The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been raining off and on most of the day but it appears to have cleared now. Albeit the humidity is 90% it's still very pleasant sat on the stoep with a lager at 25 degC (almost 6 pm).

At regular intervals I am required to verify that I am still alive for my state pension and my company pension. Rather than email the requisite form both institutes post them. Now, the Government send the form via Schiedam and my company send it via Vienna. They both take around 3 to 4 weeks to reach me (normal mail from UK is around 6 days) and then they require a response from me within a few days. They're obviously out of luck.

I put put the garbage at 6:45 this morning. By 7:45, a bear must have come by and decided to have a snack. (the garbage can was way too heavy for something like a racoon).

0725170838_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I just went to make breadsticks. I have either oversize rolls or mini loaves of bread.

Whoa, @buckytom, you live in The Land of McMansions!

I've spent parts of the last three days doing some housecleaning around here. I've decided I'm not cut out for the life of a domestic. Wish I had been born rich instead of good-looking. :unsure: Um, wait, I'm not all that good-looking, either. :giggle:

Last edited:

I've spent parts of the last three days doing some housecleaning around here. I've decided I'm not cut out for the life of a domestic. Wish I had been born rich instead of good-looking. :unsure: Um, wait, I'm not all that good-looking, either. :giggle:

I bet you are, so let us decide :wink: :pics:

On the way back from a trip to the dentist in Edinburgh (vegetarian vampire ducks have a single fang that needs maintenance now and then), I bumped into a chap I hadn't seen in over three years. One of the things he told me was that he'd read my novel when he was on holiday. That cheered me up immensely. It's possible that my readership has reached double figures by now.

Oh, c'mon, let's see a picture.

And no, not a mcmansion. McMansions are when someone knocks down a small house in a modest neighborhood, then builds something 4 stories high, edge to edge on the property. The whole neighborhood was designed and built big in 2001.

That house across that street is nice, but it's a smaller than all of the other houses, and it's cursed. So far of the 4 families have lived there, and the first three have gotten divorced. The most recent couple, just moved in a year ago, appears to be separated already.

Last edited:
Wow, that is a lovely looking neighbourhood :okay:

The houses and properties are great, the neighbors not so much. We found out that they all used to have creepy sex parties in my house years ago.

I'm having a priest come over to bless our house, we put up a statue of Buddha over the front door, and I'm going to do a Native American exorcism with chanting and drums, a bonfire, and the burning of sage and sweetgrass in every room.

Ya gotta cover all of your bases.

The houses and properties are great, the neighbors not so much. We found out that they all used to have creepy sex parties in my house years ago.

I'm having a priest come over to bless our house, we put up a statue of Buddha over the front door, and I'm going to do a Native American exorcism with chanting and drums, a bonfire, and the burning of sage and sweetgrass in every room.

Ya gotta cover all of your bases.
Don't forget the garlic. Lots of garlic. You never know...

Today was the day of the Nantwich International Cheese Festival. If you like cheese, it's a good place to go. This is a section of the judging area:

IMG_1710.JPG

All of those cheeses get binned at the end of the show. They've been out of the fridge for two days, and been sampled using a cheese trier - a tool not unlike an apple corer that pulls out a plug of cheese for tasting. They are deemed unsafe for human consumption, despite 99% of the cheese still being protected by rind or wrapper. A few years ago I was GM of a company that provided infrastructure services for this show. After the show closed my teams would move in to dismantle things, and being skilled at distracting security guards would 'relocate' as much cheese as possible from the disposal bins to the back of our trucks. Crying shame to waste it! Those things take up a lot of room in the freezer.

A slightly smaller haul today, and all purchased at trade show (low) prices. Should keep us going for a bit:

IMG_1712.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom