The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a Yank - remember what?

I am fascinated by the British infatuation with the Royals. Need to start a thread on the royals - for the edification of us Yanks.

Its not to do with the Royals. Its Remembrance day today in the UK in memory of those who died in battle in the First World War. There is a minute of silence observed on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in remembrance. The poppies are the symbol of remembrance.

Been working outside again.... I want to know why any gardening here in Australia involves the use of a crowbar? any time you need to dig a hole, no wonder the ground does not absorb water!

I'm slowly starting to get the garden to look nice...

View attachment 11503

Just the remaining 5 acres to deal with... :whistling:

Looking really lovely.

I am a Yank - remember what?

I am fascinated by the British infatuation with the Royals. Need to start a thread on the royals - for the edification of us Yanks.
The remembering is for those who died in all wars. Not just limited to WWI & WWII.

The queen being the head of state, in a similar way to the US president, leads events.

Been working outside again.... I want to know why any gardening here in Australia involves the use of a crowbar? any time you need to dig a hole, no wonder the ground does not absorb water!

I'm slowly starting to get the garden to look nice...

View attachment 11503

Just the remaining 5 acres to deal with... :whistling:

You have my sympathies.

When we came to our current home 11 years ago we couldn’t get a shovel into the ground. Awful.
The only way to garden was to put a rock border in after chemically murdering the grass/weeds then back fill to a depth of 30cm/1 foot with huge truck loads of shredded/chipped trees from a local landscaper.
I top it up every couple of years but I now have gorgeous soil in my garden. The soil underneath this rich black layer is still crappy but it’s possible to dig deeper than the original 30cm now.

In the back for the veggies I put in a border of “railway sleepers” and back filled with organic topsoil especially for veggie patches but that cost a fortune. And I keep it well looked after by digging in mushroom compost & other organic matter every year.

Yep, we had the nights in a row this week with temperatures down at 2C or 3C... Even the night forecast as 7C turned out to be 2C! But this next week is all double figures overnight now... and daytime temps of 27-29C are going to come as a shock to the system...

I'm also trying to arrange a visit to Sydney to see some friends. I must do I before it gets too warm there!
Yes. Sydney is summer is very humid. Not comfortable at all.

I grew up there but I’m well suited to the cooler dryer climate on the western side of the mountains.

@morning glory , @classic33 ,
:thankyou: for the clarification. I am enthralled with the fascination with the Royals.
As for our elected officials I have very mixed feelings. I am registered as a Republican. Basically conservative. I am not a party voter. I think of myself as a constitutionalist. Our Constitution trumps all. In my opinion elected officials MUST respect and abide by our constitution. Do I need to say that I am EXTREMRLY unhappy with the current administration? There is no respect for the Constitution. I voted Libertarian in the last presidential election as a vote against the two primary candidates. I need to shut my mouth.

Last edited:
Think of it as a family that has been kept as a figurehead only. The queen has no vote, so can't have any say in who represents her. This despite the "Oath of Office" taken by all elected representatives include being loyal to her first.

Some of these same people want the monarchy removed. An act of treason, used to be punishable by death. They want a system such as the US one. I say try a few for treason, and carry out the penalty. Soon stop any more with the same idea.

@classic33
Unless I am reading you wrong you are for the monarchy and think nay-sayers are treasonous. I mean no disrespect. I am just very curious. A monarchy is just such an unusual idea to me. Not to make judgement - our system has it's own problems. There is no true representation of the average citizen. No $$$$$ no run for office. :( BTW - I kind of feel sorry for Prince Charles - his Mum refuses to retire - poor guy - he is already a senior with a slim hope of being King. His sons are great and Kate is a doll. Classy woman! Her babes are adorable.

What are your thoughts - when Her Majesty takes her last breathe do you think Prince Charles will accept the position of King or will he cede the honor to his son? Seriously curious.

Again - no disrespect intended. I do not want to ruffle any feathers. Just being a nosy Yank.

I kind of feel sorry for Prince Charles - his Mum refuses to retire - poor guy - he is already a senior with a slim hope of being King
I don't think you should feel too sorry for him. He is really quite well off! :) :whistling:
In 2016, his total assets are said to have reached an all-time high of nearly $1.3 billion. A significant bulk of this stems also from the Duchy of Cornwall; although he doesn’t actually own the colossal real estate portfolio, his royal position enables him to receive income from it as the land’s sole beneficiary. According to last year’s annual report, it paid him more than $25 million.
http://uk.businessinsider.com/how-m...?r=US&IR=T/#prince-charles-duke-of-cornwall-4

Actually the royals have very little wealth - most of their property is public owned, their estates have to make money to survive [and that means generating jobs] and they generate an immense amount of revenue in tourism. Further it may interest some to learn that a British soldier swears allegiance to the monarch NOT to the government - it is symbolic but it does distance them from the petty dictates of politics and politicians [I repeat only symbolic but it does make a difference - they fight for their country not the government and believe it or not some are PROUD of it].
The poppy and remembrance day is a time to reflect on ALL wars and ALL servicemen and women who have died on whichever side they fought. The red poppy grew on the fields of Flanders and was adopted as a symbol of the bloodshed pain and misery that war brings. That the poppy is the colour of blood is important, it is not a celebration of war it is a reminder of it's result. I find the white poppy a pathetic 'sanitization' of what war really means - blood and death and yet you find it being worn by many so called 'anti war' protesters - only if we truly remember what war really means will we ever manage to eliminate it.
On the day we forget - it WILL happen again.
Sorry for the rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom