The CookingBites Cookalong: Ravioli

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:34 AM
Have you ever made Ravioli? If not, then now is your chance to try! If you have cooked it before, you can share your wisdom and cook along too. The idea of the Cookalong is that members cook a classic recipe within a certain timescale and share their experience. Its a bit of fun and a chance to learn. Please join in!

I'll add a recipe from Gennaro Contaldo who, being Italian, should know what he is talking about - but there are many variations of this dish.

Please add your comments, photos, experiences to this thread. Provisional closing date Monday 19th June, but we can be flexible if people haven't had time and intend to join in. Please do say if you are intending to join in! Stop press - Cookalong extended to Monday 26th June (12am) BST (UCT/GMT+1)

Last edited:
Ravioli is simply pasta with a filling. If you haven't made fresh pasta before it might be sensible to make simple fresh pasta first before going on to make Ravioli. The simplest pasta dough recipe I know is:

For 2:
100g bread flour or 00 flour (or mix of semolina and flour)
1 egg
water if required.

Put the flour on a surface and make a well. Break in the egg. Mix the flour and egg together until you have a firm dough. Add a little water if needed. Knead for 5 minute. Roll out on a floured surface to approx 1mm thickness. Cut into strips. Drop the strips into boiling water and cook for 4 minutes.

And here is an example recipe for Ravioli from Gennaro Contaldi. Spinach and ricotta is one of the classic fillings. This is used as an example. Any Ravioli recipe you want is fine!

Ingredients
For the pasta
  • 300g/10½oz '00' flour
  • 100g/3½oz semolina
  • 4 free-range eggs
For the spinach and ricotta filling
For the sage butter sauce
Method
  1. For the pasta, mix the flour and semolina together on a clean work surface or in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and break in the eggs. With a fork or with your hands, gradually mix the flour with the eggs to form a soft dough. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, or until smooth. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

2. Flour the pasta machine with semolina and divide the pasta into 4 equal pieces. Starting at the lowest (thickest) setting, feed one piece of the dough through the machine, turning the handle with one hand and holding the dough as it comes through the machine with the other. Change the setting on the pasta machine to the next-thickest setting, flour it again and feed the pasta sheet through the machine again, as before.

3. Repeat this process 3-4 more times, flouring the machine and changing the setting down each time. The pasta should be quite thin, but still easy to handle without tearing. Don't be tempted to skip settings or the dough may tear. Repeat with the other pieces of dough. Once the pasta sheets have reached the ideal thickness, dust with semolina and set aside.

4. For the spinach and ricotta filling, bring a pot of water to the boil and add the spinach. Cook for 2 minutes, or until wilted. Remove from the pot and drain. Put in a tea towel and squeeze to drain any moisture, then finely chop. Mix all of the filling ingredients with the spinach, except the beaten egg, until well combined. Leave in the fridge to firm up slightly.

5. For the sage butter sauce add the stock into a hot pan, then add the butter and get it hot and foaming. Add the sage leaves, giving them a good squeeze before you drop them in to release their oils. Cook for 2-3 minutes.

6. To make the ravioli, put a pasta sheet on your board and place a heaped teaspoon of the ricotta mixture at equal intervals along the pasta. Brush a little of the beaten egg around each filling then lay another pasta sheet on top and carefully press down around each filling ball to remove any air. Cut in squares with your ravioli cutter or knife, then dust with semolina flour and set aside.

7. To cook the ravioli bring some water to the boil and a good pinch of salt (the water should be as salty as the sea). Drop the ravioli in to the water in small batches and cook until the float to the surface, then add them to the sage sauce. You can add a little of the pasta water to the sage sauce to get a creamy consistency.

8. Serve in warmed pasta bowls with a grating of Parmesan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spinach_and_ricotta_20145

Last edited:
Ravioli is simply pasta with a filling. If you haven't made fresh pasta before it might be sensible to make simple fresh pasta first before going on to make Ravioli. The simplest pasta dough recipe I know is:

For 2:
100g bread flour or 00 flour (or mix of semolina and flour)
1 egg
water if required.

Put the flour on a surface and make a well. Break in the egg. Mix the flour and egg together until you have a firm dough. Add a little water if needed. Knead for 5 minute. Roll out on a floured surface to approx 1mm thickness. Cut into strips. Drop the strips into boiling water and cook for 4 minutes.

And here is a recipe for Ravioli from Gennaro Contaldi. Spinach and ricotta is one of the classic fillings.

Ingredients
For the pasta
  • 300g/10½oz '00' flour
  • 100g/3½oz semolina
  • 4 free-range eggs
For the spinach and ricotta filling
For the sage butter sauce
Method
  1. For the pasta, mix the flour and semolina together on a clean work surface or in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and break in the eggs. With a fork or with your hands, gradually mix the flour with the eggs to form a soft dough. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, or until smooth. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

2. Flour the pasta machine with semolina and divide the pasta into 4 equal pieces. Starting at the lowest (thickest) setting, feed one piece of the dough through the machine, turning the handle with one hand and holding the dough as it comes through the machine with the other. Change the setting on the pasta machine to the next-thickest setting, flour it again and feed the pasta sheet through the machine again, as before.

3. Repeat this process 3-4 more times, flouring the machine and changing the setting down each time. The pasta should be quite thin, but still easy to handle without tearing. Don't be tempted to skip settings or the dough may tear. Repeat with the other pieces of dough. Once the pasta sheets have reached the ideal thickness, dust with semolina and set aside.

4. For the spinach and ricotta filling, bring a pot of water to the boil and add the spinach. Cook for 2 minutes, or until wilted. Remove from the pot and drain. Put in a tea towel and squeeze to drain any moisture, then finely chop. Mix all of the filling ingredients with the spinach, except the beaten egg, until well combined. Leave in the fridge to firm up slightly.

5. For the sage butter sauce add the stock into a hot pan, then add the butter and get it hot and foaming. Add the sage leaves, giving them a good squeeze before you drop them in to release their oils. Cook for 2-3 minutes.

6. To make the ravioli, put a pasta sheet on your board and place a heaped teaspoon of the ricotta mixture at equal intervals along the pasta. Brush a little of the beaten egg around each filling then lay another pasta sheet on top and carefully press down around each filling ball to remove any air. Cut in squares with your ravioli cutter or knife, then dust with semolina flour and set aside.

7. To cook the ravioli bring some water to the boil and a good pinch of salt (the water should be as salty as the sea). Drop the ravioli in to the water in small batches and cook until the float to the surface, then add them to the sage sauce. You can add a little of the pasta water to the sage sauce to get a creamy consistency.

8. Serve in warmed pasta bowls with a grating of Parmesan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spinach_and_ricotta_20145

Gennaro docet. But for the sage butter sauce "put the stock into a hot pan" I've never heard and never seen. I think is unecessary

PUMPKIN Ravioli - with sage butter sauce and parmesan ..are delicious. Are you interested?:p:\
ravioli alla zucca.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just discovered it in wordreference. I'm glad you are from Milan, I'm writing in english because I'm studying it and I have to practice. (Maybe with many mistakes.)
Anyway I absolutely don't use stock :) Where do you live in Milan?

I've just discovered it in wordreference. I'm glad you are from Milan, I'm writing in english because I'm studying it and I have to practice. (Maybe with many mistakes.)
Anyway I absolutely don't use stock :) Where do you live in Milan?

I make a lot of mistakes in English here too :happy:...CB members have a lot of patience with my English! It's a good thing to have practice, ottimo, anche per me è un po' così..
I don't live anymore in Milano since few months..now I live in Saronno (a lot of amaretti biscuits :laugh:, I like it very much. And where do you live in Milano?

mmm...I have some doubt about this..maybe is his personal taste because sage butter sauce is made only with melted butter and sage in the pan. Nothing more.
Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you meant the hot pan was not necessary. Yes, I agree that many recipes sage butter sauce usually don't contain stock.

Nope. Me and ravioli are just not very easy bedfellows.

Okay here’s the story. Tonight, circumstances left me cooking tea just for myself. So I had to grab the opportunity. Not just to make ravioli, but to make ravioli with a seafood filling. So I bought some crabmeat. Yeah, don’t give me a hard time, buying an actual crab and preparing it was never an option. In any case, I made some pasta with my newfound confidence after the mushroom tagliatelle, and I formed five ravioli, filled with crabmeat mixed with chopped little gem lettuce, seasoned and with a little lemon juice. And then it all started to go wrong. Of five ravioli, only three actually made it to the pot, and after cooking, only one was even close to being worth serving. And an awful lot of expensive crabmeat was wasted. The one I actually eat was lovely. Shame it wasn’t five.

Back
Top Bottom