The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was the day of the Nantwich International Cheese Festival. If you like cheese, it's a good place to go. This is a section of the judging area:

View attachment 9380

All of those cheeses get binned at the end of the show. They've been out of the fridge for two days, and been sampled using a cheese trier - a tool not unlike an apple corer that pulls out a plug of cheese for tasting. They are deemed unsafe for human consumption, despite 99% of the cheese still being protected by rind or wrapper. A few years ago I was GM of a company that provided infrastructure services for this show. After the show closed my teams would move in to dismantle things, and being skilled at distracting security guards would 'relocate' as much cheese as possible from the disposal bins to the back of our trucks. Crying shame to waste it! Those things take up a lot of room in the freezer.

A slightly smaller haul today, and all purchased at trade show (low) prices. Should keep us going for a bit:

View attachment 9379

Cheese :thumbsup::hungry:

We attended a cooking demo by James Martin this morning. He is brilliant - a real natural, and a good cook. He announced that he will be doing a cooking tour of the USA later this year, starting in Alaska then working anti clockwise before ending up in New Hampshire. He has been granted permission to cook in the kitchen at Southfork on his way through Texas (@Cinisajoy that's got to be worth a visit?). In September, a new Saturday series featuring him cooking from home will be aired.

We attended a cooking demo by James Martin this morning. He is brilliant - a real natural, and a good cook. He announced that he will be doing a cooking tour of the USA later this year, starting in Alaska then working anti clockwise before ending up in New Hampshire. He has been granted permission to cook in the kitchen at Southfork on his way through Texas (@Cinisajoy that's got to be worth a visit?). In September, a new Saturday series featuring him cooking from home will be aired.
The Southfork Ranch is the place where the original "Dallas" (a tv drama) was filmed. Now it is a tourist attraction. Personally, I wouldn't visit. Thanks for the giggle.

We attended a cooking demo by James Martin this morning. He is brilliant - a real natural, and a good cook.
I'm a great fan of James Martin. He trained as a pastry cook which you would never guess - until you see him making a dessert. Saturday Kitchen is not the same without him.

I'm a great fan of James Martin. He trained as a pastry cook which you would never guess - until you see him making a dessert. Saturday Kitchen is not the same without him.
His new series, starting in September, will be aired on Saturday mornings. He joked that he got fed up with people complaining that he had ruined their Saturdays when he stopped doing Saturday Kitchen. It is being filmed at his house, will be quite informal and features a celebrity guest each week. Sadly, he only plans the one series.

The Southfork Ranch is the place where the original "Dallas" (a tv drama) was filmed. Now it is a tourist attraction. Personally, I wouldn't visit. Thanks for the giggle.
Dallas was huge over here when I was a kid. I don't remember a tv show being more popular. "Who shot JR?" gripped the nation.

Dallas was huge over here when I was a kid. I don't remember a tv show being more popular. "Who shot JR?" gripped the nation.
IIRC he was shot in May and the shooter wasn't revealed until September. Googled it was March and November.
Oh and no not everyone lives like the Ewings in Texas. I moved to California while Dallas was still on the air. Yes, I got asked if we owned cattle and had oil wells.
Just for basic trivia, no the two are not usually on the same land. Actually there are not many oilfields around Dallas. Oil is typically found farther east, farther west and both north and south. Now yes, there are many oilfield millionaires in Dallas and Houston.
Now many, many people lost their everything in the 1986 bust.

His new series, starting in September, will be aired on Saturday mornings. He joked that he got fed up with people complaining that he had ruined their Saturdays when he stopped doing Saturday Kitchen. It is being filmed at his house, will be quite informal and features a celebrity guest each week. Sadly, he only plans the one series.

He had a series like that before where guests come to his house and he cooks for them. Its been aired many times on Good Food channel.

Never watched it :headshake:
According to wiki, the episode revealing who shot JR was the most watched non-sporting program between 1979 and 1985. It was very much of it's time - the Me, Me, Me culture of the Thatcher years, the greed, yuppyism, the emergence of flash city wheeler dealers, "loadsamoney" etc. Dallas fitted into that very nicely, along with other similar shows - Knotts Landing (a Dallas spin off), Dynasty, the Colbys etc. But in a boardroom shoot out there could only be one winner - Del Boy, any day of the week!

According to wiki, the episode revealing who shot JR was the most watched non-sporting program between 1979 and 1985. It was very much of it's time - the Me, Me, Me culture of the Thatcher years, the greed, yuppyism, the emergence of flash city wheeler dealers, "loadsamoney" etc. Dallas fitted into that very nicely, along with other similar shows - Knotts Landing (a Dallas spin off), Dynasty, the Colbys etc. But in a boardroom shoot out there could only be one winner - Del Boy, any day of the week!
According to wiki:
The final episode of MASH in 1983 took and has kept the top spot for most watched show, Cheers finale episode is now in 2nd and that Dallas episode is still the third most watched episode ever.
*Useless trivia: the final episode of MASH was the first time I had ever seen the show.

I did find the early episodes of Cheers somewhat amusing. One of the few American "comedies" that I liked. "Home Improvement" and "Married With Children" weren't bad either in my opinion.

According to wiki:
The final episode of MASH in 1983 took and has kept the top spot for most watched show, Cheers finale episode is now in 2nd and that Dallas episode is still the third most watched episode ever.
*Useless trivia: the final episode of MASH was the first time I had ever seen the show.
That last episode of Mash was screened over here recently on one of the satellite channels. As with most episodes it had me rolling about the floor one minute, and trying to pretend I'd got something in my eye the next.

That last episode of Mash was screened over here recently on one of the satellite channels. As with most episodes it had me rolling about the floor one minute, and trying to pretend I'd got something in my eye the next.
We get MASH every day on one of our channels. 5 episodes in a row. The odd thing is they never show the final episode. Unless it is as a special at a different time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom