The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is wonderful news ..
Is it ? Sure we get more female chefs but we fix even more securely the idea that cooking is for women. Further we don't really seem to be so low on female food presenters/cooks - Nigella - two fat ladies - Mary Berry - Delia Smith + lots of others at the moment. Why is it so ESSENTIAL to almost force women into an industry ? Simply to prove some strange point. The world of the professional chef is a hard and can sometimes be an unpleasant one and for many the rewards can be quite poor. Does anybody really believe that a restaurant would really turn down a chef simply because it was a woman ? really ? Do we want some form of positive discrimination ? In my opinion MUCH worse than negative as it can't be overcome and robs the individual of pride in their achievement as they will never be 100% sure if they actually deserved the job or not.
Perhaps the number of female chefs will increase perhaps it will not. Perhaps many more women will decide that the life of a chef is for them after all I suspect that the opportunities [and pay scales] in many other professions are much greater for a much larger percentage.
As an example my niece is a chemical engineer [way cleverer than me !] - there would be literally dozens of companies ready to accept her services [all over the world] - what would be the chances of her being able to say the same if she had studied food and not chemicals ?

@morning glory. Happy birthday.

Sorry it's so late in the day. Things going on at home and in a touch distracted. :(

SNSSO. My girl has stopped laying. A starling got into the hen house which made the dogs go nuts and bust in the door, I've had no eggs since after one every single days for 4 weeks. Any suggestions? Should I buy another chook to keep her company? She was always more of a solo bird when we had the other 2.
Chickens are boots that need company so yes if buy her a friend of I was you. Something younger than her. What breed is she? Isas don't tolerate other breeds well, so if she is one you'll need to be careful with introducing them to reach other but even if they don't appear to spend much time together, with them being social, they do need each others company.

Sadly I don't have anything available, I'm actually in Sydney this weekend (and visiting the blue mountains) otherwise I could have brought one with me for you to have.

Is it ? Sure we get more female chefs but we fix even more securely the idea that cooking is for women. Further we don't really seem to be so low on female food presenters/cooks - Nigella - two fat ladies - Mary Berry - Delia Smith + lots of others at the moment. Why is it so ESSENTIAL to almost force women into an industry ? Simply to prove some strange point. The world of the professional chef is a hard and can sometimes be an unpleasant one and for many the rewards can be quite poor. Does anybody really believe that a restaurant would really turn down a chef simply because it was a woman ? really ? Do we want some form of positive discrimination ? In my opinion MUCH worse than negative as it can't be overcome and robs the individual of pride in their achievement as they will never be 100% sure if they actually deserved the job or not.
Perhaps the number of female chefs will increase perhaps it will not. Perhaps many more women will decide that the life of a chef is for them after all I suspect that the opportunities [and pay scales] in many other professions are much greater for a much larger percentage.
As an example my niece is a chemical engineer [way cleverer than me !] - there would be literally dozens of companies ready to accept her services [all over the world] - what would be the chances of her being able to say the same if she had studied food and not chemicals ?

@sidevalve

This all depends on the level of Chef, we are discussing ..

7 Michelin Star Chef Carme Ruscadella, in Sant Pau, Barcelona, Barcelona and Tokyo, Japan for example, has been a chef and food designer and author since she was university age ..

I know Chef Carme personally and she would not trade her career for anything, if she could turn back the hands of time ..

Each to his own ..

Have a nice evening ..

@ElizabethB

I know as a fact that female Chefs on the Michelin level are paid quite well in France, Italy & Spain and as a matter of fact, numerous work either in major 5 Star Hotels ( Ritz Carlton, Manadarin Oriental etcetra ) and love their work as it is a true passion.

Also, I have a dear friend in Varisses, Barcelona, who is a Michelin Chef who owns her own restaurant and does very well ..

It all depends, on the level of the Chef or Pâtissier, their stamina, innovation, passion, luck and who they meet on the way up the ladder ..

Many women are not cut out to work in offices or huge mega corporations and are seeking alternative careers now .. They do not want to push papers around nor be just a number .. They attend culinary institutes such as Ducasse or Paul Bocuse and Le Cordón Bleu ..

Have a lovely day ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom