The CookingBites recipe challenge: pasta

I was going to make Roman gnocchi but it won't be for another few days as I need to use up some produce that is getting a bit old first. Don't have to extend for me though. I simply wanted it again and also had some semolina flour to use up rather than freeze after making cavatelli. Win, win!

Recipe - Roasted garlic flan with mushroom sauce

20240210_121045.jpg

Well, I had one more in mind, but try as I might today, I couldn’t find anyone stocking fresh pasta sheets for the German-spin-on-ravioli I was going to do up…and before anyone suggests, “Just make your own pasta!” - been there, done that, thrown out the finished recipe, and I’ve also got afternoon tea in the works tomorrow, so that’s me done.

Good luck, everyone! 🍝

Folks, the results are in!

We had 21 entries to the Pasta challenge and it was really fun to judge them. Thank you to everybody who took part - I read each and every entry thoroughly and scored them all for presentation, originality, use of pasta, practicality and whether or not they looked tasty, but ultimately it came down to whether or not I wanted to try them out.

So first off, here are the honourable mentions, meaning recipes I'm quite likely to attempt:

karadekoolaid Cannelloni with Romesco sauce. This had my mouth watering and looks both tasty and practical.
The Late Night Gourmet Scarborough Fair Ravioli looked creative, delightful and I loved the way his yolky fillings turned out and the combination of herbs.
caseydog Shrimp and Pasta looked quick easy and tasty and is something i'd pull out for a weeknight family dinner.

The winner overall was TastyReuben for his Mexican Elote Corn Pasta Salad! I found this recipe to be unusual (to me) and tasty looking, and being someone in search of new flavour experiences and ways to use pasta this is definitely one I'll be trying out. Well done!

So congratulations to everybody, TastyReuben , over to you.

Ok, the challenge has ended - lots of delicious things to consider.

Judge vernplum, it’s time to do your duty!

Thanks to everyone for taking part!

Nevermind, I see a winner was posted before contest even ended.
It was the occasional issue with the countdown clock showing a member’s local time as opposed to the standard UK time - something that’s come up before and can’t be changed.

vernplum announced the winner when it appeared to them, based on the countdown clock, that the contest had ended.

I pulled that post as soon as I saw it, and explained to vernplum that there was actually a few hours left in the contest, and once the challenge reached the actual end time, I let them know that there was one additional recipe to consider (yours).

vernplum considered it and decided the results should stand.

What I should have done was have them repost the results as a new post and just delete the old one, but I didn’t, I just released the original post, which kept the original timestamp. That was entirely my missed call.

I do apologize to everyone for the confusion.

Hi all - I'm also sorry for the mixup and do bear some responsibility here, as explained by TastyReuben the countdown clock showed me the contest had ended (I am in GMT +8 timezone) so I then went through the judging process, but as explained above the results I posted were put on hold as the actual timing was based off UK timezone. In fact, I'm sure this has been mentioned before but I had forgotten as it's been quite a while since I was last a judge.

I was alerted to your submission medtran49 and while it's certainly a lovely recipe which clearly a lot of care had been taken to craft and photograph I still considered the eventual winner and honorable mentions to stand.

Thanks again to everyone who entered.

Obviously not an entry, but thanks to this challenge I went looking for my old imperia. Found it, cleaned as good as I could and just pushed some dough through it to test and clean. Wholewheat-water dough.
It all seems okay and I even tested one of the attachments.
Left over dough (not the stuff used in the machine) got turned into a chapati :)
And now I'm looking to see if I can put the pasta thingy in easy reach.
The cunning plan is to make a thin dough for dim sum, springrolls etc and obviously Italian pasta every now and again

Back
Top Bottom