling would be lovely in a pastry pie but I am guessing normal pastry would compromise the vegan status of the dish.
Why not a suet pudding not a pie!!
The fact it's vegan shouldn't come into it.

Why not a suet pudding not a pie!!
The fact it's vegan shouldn't come into it.

Well, firstly @classic33, I am not a vegetarian. I was anticipating that some might feel that will make me predisposed to favour dishes with some meat content. I was only trying to reassure, I am certainly not one who holds up a crucifix to vegetarian, or even vegan food. And absolutely, I get that the recipe you offered was a steamed suet pudding, not a pie. The reality is, I don't like suet. Absolutely, that should not prevent me from judging the recipe on its merits. And actually, @morning glory's reply has left me feeling that perhaps I should try vegetable suet and see if I can take to it in a way I never have to the non-vegetarian form. Whatever the case, I am genuinely interested and even intrigued to see what else you might come up with before 24th May.

Well, firstly @classic33, I am not a vegetarian. I was anticipating that some might feel that will make me predisposed to favour dishes with some meat content. I was only trying to reassure, I am certainly not one who holds up a crucifix to vegetarian, or even vegan food. And absolutely, I get that the recipe you offered was a steamed suet pudding, not a pie. The reality is, I don't like suet. Absolutely, that should not prevent me from judging the recipe on its merits. And actually, @morning glory's reply has left me feeling that perhaps I should try vegetable suet and see if I can take to it in a way I never have to the non-vegetarian form. Whatever the case, I am genuinely interested and even intrigued to see what else you might come up with before 24th May.
Well there is another version, 9,000 lease involved in it.

Mince Kebabs
campfire-recipes-10.jpg

If it is an edible fungi as diverse from mushrooms as say a peach is from a swede, then perhaps that would be stretching the specification. How's that?
As clear as the foggy start to today. freezing foggy start. It's only just starting to burn off and its 10:30am!

So you don't want my recipe for making homemade Tempeh? It uses a fungus but is as far from a swede as a peach is sadly :(

Being allergic to dairy (hence the vegan plus eggs and honey status (or Veggan as the new acronym is) rather than vegetarian minus dairy which just confuses people for some reason!) this is something I am quite up on and also rather interested in...

Some additional info - not just aimed at @Ken Natton

Actually, I think your filling would be lovely in a pastry pie but I am guessing normal pastry would compromise the vegan status of the dish.

If you use Jus Rol pastry at all, the vast majority of it in the normal pastry range (fresh or frozen) is actually vegan! Most people just have no idea whatsoever. And filo pastry is vegan until you brush the sheets with butter.

Jus Rol Puff Pastry ingredients for example: Wheat flour, water, vegetable fats and oils (palm, rapeseed), alcohol, salt, concentrated lemon juice, yeast.

So someone is going to have to educate me about vegetable suet.
As above. Atora Vegetable Shredded Suet.
http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-2752-Atora+shredded+suet+vegetable+light.html
Ingredients: Vegetable Oils (85%) (Palm, Sunflower), Wheat Flour (with added Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin). that's it.

It's actually vegan I believe (if the origin of Niacin and Thiamin are vegan...) I'll double check now. The vegetarian society list it as vegetarian as well which is a good start.

Atora's own website says it uses no animal products (http://www.atora.co.uk/aboutus/) (my bold), so it is in fact vegan I believe. But I am now quite interested and intrigued, so I will also email them and query it. Usually this statement does mean what it says.

...the brand has been extended to include Atora Vegetable Suet. Made entirely from vegetable fats, Atora Vegetable Suet contains no animal products and is thus extremely suitable for vegetarians.

We use it from time to time and it is good, though I genuinely have no memory of beef suet so can't really comment.

So you don't want my recipe for making homemade Tempeh? It uses a fungus but is as far from a swede as a peach is sadly :(

Are you saying Tempeh is made from fungus? I thought it was made from fermented soya beans (or other beans). If we are going to included fermented products then that opens up a whole spectrum of non-mushroom possibilities - bread for example and beer!

Back
Top Bottom