The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@classic33
Unless I am reading you wrong you are for the monarchy and think nay-sayers are treasonous. I mean no disrespect. I am just very curious. A monarchy is just such an unusual idea to me. Not to make judgement - our system has it's own problems. There is no true representation of the average citizen. No $$$$$ no run for office. :( BTW - I kind of feel sorry for Prince Charles - his Mum refuses to retire - poor guy - he is already a senior with a slim hope of being King. His sons are great and Kate is a doll. Classy woman! Her babes are adorable.

What are your thoughts - when Her Majesty takes her last breathe do you think Prince Charles will accept the position of King or will he cede the honor to his son? Seriously curious.

Again - no disrespect intended. I do not want to ruffle any feathers. Just being a nosy Yank.
I can't say I am a royalist, just someone who dislikes people who want to try and change the system to their benefit. Having got there under a system that they want to scrap, to prevent anyone else doing the same to them.

Charles, I doubt will ever be king. Elizabeth can't really retire, step down, but that brings a whole load of other problems. You remember Simpson?

As for the treason, they are guilty of it by "plotting to overthrow the monarchy", to whom they have taken an oath to serve. Let sentence be carried out.

I am a Yank - remember what?

I am fascinated by the British infatuation with the Royals. Need to start a thread on the royals - for the edification of us Yanks.
The Fallen, in all wars is what I think @sidevalve means.

I'd a "Balloon Buster" in the RFC in the first. Another who was unfit to serve on the front, sent back to Ireland in 1916, and one on the "Cambletown" in second.

Elizabeth and Andrew are the only two who saw active service, during a war, in the present monarchy.

I have written out a list of people to send cards to and I now know we need more stamps. Don't normally write any until the beginning of December and post around the second week. I bought some cards today but will definitely need more, plenty of time.

On the day we forget - it WILL happen again.

The attacks of 9/11 shook our nation to its core. For the first time in a long time citizens were united in love of country. I was serving in the USN Reserves. For the first time EVER I had strangers stop me and thank me for my service to my country. I feel that too many have forgotten the horror, terror, anger and love of country. A sad thing that makes my heart hurt.

When I see service members, police officers, fire fighters or EMTs in uniform I ALWAYS shake their hand and thank them for their service. If I am in a restaurant I will anonymously pay for their meal. If I am in a grocery store I frequently purchase a gift card and give it to a service member or others in uniform to help pay for their groceries.

Last edited:
The attacks of 9/11 shook our nation to its core. For the first time in a long time citizens were united in love of country. I was serving in the USN Reserves. For the first time EVER I had strangers stop me and thank me for my service to my country. I feel that too many have forgotten the horror, terror, anger and love of country. A sad thing that makes my heart hurt.

When I see service members, police officers, fire fighters or EMTs in uniform I ALWAYS shake their hand and thank them for their service. If I am in a restaurant I will anonymously pay for their meal. If I am in a grocery store I frequently purchase a gift card and give it to a service member or others in uniform to help pay for their groceries.
Lost a relative in the Twin Towers. The radio was on in their appliance/engine, but there was no-one to answer it.

In preparing to cook my chop suey today, I needed a plan. My fading memory requires every ingredient to be on show in order for it to form part of the dish. Each of the vegetables needed to be stir fried separately for 1 - 2 minutes each so I lined them all up on the worktop. To avoid being interrupted, I prepared the stock up front and left it in a jug in the sink. Half way through my vegetable stir frying my wife arrive in the kitchen to clean the used dishes. "Have you finished with this?", she asked, as she slopped soap suds into my prepared stock. From then on I was completely out of sync with proceedings.

It turned out OK in the end though.

now you understand one reason why I prefer America - you still have pride. On a facebook group I am in an English biker made a T shirt regarding English bikers remembering English soldiers - no disrespect to anyone else indeed no mention of anyone else at all. Simply an Englishman remembering England's fallen and was IMMEDIATELY abused by scots ["I seem to remember there were Scottish soldiers there too"] Welsh [same] Irish [ditto] and every other sad bleeding heart who had an axe to grind. It seems if a scot is proud to be Scottish or an American is proud to be American etc etc [pick your country] that is fine but if you are English you have to say [if you dare say anything at all] that you are British - well no I'm English and if that alone [ no disrespect to anyone else - just me being proud of my country] makes me a racist fascist or some sort of nazi then so be it. I disrespect no man's country but I expect the same in return and that is something we over here seem to have lost. Further I believe IF we could all be a little more proud of our own country and culture then maybe we could accept and understand someone else's better
Sorry for the rant again :oops:

Lost a relative in the Twin Towers. The radio was on in their appliance/engine, but there was no-one to answer it

My sympathy. A cousin had been working at the Pentagon. We finally contacted his brother-in-law and were relieved to find out that he was temporarily working at the Navy Annex.

Today marks 25 years service with the same company. Please join me in celebrating
757406.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom