The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be scarce around here for about the next month. We're leaving on vacation in less than a week and I have yet to decide where we MUST stop en route to our first firm destination - not to mention laundry, packing, and a modicum of cleaning. I'd like to make a stop to buy hand-made kitchen tools like spoons and ladles that are made by a craftsman in PA, but I need to check if we must by them at the craftsman's partner retail store or if we are able to stop at his workshop. I'm hoping we get to stop where he works. Next, what sites do we want to see as we travel along the Shenandoah Park? Right now I'm heavily favoring a visit to Thomas Jefferson's summer retreat, Poplar Forest. We stumbled upon it in the early 2000s, when it was just starting to be restored. We stopped again about ten years ago and made a small donation in my Mom's name after settling her estate; she was a big admirer of Jefferson. Although it was a small sum, they treated us like big-buck donors and gave us a personal tour of special restorations going on, and a trip to an area on the site that was undergoing an archaeological dig. Now I'm interesting in seeing how some of these projects have been finished off.

After viewing the Solar Eclipse from an area that will be in the totality zone (about 2 minutes, 20 seconds of utter blackness), we'll head to spend time with our children in Ohio. When we leave there depends on how long our daughter tolerates us living with her. As we all get older, she wants us to stick around longer. No complaints from THIS mom! :love:

I'll still bop in from time to time, so you can't get rid of me completely. :D

Hope you have a really great time :thumbsup:

We have spent the day in London, a mooch around Borough Market, squinted at The Shard, spent 2 and a half hours in the V&A museum looking at the Pink Floyd exhibition, Vietnames evening meal then to the theatre to see The Book Of Mormon. We are now relaxing with a glass of wine. A great day, sunny at long last. It was my husbands birthday and that is how he chose to spend his day.

This morning we are both feeling the effects of the London pollution.

Too lazy to read all 280 pages....what or who is the sister site CC?
CC is CycleChat which is a forum for cycling enthusiasts which has the same owner as this site. There are a few members here who also belong to CycleChat. No need to read all the pages! This is just a dive in and chat thread - chat about anything!

Last edited:
This morning we are both feeling the effects of the London pollution.
Pollution levels have been quite low in central London (Westminster) and where I live (Essex borders) at 1-3 for the last few days. Earlier in the year they were 8-10 on more than one occasion - on days like that, I don't go out at all, and keep the windows shut.

Wow - Do you need anyone to carry your cases ? :wink::D
Thank you for the offer, @sidevalve, but we Sherpa our own luggage. :giggle: Besides, we don't pack "light", so I'm afraid we would have to strap you to our roof...which has a double sunroof. You'd block our view of the sky! And, perhaps, slide right off. :ohmy:

So long as the eclipse isn't the start of the end!
@classic33, this world has made it through other eclipses, so I'm hoping this one will be the same. Armed with proper eye attire, at least we know that part of us is safe.

Hope you have a really great time :thumbsup:
Thanks, @Lullabelle. Spending time with our kids is always a blessing. That, and we get to visit old haunts in our birth state and get to investigate a few new ones that have opened in the last six months or year.

Thank you for the offer, @sidevalve, but we Sherpa our own luggage. :giggle: Besides, we don't pack "light", so I'm afraid we would have to strap you to our roof...which has a double sunroof. You'd block our view of the sky! And, perhaps, slide right off. :ohmy:

@classic33, this world has made it through other eclipses, so I'm hoping this one will be the same. Armed with proper eye attire, at least we know that part of us is safe.

Thanks, @Lullabelle. Spending time with our kids is always a blessing. That, and we get to visit old haunts in our birth state and get to investigate a few new ones that have opened in the last six months or year.
Nothing like lugging a sixteen stone rucksack on holiday, is there?

Keep an eye on/open for Niribu.

Last edited:
Work & Pleasure Combined Week August 8th through August 20th:

Leaving the city of Bilbao, The Basque Country behind, we have made our way to the coast and the harbours that have brought fame to the "fishermen of Bizkaia" .. Literary classics have sung praises of Bermeo, and the fresh wild cod fish of Newfoundland, Canada since the times of the Vikings. The Newfoundland Museum of the Basque Fishermen is a gold mine of artworks from this era ..

The specialties of the sheltered coasts of Bizkaia, are its spiny lobsters, brightly colored fishing boats and the millions of Tapas Bars steeped in the daily catch.

Urdaibai is a Reserve, Biosphere, filled with wild life. Indeed countless estuary locals have told us, that this región has a Micro climate, filled with fertile gardens of plants brought back from the Central and South Americas , many which have become a staple in the Basque Regional Cuisines ..

The Gernika, a sacred village, where the Basque people, gather under an oak tree to make important political decisions since ancient times. The Marmitako, an amazingly incredibly Fishermen´s Stew,, the most famous dish of region, which signifies:

Mar = The Sea
Mi = Me
Tako = Chunk ( chunks of fresh fish )

Also, on the gastro topic, stuffed baby squid in its own ink, Chiprones en Su Tinta, is another specialty in this coastal región of tiny fishing villages ..

Going from bar to bar, is an age old tradition through out The Iberian Peninsula, and it is called a " Poteo " or a " Txiteo " or a " Tapeo " or a "Tapas Crawl" or Bar Hopping in English ..

This ritual, takes place year round, and has no seasons ..

As we have just arrived in the world famed Michelin constellation, the City of San Sebastian, Donostia, there is no place in the world with the exception of Paris, so, illuminated with Starred Cuisine Establishments ..

This región is the home of uncountable Culinary Institutes and the most famous of them is, The Basque Culinary Centre, a tour given on this Circuit Trip to our clientel ( tourist groups ) ..

On my way to lunch, have a wonderful summer ..

Work & Pleasure Combined Week August 8th through August 20th:

Leaving the city of Bilbao, The Basque Country behind, we have made our way to the coast and the harbours that have brought fame to the "fishermen of Bizkaia" .. Literary classics have sung praises of Bermeo, and the fresh wild cod fish of Newfoundland, Canada since the times of the Vikings. The Newfoundland Museum of the Basque Fishermen is a gold mine of artworks from this era ..

The specialties of the sheltered coasts of Bizkaia, are its spiny lobsters, brightly colored fishing boats and the millions of Tapas Bars steeped in the daily catch.

Urdaibai is a Reserve, Biosphere, filled with wild life. Indeed countless estuary locals have told us, that this región has a Micro climate, filled with fertile gardens of plants brought back from the Central and South Americas , many which have become a staple in the Basque Regional Cuisines ..

The Gernika, a sacred village, where the Basque people, gather under an oak tree to make important political decisions since ancient times. The Marmitako, an amazingly incredibly Fishermen´s Stew,, the most famous dish of region, which signifies:

Mar = The Sea
Mi = Me
Tako = Chunk ( chunks of fresh fish )

Also, on the gastro topic, stuffed baby squid in its own ink, Chiprones en Su Tinta, is another specialty in this coastal región of tiny fishing villages ..

Going from bar to bar, is an age old tradition through out The Iberian Peninsula, and it is called a " Poteo " or a " Txiteo " or a " Tapeo " or a "Tapas Crawl" or Bar Hopping in English ..

This ritual, takes place year round, and has no seasons ..

As we have just arrived in the world famed Michelin constellation, the City of San Sebastian, Donostia, there is no place in the world with the exception of Paris, so, illuminated with Starred Cuisine Establishments ..

This región is the home of uncountable Culinary Institutes and the most famous of them is, The Basque Culinary Centre, a tour given on this Circuit Trip to our clientel ( tourist groups ) ..

On my way to lunch, have a wonderful summer ..

We were in Bilbao last year for a long weekend, we saw Kraftwerk at the Guggenheim Museum, enjoyed chocolate covered croissants at the cafe just outside and enjoyed Amstel beer and endless pintxos. Perfect weekend :thumbsup:

We were in Bilbao last year for a long weekend, we saw Kraftwerk at the Guggenheim Museum, enjoyed chocolate covered croissants at the cafe just outside and enjoyed Amstel beer and endless pintxos. Perfect weekend :thumbsup:

@Lullabelle

Yes, Bilbao is a marvelous city.

Yes, we were at the Guggenheim Museum on Thursday, though I have been many times for pleasure as well as business. We were invited to the opening .. The architecture is simply spectacular ..

The quality of the local products are amazing and the historic fishing villages along the Bizkaia Coast & the historic hamlets in Mountains of Bizkaia are breathtakingly beautiful ..

Have a lovely weekend ..
Thank you ..

Madhur Jaffrey CBE is 84 years old today.

Madhur Jaffrey.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom