The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have cleared out my wardrobe, some stuff is going to the charity shop on Friday, some in my suitcase ready for next Sunday :hyper:

a lovely balmy -5C this morning. Trust me, it actually felt warm after yesterday morning of -7C. Life is looking wonderful outside and this cold snap is set to continue. Something that has come up from the southern oceans... we were at one point seeing snow forecast on the BOM app... but that has disappeared now and we are back to the blue skies, sunny weather and frosts.

Curiously they don't grit (or de-ice) roads here at all. You are just expected to drive carefully!
Not everyone does though sadly.

I can't wait for tomorrow. My son starts his first football (American football) camp tomorrow.

I finally got my wife to give in and let him play. There's a lot of controversy surrounding the sport because of head injuries, so she would never let him play. But since he is starting private school next year, and the coaches are paid professionals, not angry, over-aggressive dads, she finally capitulated.

Now I just have to pray he doesn't get his bell rung, or I'll never hear the end of it.

Go Lions!

Are the head injuries as frequent or as bad as they make out? Take a look at Hurling(GAA), you'll see that many older players still don't wear helmets.

Despite it being highly likely that you'll get hit with an Ash stick at sometime during the game.

The biggest killer in GAA in recent years has been heart failure, amongst the younger end. Something that is on the increase in football in the UK.

Because they wear helmets, most players think that they are invincible. But the brain still gets rattled around inside the skull if the hits are hard enough. No helmet can stop that.

I've seen a few Hurling matches at Gaelic Park in the Bronx years ago. I lived a few blocks north of it while I was in college.
It looked more like a primitive battle than a sport.

Because they wear helmets, most players think that they are invincible. But the brain still gets rattled around inside the skull if the hits are hard enough. No helmet can stop that.

I've seen a few Hurling matches at Gaelic Park in the Bronx years ago. I lived a few blocks north of it while I was in college.
It looked more like a primitive battle than a sport.
It's not as bad as it looks, and injuries during the game are rare. You'll not be taking part in a game I take it!

I'm aware of the brain bouncing about in the skull. It can take around six months to stop. Hopefully it'll not put him off the game or make him take chances.

No Hurling for me. I played Lacrosse in college and got 2 concussions. That was quite enough.

I'm sure my son will be OK. HE's playing with kids13 and under, so none of them are giants yet.

No Hurling for me. I played Lacrosse in college and got 2 concussions. That was quite enough.

I'm sure my son will be OK. HE's playing with kids13 and under, so none of them are giants yet.
You've never met my family. We have shrimps, giants and in betweens.

Barry Gibb is on at Glastonbury, legend with an odd voice, his pants aren't even tight :meh:

Is this an accurate picture?

glastonbury.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom