The CookingBites recipe challenge: pasta

:banghead: I have been working on a spaghetti frittata. My first attempt was inedible. Tossed it. My second attempt was edible but not competition worthy. I made a 1/2 recipe, ate a wedge and tossed the rest. I vow to conquer a lovely spaghetti frittata recipe.

:hyper: the concept is so simple. The execution is another issue.
I will not be defeated.

Take a look at spaghetti pie recipes. They might help a little.

I made one a while back to use up leftover spaghetti and Craig and I both said we had forgotten how good they are. Comfort food among the best.

Recipe - Semolina cavatelli

Recipe - Puntarelle with burrata and cavatelli

20240129_183639.jpg

Next one is coming this weekend. Why not sooner? I have a coupon that expires this Sunday for $30 off a $90 shopping trip at Kroger, and if I go to Kroger today, I won’t spend $90, but I’ll spend enough to keep me from reaching $90 this weekend.

:banghead: I have been working on a spaghetti frittata. My first attempt was inedible. Tossed it. My second attempt was edible but not competition worthy. I made a 1/2 recipe, ate a wedge and tossed the rest. I vow to conquer a lovely spaghetti frittata recipe.

:hyper: the concept is so simple. The execution is another issue.
I will not be defeated.
Experimentation is the most fun part of cooking. I trust you will succeed to your satisfaction.

I brought home a brined brisket (corned beef) from the store today. $21. Whew! There will be plenty to incorporate some into a pasta dish. I'm thinking of a spaghetti carbonara that replaces the bacon with the corned beef. I've paired corned beef with egg in the past. It's a nice combination. I'll mess with it and contribute something if it works out.

Last edited:
Here’s my second entry:

Recipe - Whole-Wheat Pasta with Yogurt and Tahini | CookingBites Cooking Forum

What intrigued me about this was the use of whole-wheat pasta. When MrsT started her WW program close to two years ago, one of the things they recommended was the use of alternative pastas, like lentil pasta, or as a last resort, whole-wheat pasta, over traditional white-flour pasta.

One problem: in our experience those pastas don’t taste very good, and whole-wheat pasta is particularly unpalatable, so I was quite surprised to see Chris Kimball specifically push whole-wheat pasta as the superior pasta for this dish, especially after having seen him publicly trash whole-wheat pasta as “worse-tasting than the box they’re packed in,” so I was intrigued.

Turns out, he was right. The definite nutty flavor of the whole-wheat pasta really works with this. It perfectly supports the creamy-lemony-nutty sauce, and if that’s not nutty enough, there are some toasted walnuts as well.

I think the toasted cumin seeds (which I normally don’t like) also add an interesting component, joining up nicely with the lemon to give some earthy brightness to the finished recipe - this would be a welcome meal in those almost-past-winter-but-not-quite-spring days of late March (here, anyway).

We've had an "Imperia" pasta machine for ages, and barely use it, so I thought it was time to dust it off and crank out some homemade stuff.
Mezzaluna with Beetroot (Casunziei all'Ampezzana)
This recipe (or something similar) popped up on my Instagram page recently and intrigued me. However, they didn't leave a recipe and when I wanted to see their blog, they said I had to pay for it. Sooo, I used my limited knowledge of Italian to google the recipe. Sure enough, there's a typical, authentic recipe from Cortina d'Ampezzo, in the Dolomites.
Making the pasta was hard work, but I hadn't done it for a couple of years so was undoubtedly out of practice. Getting the pasta to the right thickness was pretty straightforward, but cutting into circles was complicated because my cutter was twisted :hyper: . Never mind, I'm sure these things are made to test our perseverance.
Finally got all the half moons filled. The melted butter should have had black poppy seeds sprinkled over it, but I've only got white poppy seeds, so I used nigella (kalonji) seeds instead. They worked a treat.
I served 12 mezzaluna per person, but next time I'm going to up that to 15. 12 was just a bit short.
Mezzaluna with beetroot 2.jpg
Mezzaluna with beetroot 4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom