The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Email to Thai bank: I wish to open a FCD account, what do I need to provide?

Thai bank: Only your passport, your work permit and a bag full of cash (sorry, the last bit was an attempt at sarcasm).

So, if I don't have a work permit, then I cannot open a FCD account?

No, you cannot.

But I am retired and even if I wanted a work permit I could not obtain one. I've been a customer of this bank for 18 years.

Ah, OK, if you're retired, you don't need a work permit to open a FCD account.

At the other end of the UK, it was bloody horrible here yesterday; grey, drizzly and none too warm. In fact, all of the things that qualify a day to be described by that excellent Scottish adjective dreich. Today is a great deal more pleasant, with a bit of cloud, but a fair amount of blue sky and sunshine.

Meanwhile, I await a delivery today. I received a tracking link from the courier and they informed me I could expect delivery between 18:24 and 20:24. I mused for a moment on the rather curious times and then followed the link, which told me the parcel had left the depot at 08:55.

All of this left me wondering where on Earth their depot is. Marseille?

It doesn't just happen here in Thailand.

When I retired, my company asked for a copy of my birth certificate. Well, I don't actually have it here in Thailand, will my passport not suffice? Yes, your passport will suffice but not everyone has a passport.

To what address did you send the request?

At the other end of the UK, it was bloody horrible here yesterday; grey, drizzly and none too warm. In fact, all of the things that qualify a day to be described by that excellent Scottish adjective dreich. Today is a great deal more pleasant, with a bit of cloud, but a fair amount of blue sky and sunshine.

Meanwhile, I await a delivery today. I received a tracking link from the courier and they informed me I could expect delivery between 18:24 and 20:24. I mused for a moment on the rather curious times and then followed the link, which told me the parcel had left the depot at 08:55.

All of this left me wondering where on Earth their depot is. Marseille?

I had notification from a courier once that stated that there was no-one at home when they attempted to deliver a parcel and they would try again the following day.

The next day we had a phone call asking where exactly did we live in the village?

[To point out: when you build a house in a Thai village, as soon as you have installed the roof, you may then apply for an address. The address is issued by the Pooyai Baan (village mayor) and you will then receive a house number. There is effectively only one street in our village, albeit about 1 kilometre long, and the house number given will be the next one on his list in his book. This, of course, could then be 800 plus metres from the previously issued number and the same from the next issued number. It fascinates me how the postmen manage.]

The address is issued by the Pooyai Baan (village mayor) and you will then receive a house number. There is effectively only one street in our village, albeit about 1 kilometre long, and the house number given will be the next one on his list in his book. This, of course, could then be 800 plus metres from the previously issued number and the same from the next issued number. It fascinates me how the postmen manage.]

:eek:

It has been raining all day which is such a contrast to the last few days. I am staying in baking and cooking.:)

I left hubby alone and unattended (he did behave himself while I was gone) and bopped around our daughter's little town. Made a few stops along the way. Each time I got out of the car, the sky looked a bit more threatening. Each time I left a shop, I got back to the car without encountering any rain. Until the last stop. :laugh: Fortunately, it was just a light drizzle. Since I'm not made of sugar, I wasn't worried that I would melt.

...[To point out: when you build a house in a Thai village, as soon as you have installed the roof, you may then apply for an address. The address is issued by the Pooyai Baan (village mayor) and you will then receive a house number. There is effectively only one street in our village, albeit about 1 kilometre long, and the house number given will be the next one on his list in his book. This, of course, could then be 800 plus metres from the previously issued number and the same from the next issued number. It fascinates me how the postmen manage.]
I will no longer complain about how houses are numbered and streets are marked up here in Massachusetts. :scratchhead:

[To point out: when you build a house in a Thai village, as soon as you have installed the roof, you may then apply for an address. The address is issued by the Pooyai Baan (village mayor) and you will then receive a house number. There is effectively only one street in our village, albeit about 1 kilometre long, and the house number given will be the next one on his list in his book. This, of course, could then be 800 plus metres from the previously issued number and the same from the next issued number. It fascinates me how the postmen manage.]
The houses in the village where my Austrian friend lives are numbered in the order that they were built, so 45 is next to 33, and 34 is several hundred yards away round the corner. She currently lives at no. 10, which is next door to her friend's house which is no. 21, and so on.
The street where I live is not quite as bad. It is L-shaped. Odd nos. 1-11 are on the left as you enter the road, 2 and 4 are opposite. 6-36 are at the end of our bit of the road (on the long bit of the L), 13-23 are directly behind 1-11 with no road access, and 25 is in the road ours is a turning off of. Odd numbers from 27 upwards do not exist.....yet

The houses in the village where my Austrian friend lives are numbered in the order that they were built, so 45 is next to 33, and 34 is several hundred yards away round the corner. She currently lives at no. 10, which is next door to her friend's house which is no. 21, and so on.
The street where I live is not quite as bad. It is L-shaped. Odd nos. 1-11 are on the left as you enter the road, 2 and 4 are opposite. 6-36 are at the end of our bit of the road (on the long bit of the L), 13-23 are directly behind 1-11 with no road access, and 25 is in the road ours is a turning off of. Odd numbers from 27 upwards do not exist.....yet

Blimey! Pity the post person.

If I remember correctly when I was living in the UK, the numbers were odd to the left and even to the right commencing at the end of the street closest to the centre of the town/city/village.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom