The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can do and some will then eat them as well. Eggs, embryo chick and hatched or about to hatch chicks. Once you get an egg eater there is very little you can do. We had one, tried all the tricks but she ended up being rehomed to the reptile centre she was my husband's favourite.
I don't think it will effect my son, I don't think he's breeding. Just collecting eggs. I will tell him though.

Russ

I don't think it will effect my son, I don't think he's breeding. Just collecting eggs. I will tell him though.

Russ

So long as there is no cockerel then he can't breed! But I guess that hens can eat unfertilised eggs too. It never happened when we kept chickens though.

Russ

So long as there is no cockerel then he can't breed! But I guess that hens can eat unfertilised eggs too. It never happened when we kept chickens though.

Generally it happens because an egg gets accidentally broken either by being stood on (nothing you can do about that) or by an egg being kicked out of another hens preferred nesting box (most just lay next to eggs but some want a ' clean ' nest site) or by it falling into a hard surface (this generally happens to lower ranking hens when there are not enough laying sites or a bitchy hen sits for a long time in the next box to deprive a lower ranking hen of the ability to lay with all of the others)

Once an egg is broken, anything yellow is eaten by default by chickens (as is anything white or cream. ..) Any lower ranking hens ,especially hungry ones , will take the opportunity to grab a high protein meal, especially an easy one . Unfortunately some quickly learn that this is an easy source for a meal and start the habit. With only a couple of chickens is unlikely to occur ,but when you have a small flock and there is fighting for resources (or a perceived lack of food ) then the pecking order really starts up and it can and does happen. It can also occur if the source of food is not high quality and lacks protein. Then they will go for the easiest source of protein and that's other hens eggs (fertilised or not).

My nana kept chooks and bantams, I used to collect the eggs when at her house in the weekends. Great memories.
Not so much grandad chopping ones head off,lol. I was told the one I ate was from the shops that night. I think my nana tricked me,lol. :)

Russ

My wife said to me the other day "Close the kitchen door, I can't breathe".

I was boiling potatoes and onions.

And she's the one that stir fries fresh chillis!

chili-pepper-smiley.png

Last edited:
Bitingly cold today, it snowed a little but earlier but the ground is too wet for it to settle.

Last edited by a moderator:
The flowering ones are mini carnations, I forgot I planted some of these. The purple one are standard carnations. They are due any day.

Russ

Although it may appear I'm a great gardener, I'm not, I just grow the seeds to seedlings. The wife takes over then. It's her garden, but I do all the lifting. The potatoes are my babies, I like to have them for Xmas day. We are still eating new potatoes. My besty came round a dug enough for his tea last night. The flowers are also my baby, I absolutely love carnations. The ones I'm growing are destined for my mums grave and my m.i.l as well. Both really great people. Sorry for o.t

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom