The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The word is jigsaw backwards, it is a jigsaw puzzle but the picture on the box is not the same picture that is on the jigsaw. The jigsaw is what the people on the box can see if that makes sense.
My younger granddaughter loves them. I bought her one for Christmas 2016 that was a 3-in-1 puzzle. According to the box it was very difficult..... :whistling:

My Dad used to have quite a collection of jigsaw puzzles, some of which were quite old. Unfortunately, when he died, my brother gave nearly all of them away. Shame because there were some really lovely wooden ones which I loved in my very younger days where the pieces were all shapes (gloves, boots, animals etc). One I did manage to rescue is a huge double-sided crossword puzzle, but I haven't tried it. I haven't anywhere big enough to put it on, and daren't put it together on the floor :laugh: The pieces on that are identical (the reverse side pieces are exactly the same as the front side) but the grids and the answers are of course different. Dad was a hardened jigsaw-doer (he worked permanent nights and stayed up Saturday and Sunday nights as he couldn't sleep), but even he never managed to complete it.

Last edited:
I have all sorts of old back notes including Deutsch marks, francs, English one pound notes, some Indian rupees (worth more for their silver than their face value (due to their age)), Egyptian pounds (I think it's the pound), Finnish markka, old Irish punt and many others including I think some Cuban currency. Between the countries I have visited and what I have found in the road or on the pavement (which is quite surprising at the best of times) I have quite a curious collection of low value notes.
I have quite a collection of notes - mainly Greek and Thai - plus loads of coins from all over Asia and Europe. There may even be some old Australian coins too. All come from places my brother and I have lived or been to on our travels.

I used to do jigsaw puzzles. Have not done one in too many years. Have never heard of wasgij puzzles. Think I will suggest that to my Brother while I visit with him next week in Colorado.

My aunt loved jigsaws. She had a large leather fold up binder in which to keep them until completed.

A little like this:

s-l225.jpg

Well, Winter appears to have subsided for another year. 33 degC at present.

Still cold in south Louisiana for this southern girl. Light freeze tonight. Heading to Colorado tomorrow. Having a near panic attract at the thought of the extreme high country cold. Weather forecast is 50's and 60's during the day. Cold at night and early morning. Extremely low humidity. :woot: Somebody is smiling on my parade. Will stay in touch via my new smart phone. So much nicer than my old stupid phone.
I am checking an extra bag of food for my brother. Boudin, crawfish, shrimp, andouille, Tasso, fresh pork sausage. He has been away from Louisiana for a very long time. He misses his family and he misses the food. The plan is to make a chicken and andouille gumbo, crawfish etoufee and shrimp with jalapeno cheese grits. Spoke to Brother today - he is salivating in anticipation of some serious Louisiana cuisine.

My younger granddaughter loves them. I bought her one for Christmas 2016 that was a 3-in-1 puzzle. According to the box it was very difficult..... :whistling:

My Dad used to have quite a collection of jigsaw puzzles, some of which were quite old. Unfortunately, when he died, my brother gave nearly all of them away. Shame because there were some really lovely wooden ones which I loved in my very younger days where the pieces were all shapes (gloves, boots, animals etc). One I did manage to rescue is a huge double-sided crossword puzzle, but I haven't tried it. I haven't anywhere big enough to put it on, and daren't put it together on the floor :laugh: The pieces on that are identical (the reverse side pieces are exactly the same as the front side) but the grids and the answers are of course different. Dad was a hardened jigsaw-doer (he worked permanent nights and stayed up Saturday and Sunday nights as he couldn't sleep), but even he never managed to complete it.

I had a lot when I was growing up, loved them. One year I bought what looked to be a lovely alpine scene but once the box was open it was quite clear that the puzzle itself was not the same as the picture, not a problem I did it anyway-2 pieces were missing :cry: I wrote to the company told them the situation and rather surprisingly they replied, congratulated me on doing it without a picture, apologised for the missing pieces and sent me a free jigsaw which was quite unexpected.

I had a lot when I was growing up, loved them. One year I bought what looked to be a lovely alpine scene but once the box was open it was quite clear that the puzzle itself was not the same as the picture, not a problem I did it anyway-2 pieces were missing :cry: I wrote to the company told them the situation and rather surprisingly they replied, congratulated me on doing it without a picture, apologised for the missing pieces and sent me a free jigsaw which was quite unexpected.
In the 1990s I used to sell old jigsaw puzzles from the 1950s and early 1960s. Most were complete, but I used to repair the ones that weren't. I still have some upstairs that need repairing. The main problem with those was getting a suitable card backing from that era. One of my Dad's puzzles that I rescued was unopened. That had a piece missing. I meant to write to Waddingtons to get the missing piece but unfortunately never got round to it, although we did obtain missing pieces for one or two other earlier ones when he was doing them. I did see an identical Coronation puzzle to the one I had when I was young and which my brother gave away. Unfortunately the one I saw was in a bad condition. Such a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom