The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. I absolutely loathe housework in any shape or form! I am thinking of getting a cleaner - but I'd have to clean up first as I think they would run a mile.
Same here! Even if they did make some sort of order in my house, the mutt and the cats would soon undo all their hard work. The mutt only has to wag his very long tail and everything goes flying, and of course the cats would jump on everything and rearrange it all.
But I have found a gardener recently. He is a retired bloke who wants to keep busy. He can do all the heavy work I can't manage (and all the weeding etc. which I hate). Its an expense but I think its worth it at my age. He charges £10 an hour and has transformed my garden after several 3 hour sessions. I think now I can just have him for 6 - 8 hours a month and my garden will stay looking OK. Yes, I know that's £s a month - but since my son has gone vegan and we are all eating vegan 5 nights a week, I'm saving loads of money on food shopping!
Gardeners take a look at my garden and the first thing they say is that they will dig all the blackberry bushes out! They can't understand why I want to keep them, until I say I get on average 20 lbs or so of blackberries every year - then the penny drops. They don't like the elders or the hazel tree either, although they don't comment at all on the apple tree. They can't understand why I've got a clump of ivy, nettles and some other flowers either. If they saw all the bees and the birds I get visiting, maybe they'd get the idea. One year my garden went in the RSPB records simply because of the high number of sparrows I have in there. The robins and the blackbirds nest in my garden regularly, and starlings and thrushes are regular visitors. Gardeners also say they will turf the back garden. I have a greyhound for god's sake! Zoomies round the garden and all that. The last thing I want is a lawn - mind you, I'd never have to mow it - it wouldn't last that long :laugh:

We got in the truck this morning and the cab stunk. I immediately thought dead rat/mouse. I opened the bonnet and there was a sliver of soap on the top of the air filter casing (it had previously been where one of the the outside taps was used for washing hands after gardening). My wife reckons that a mouse/rat had carried it up there although there was no sign of one now.

Does anyone know if it's normal for mice/rats to have a penchant for soap?

It cost Bht 1,000.00 (c. US$ 30.00) yesterday to have the truck aircon serviced including topping up the freon and removing the dead mouse.

Does anyone know if it's normal for mice/rats to have a penchant for soap?
It depends what the soap is made of. Having said that, the only thing I have found that rats will not eat is the cob from corn on the cob (although I cannot vouch for wild rats). Don't have any problem with mice or rats in my garden. All three cats are good mousers, and the black female cat is a good ratter too. The mutt would probably run a mile.....

There's moisture in the insulation -
Didn't know that :ohmy: But I've even seen the results of them gnawing on the old lead covered cable too :eek:. Living out here we see a fair few 'country rats' but I suspect they commute under my little workshop shed en route from one end of the village to the other [farms at both ends].

We were out today down to the snooker and the smell in the cab had gone (although my wife says she can still smell something from the outside).

Dreadful the events in Barcelona today - I hope you weren't directly affected @Francesca.

@morning glory

Thank you for all your concerns. Yes, I am fine. I am in The Basque Country until the 20th .. 2nd trip but a different itinerary.

My husband is on vacation up in Cadaques with the our 2 twin sons, and the family (parents, in laws, daughter in laws & 2 grandsons). They do not live in Barcelona. They all live in Cadaques .. The Factory & Gallery are in the Gerona Autonomous Región or Province.

I followed the news reports which are continuous and google reports .. We live close to the Las Ramblas & Bari Gotti, but not in that zone ..

I feel terrible about the 2 children who are so gravely injured and the little three year old boy who died ..

The injured approx .. 80 ..But gravely 15 ..

It is truly catastrophic ..

Thanks again and have a lovely weekend ..

Another of my friends died in the Bangkok Hospital overnight. Very sad; a real gentleman.

This is happening far too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom