The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sitting here trying not to melt. It is cooler but way more humid.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn, just remember in 6 months our weather will be reversed.
I think we will both be glad when mid-September gets here.
It's end of January and all of February that I don't look forward to. Ironically December with the constant 30-35C was fine.

My woolly hat has just come off, but that is because I'm eating hot porridge right now!

I have to laugh though because my parents have purchased an apartment in Tenerife (town not the island, though it is on the island of course). They are back in the UK now until October because Tenerife is too hot for them. They are coming out to see us next year. My mother thinks the beginning of February is a really good time to come. Now if they can't cope with Spain in summer how exactly do they think they are going to cope here? And I missed the best bit: she's complaining that the UK is too hot!

It's end of January and all of February that I don't look forward to. Ironically December with the constant 30-35C was fine.

My woolly hat has just come off, but that is because I'm eating hot porridge right now!

I have to laugh though because my parents have purchased an apartment in Tenerife (town not the island, though it is on the island of course). They are back in the UK now until October because Tenerife is too hot for them. They are coming out to see us next year. My mother thinks the beginning of February is a really good time to come. Now if they can't cope with Spain in summer how exactly do they think they are going to cope here? And I missed the best bit: she's complaining that the UK is too hot!
If she thinks the UK is hot right now, she really doesn't want to see you in the summer.

I was thinking mid to late September, we will both have nice temperatures. I will be cooling off and you will be heating up. I am not looking forward to late July and August if it is already over 40C here some days and summer doesn't start until tomorrow.

It has been agreed. I am making ravioli today.

@morning glory you are a pain extending that deadline you know. I used all of the mushrooms yesterday in the mushroom bisque. Had I have known that you were going to extend the deadline, I would have kept some aside. So instead of mushroom and onion filled ravioli, we now have only onion filled ravioli because the shopping was doing on Sunday and won't get done again until Saturday... I don't generally cook at the weekends because I would rather spend time with my husband than in the kitchen, so the only veg left is the following: 2 courgette, numerous carrots for the girls (chooks), potatoes (from the veg plot), onions (also from the veg plot), cauliflower, kale and broccoli. There are beans and peas in the freezer, along with more cauliflower, broccoli and some spinach. But the meal I cooked yesterday was a mushroom bisque, so is flavoured with mushrooms, onions, thyme, paprika, dill and most notably cayenne. I currently can't come up with anything other than caramelised onions as a filling that will work with that soup - the aim being to put the ravioli in the soup to serve.

If she thinks the UK is hot right now, she really doesn't want to see you in the summer.

I was thinking mid to late September, we will both have nice temperatures. I will be cooling off and you will be heating up. I am not looking forward to late July and August if it is already over 40C here some days and summer doesn't start until tomorrow.
yep - though here the temperature didn't warm up until end of October and even November saw frosts overnight! We go from 1 extreme to the other very very quickly here. Winter just suddenly happened. Feb was exceptionally hot with serious fire risks (like the sort where you evacuate as a precaution) and by March we had started frosts overnight again. My husband's birthday in the middle of March was wet and comparatively cool. We were still able to eat breakfast outside, but by April, forget it. Lunch yes, and evening meal sort of.

We have a week of -3 at Night and 13C during the day. that's not a very large temperature range for daily temps here - or particularly warm during the day. We generally see at least a 18-20C temp range between day and night temps!

yep - though here the temperature didn't warm up until end of October and even November saw frosts overnight! We go from 1 extreme to the other very very quickly here. Winter just suddenly happened. Feb was exceptionally hot with serious fire risks (like the sort where you evacuate as a precaution) and by March we had started frosts overnight again. My husband's birthday in the middle of March was wet and comparatively cool. We were still able to eat breakfast outside, but by April, forget it. Lunch yes, and evening meal sort of.

We have a week of -3 at Night and 13C during the day. that's not a very large temperature range for daily temps here - or particularly warm during the day. We generally see at least a 18-20C temp range between day and night temps!
This year we had 90's in February and 50's in May. We also had 50's in February and 90's in May.
I've seen your extremes.
A few years ago we were tent camping. We were prepared for 50 degrees as a low. One day, we had gone into town and the noon weather said the high would be 87. Within an hour, it had fallen to 40.
We packed up and went home.

It's cooled to a little over 29°C at present.

Such a strange day of thunderstorms today.

They just start at full speed, like someone turned a faucet full on, then they stop just as abruptly.

I think this is part of the storm that hit Cin the other day.

I'll be driving the truck in to work tonight to give me a fighting chance against all of the flooded highways. Thank God it's a stick cause the brakes aren't all that great. :meh:

Last edited:
Such a strange day of thunderstorms today.

They just start at full speed, like someoneone turned a faucet full on, then they stop just as abruptly.

I think this is part of the storm that hit Cin the other day.

I'll be driving the truck in to work tonight to give me a fighting chance against all of the flooded highways. Thank God it's a stick cause the brakes aren't all that great. :meh:
Not our storm as it threw its fit and then fell apart.
Though the storm we had lasted less than 30 minutes.
That is what makes these storms so dangerous. It can be totally clear one minute, look out 5 minutes later and all hail is breaking loose. Though 20 minutes of hail is terrifying.
Be safe.

Not our storm as it threw its fit and then fell apart.
Though the storm we had lasted less than 30 minutes.
That is what makes these storms so dangerous. It can be totally clear one minute, look out 5 minutes later and all hail is breaking loose. Though 20 minutes of hail is terrifying.
Be safe.

Thankfully we rarely get hail. Especially in the mountains. Rain and ice have to go up and down through the atmosphere to create the little fargin' ice balls.

The sun is just starting to break through the fog. I may soon be able to consider removing one of my 3 t-shirts (2 long sleeved and 1 short sleeved), or my fleece, or my neck buff, but the woolly socks and slippers will be staying on all day. My legs are freezing!

It's looking lovely outside... but it's still cold with a breeze so the bedding has been washed & sundried. Hooray.

I've been making ginger syrup & ginger garlic paste after a trip to Sydney on the weekend that was capped with a stop at Paddys markets where the ginger & garlic are much fresher and half the price of the supermarkets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom