Ingredients
2 garlic cloves, finely grated
1 tsp grated lemon zest
3 TB lemon juice
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 green onions, trimmed and finely chopped
Kosher salt
12 oz whole-wheat pasta (rotini, orecchiette, farfalle, or penne are good choices)
1 cup plain whole-milk Greek-style yogurt
1/3 cup tahini
2 TB extra virgin olive oil

Directions
Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil, add 2 tablespoons salt, add the pasta, and cook per package directions.

Meanwhile, add the garlic and lemon juice to a medium mixing bowl, stir to combine, and set aside at least 10 minutes (shouldn’t be an issue with the cooking time of the pasta).

In a small skillet set over medium-low to medium heat, toast the walnuts and cumin seeds until fragrant and just starting to color, 4-6 minutes. Add to a small bowl, then stir in the green onions, 1/2 teaspoon of the lemon zest, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Once the pasta has sufficiently boiled, reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid, drain the pasta, then return it to the pot.

Add the yogurt, tahini, oil, the rest of the lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and about a 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water and whisk until smooth.

Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss to evenly coat. Stir in half the walnut-green onion mixture, then transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining walnut-green onion mixture.

Recipe based on one from The Complete Milk Street TV Show Cookbook

Whole-Wheat Pasta with Yogurt and Tahini
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
2 garlic cloves, finely grated
1 tsp grated lemon zest
3 TB lemon juice
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 green onions, trimmed and finely chopped
Kosher salt
12 oz whole-wheat pasta (rotini, orecchiette, farfalle, or penne are good choices)
1 cup plain whole-milk Greek-style yogurt
1/3 cup tahini
2 TB extra virgin olive oil

Directions
Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil, add 2 tablespoons salt, add the pasta, and cook per package directions.

Meanwhile, add the garlic and lemon juice to a medium mixing bowl, stir to combine, and set aside at least 10 minutes (shouldn’t be an issue with the cooking time of the pasta).

In a small skillet set over medium-low to medium heat, toast the walnuts and cumin seeds until fragrant and just starting to color, 4-6 minutes. Add to a small bowl, then stir in the green onions, 1/2 teaspoon of the lemon zest, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Once the pasta has sufficiently boiled, reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid, drain the pasta, then return it to the pot.

Add the yogurt, tahini, oil, the rest of the lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and about a 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water and whisk until smooth.

Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss to evenly coat. Stir in half the walnut-green onion mixture, then transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining walnut-green onion mixture.

Recipe based on one from The Complete Milk Street TV Show Cookbook

How was it?
I like the ingredients combo.
Obviously being a coeliac I eat very little gluten free pasta because it's not the same as the real thing but I reckon this would work with the taste and texture of gluten free.

The only bit that concerns me is the raw garlic. I find raw garlic takes an overnighter in the fridge for the harsh edge to mellow but with this being pasta it might not need that? What do you think?

How was it?
I gave it a full review in the challenge, but to summarize, it was quite good - very nutty flavor from the whole-wheat pasta, walnuts, and tahini, and the sauce was light and tangy.

The only bit that concerns me is the raw garlic. I find raw garlic takes an overnighter in the fridge for the harsh edge to mellow but with this being pasta it might not need that? What do you think?
I had no issue with the garlic. I made a half recipe, so I used one nice fat clove, and really wish that I’d used two. But then, I love garlic and usually double it.

Back
Top Bottom