The General Chat Thread (2024)?

On another topic, I find that at least fifty-percent of the time, I have to edit my posts, because I only see my typos after I click the "Post Reply" button.

Anyone else?

I have noticed, though, that some of us (not naming names) don't bother looking for/correcting typos. :laugh: I can't do that. If I see a typo in one of my posts, I feel compelled to correct it. If I see my typo in somebody's reply post, it drives me nuts, because I can't fix it. :hyper:

CD

Oh yes.

I nearly always proofread my posts before submitting, and still errors get through. If it’s something minor, I may or may not correct it, but if it confuses the meaning of what I’m posting, I’ll edit it for clarity.

I’ll add that, due to nearly everyone in my family using speak-to-text, I’ve developed a keen gobbledegook-to-English translating ability. Case-in-point:

The second cross was better but it was kind of too small The coastal has a homemade buttermilk dressing the coastal address scenes like I said I used the Buttermilk dressing yum I was craving a breakfast Tash brown pacerol and it's pretty good

That’s my sis telling me her second pie crust (“cross”) was better, and her coleslaw (“coastal”) has buttermilk dressing and that the coleslaw dressing (“coastal address scenes”) used buttermilk and that she was craving a hash brown casserole (“Tash brown pacerol”).

I nearly always proofread my posts before submitting, and still errors get through. If it’s something minor, I may or may not correct it, but if it confuses the meaning of what I’m posting, I’ll edit it for clarity.

One of the things that I learned working for magazines is that you should always have someone else proof your writing. People tend to read right through their own mistakes. Before every issue went to print, the publisher, both editors, and the Art Director (me) read EVERY page looking for mistakes/typos. Even then, every once in a while, a mistake/typo go through to print.

CD

I’ll add that, due to nearly everyone in my family using speak-to-text, I’ve developed a keen gobbledegook-to-English translating ability. Case-in-point:

The second cross was better but it was kind of too small The coastal has a homemade buttermilk dressing the coastal address scenes like I said I used the Buttermilk dressing yum I was craving a breakfast Tash brown pacerol and it's pretty good

That’s my sis telling me her second pie crust (“cross”) was better, and her coleslaw (“coastal”) has buttermilk dressing and that the coleslaw dressing (“coastal address scenes”) used buttermilk and that she was craving a hash brown casserole (“Tash brown pacerol”).

Apple's voice-to-text has improved a lot, but it will still give me a "gotcha" if I'm not vigilant. That's where it will change the word I spoke to a word that sounds like it.

I've noticed that with the newest iOS version, it will change a word, and apparently analyze it in the context of the words around it, and change it again to the word I wanted. Perhaps some AI going on?

CD

One of the things that I learned working for magazines is that you should always have someone else proof your writing. People tend to read right through their own mistakes. Before every issue went to print, the publisher, both editors, and the Art Director (me) read EVERY page looking for mistakes/typos. Even then, every once in a while, a mistake/typo go through to print.
That is very sound advice, and so true. When I worked with Kraft, the Regional VP used to send me all his correspondence in English, just to double check. Even then, it's worth checking once again, you know; third time lucky.

People tend to read right through their own mistakes.
What I’ve always done, when it matters, is read everything backwards, starting from the last word and ending with the first. It forces me to slow down and see every word.

Worthless for grammar, but works well for misspellings.

What I’ve always done, when it matters, is read everything backwards, starting from the last word and ending with the first. It forces me to slow down and see every word.

Worthless for grammar, but works well for misspellings.

Yeah, I learned that one back in college (?). It is very slow, and requires more patience than I have. And as you mentioned, does nothing for grammar and punctuation.

CD

If it's important I'll print it on actual paper and read it in a different size and front, that shows up most errors.
If it's critical it's accurate I'll leave it a day or two and read it with fresh eye's.
I'm always mortified if I send something then after find a typo or worse the wrong/sub-optimum word on anything that matters.

On forums and other platforms I couldn't care less. People are often typing and posting at speed and that's what keeps the conversation going. Even if it's littered with errors so long as I can understand it that is fine by me.

It's hard for people who aren't good at written English to join in, I'm glad they do, I'd rather have their contribution than concern myself with their literacy. I only say this because there was a lovely guy on a motorcycle forum I belong to and when he posted another guy would constantly correct his spelling (which was some of the worse I've ever encountered), it made him feel stupid, just like school made him feel stupid, in the end he stopped dropping by 😔

Current temp is 21F/-6C, with windchill of 4F/-16C. Light snow is falling.

🥶

That arctic cold front is coming our way, too.

It is currently 47F/8C and very windy.

It will drop below freezing (32F/0C) tonight, and not get above freezing until sometime on Wednesday. :eek: :cold:

I am betting the HOA has not turned off the neighborhood sprinklers, so Tuesday morning our yards, sidewalks and parts of our streets will be coated with ice. :facepalm:

My sister gets off her Caribbean cruise ship tomorrow morning in Fort Lauderdale, and flies to Houston. It will be right around 40F/4C and windy when she arrives at the Houston airport. That should be a nice "Welcome Home."

CD

If you want to be put in a good mood, you just need to sit across from the couple I’m sat across from (other side of the bar).

Appear to be mid-70’s, both drinking red wine, and she keeps stroking his cheek and every minute or so, he ever so gently kisses her - on the cheek, on the forehead, on the lips, and they’re each lost in the other’s eyes, whispering quietly and obviously besotted with one other.

💗

I’m already in a good mood, though, because the woman checking cards at Sam’s Club, when I walked in, she said, “Why hello, handsome!”

😊

I looked over each shoulder in an exaggerated “Who me?” fashion while I unbundled, and once I got my hat and scarf off, she added…

“Oh, I thought you were someone else!”

🫤

I’m keeping it, though - I’ll take it where I can get it! 😆

I ran to Total Wine and Sprits to get a bottle of Bourbon for a friend's birthday, and it was packed, as it always is on Saturdays.

I get in line to check out, and the guy ahead of me unloads all kinds of really fancy and obviously expensive tequila, whiskeys and four bottles of good champagne. I guess it to easily be more than a thousand bucks.

Ka-ching. $2,355.43! :eek:

I bought my 35-dollar bottle, and slinked out of the store. As I'm walking to my car, I see the guy loading his haul into a newish Bentley Continental GT. :laugh:

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom