The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love bats :love: I love the way they flit about. As you know, they are protected here which is not so lovely when they live in your loft!
This how we ended up rescuing one... There was pretty much everything living in the loft of the house we lived in in Surrey. We were on a large nature reserve and MOD training area on the sides and by farm land on the other side. It was a mile just to the road, a B road at that. Loved it but after 12 years there it was time to move on to other things in another chapter of our life.

No bats available in the immediate vicinity, but our local high street has become something of a hunting ground for pied wagtails. It's almost impossible not to see at least one and quite often, you can see four or five flitting around.

At the end of the high street is an area called the Links, which is green space (so called because we are on the coast and it's on sandy ground, like many golf courses in Scotland). In winter, this is often busy with oystercatchers, presumably migrants from elsewhere. These are occasionally joined by a redshank or two. There is a resident colony of jackdaws in that area as well, along with a fair few starlings, though not enough for a good murmuration. Now and then, something a little less common appears, like the party of long-tailed tits that showed up the other day. These splendid little birds, which often seem to be more tail than bird, usually go around in family groups of about ten or twelve.

One slightly bemusing sight yesterday: a flock of geese were flying over the Links (too far away to discern species). Now this isn't especially strange on the face of it, but they were heading north. Faulty satnav? It's not like it's warm or anything. In fact, it's about -6C today.

I have finished my second wasgij, it was school children and teachers in the cafeteria, rather difficult because there were a lot of faces and green uniforms :o_o:

I have had a bad cold since Thursday. Yesterday I had no energy, feeling better today thankfully, just keep taking the meds.

We know quite a few people who were ill over Christmas so we have been lucky.
Hope you get better soon. My daughter was ill over Christmas, and I've been ill for the past few days. Started to feel better on Friday but still tired out.

Ok. It was a bat. I have no idea how we ended up with a bat in the house because every for and window except for one that can be opened has a flyscreen on it and they are all fine with no holes in them but that was most definitely a bat. It's now free (I think)...

:love: bats are soo cute

Back in Maidstone after a week in Saffron Walden with my friend. After I cleaned the kitchen and put on (some of) the pile of laundry and loaded the dishwasher I tried to tell myself it was good to be home. Tomorrow me and partner go to the seaside for a mini break. Seafood...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom