The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember being in Linate airport with 2.5 hours to wait for my flight. I had 4,500 Lira and the bar, at that time (mid 90s) did not accept credit cards and ATMs were rare. 4,500 Lira would buy me a sandwich or a small beer.....

@classic33
first of all I am rather amazed that you have some old Italian liras .. the man on the first banknotes is Giuseppe Verdi, the famous Italian composer and musician and 1000 Lire correspond today around 1 euro and 90 cents more or less. Those banknotes were in progress until the 80s, then they were replaced. The 500 liras of paper I think are still older or perhaps "same age" .. I remember them because in the 80s I was a child and I had the piggy bank with 500 pounds of paper.
Have you tried to get them evaluated?
No-one locally that does that.

I have all sorts of old back notes including Deutsch marks, francs, English one pound notes, some Indian rupees (worth more for their silver than their face value (due to their age)), Egyptian pounds (I think it's the pound), Finnish markka, old Irish punt and many others including I think some Cuban currency. Between the countries I have visited and what I have found in the road or on the pavement (which is quite surprising at the best of times) I have quite a curious collection of low value notes.
Bet you don't have one of these?
CAM00764-1.jpg

Ten bob notes are quite common - it's the white fivers that are quite rare [although being a true Yorkshire man I must admit that my wallet still contains a few :D]. I still have a few Italian notes that came from my father when he served in Italy in 1944.

If thar Bob doesn't give are Bob that ten bob that thar Bob owes are Bob, are Bob's gonna give thar Bob a bob ont'nob.

Don't blame the messenger!

Another chook is up the creek. So I now have 3 sets of chicks in the chook house and two chooks in the maternity ward. But one in the maternity ward is, how can I put this politely? Senile? She's not got all the brain cells she was hatched with... So she's on eggs that don't matter as much if nothing happens, though she seems to have now got the hang of sitting on the eggs rather than in front of, behind or to either side of (or all 4 at once) and the eggs we bought for her are in an incubator that we had to hire to save them. So we filled the incubator with extra eggs because there is always a market for Easter eggers (chooks where the colour of the egg lain is multi choice)and a week later this chook goes broody. Only she's one of the 3 that lays these Easter eggers eggs... So now shes sitting on another 8... So between the 6 my mad girl is on, the 10 she didn't manage to sit on, the additional 14 that went in to the incubator to fill it (and pay for it) and the additional 8 Lothos is now sitting on, I will be expecting somewhere between 0 and 38 chicks in the next 2-3 weeks! This is on top of the 3, 4 & 5 that are additions to our flock from before Christmas... The flock had however lost the chook that went missing. We think she was probably been taken most likely from sitting on an insecure nest having gone broody on us and gone au Naturalle for her nest site. She'll be missed because she was such a sweet timid girl and we still have her 'twin'. An identical sister from the same clutch and the only way of telling them apart unless you had both of them in your hands and knew them was by the leg band one of them (the survivor) wears.

I think when the auctions start up again (they stop in the summer months because it is simply too hot to conduct them) we will have to have a clear out of some of the flock. I doubt any more than 19 or 20 of the potential 38 will hatch and only half of those will be female (saleable) but even with those numbers, the idea of adding an extra 9 or 10 to the 19 adults we currently have and probable 6 females of the current 12 chicks running around... It's simply too many too feed. :( shame because we have the space just not the money... When it's dry here there is not much for the chooks to eat and summer is dry and it's summer now...

Another chook is up the creek. So I now have 3 sets of chicks in the chook house and two chooks in the maternity ward. But one in the maternity ward is, how can I put this politely? Senile? She's not got all the brain cells she was hatched with... So she's on eggs that don't matter as much if nothing happens, though she seems to have now got the hang of sitting on the eggs rather than in front of, behind or to either side of (or all 4 at once) and the eggs we bought for her are in an incubator that we had to hire to save them. So we filled the incubator with extra eggs because there is always a market for Easter eggers (chooks where the colour of the egg lain is multi choice)and a week later this chook goes broody. Only she's one of the 3 that lays these Easter eggers eggs... So now shes sitting on another 8... So between the 6 my mad girl is on, the 10 she didn't manage to sit on, the additional 14 that went in to the incubator to fill it (and pay for it) and the additional 8 Lothos is now sitting on, I will be expecting somewhere between 0 and 38 chicks in the next 2-3 weeks! This is on top of the 3, 4 & 5 that are additions to our flock from before Christmas... The flock had however lost the chook that went missing. We think she was probably been taken most likely from sitting on an insecure nest having gone broody on us and gone au Naturalle for her nest site. She'll be missed because she was such a sweet timid girl and we still have her 'twin'. An identical sister from the same clutch and the only way of telling them apart unless you had both of them in your hands and knew them was by the leg band one of them (the survivor) wears.

I think when the auctions start up again (they stop in the summer months because it is simply too hot to conduct them) we will have to have a clear out of some of the flock. I doubt any more than 19 or 20 of the potential 38 will hatch and only half of those will be female (saleable) but even with those numbers, the idea of adding an extra 9 or 10 to the 19 adults we currently have and probable 6 females of the current 12 chicks running around... It's simply too many too feed. :( shame because we have the space just not the money... When it's dry here there is not much for the chooks to eat and summer is dry and
it's summer now...

Would that be the one thaf might have run off with the duck?
Mod edit: incorrect quote corrected

Last edited by a moderator:
Would that be the one thaf might have run off with the duck?
The one we are writing off. Yes. Though there is still a chance she is sitting on eggs and they haven't hatched or that she's on ducks eggs (which take a week longer than chicken eggs) because 3 adult ducks have returned to our pond recently and one is female and there are no ducklings. But the reality is that she's probably been taken by a fox either during the day free ranging and not a single other chook saw it (unlikely because of her nature) or she war taken whilst sitting on an insecure nest site (much more likely).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom