The Size of Vegetables

These are the ones I shall be using because these are the only ones I got.

dec-pots s.jpg

200mm (8") dia dish.

These are what I would call "very small". They are likely to be heading for cauliflower cheese tomorrow.

v-small cauliflower s.jpg

I halved the largest, left the other four whole:

cauliflower cheese 2 s.jpg

must admit I find this thread interesting - especially about potatoes. I can still remember [and so I suspect do a few of the more 'mature' members !] the days when a potato could be almost the size of a small melon and covered in wrinkles lumps and annoying crevices that took AGES to peel. 1 of these beasts could supply enough chips [or even french fries] or mash for an entire meal !

I remember them well, does that make me a 'mature' member :unsure:

I remember them well, does that make me a 'mature' member :unsure:
Perhaps only add mature add the potato because I also remember them. We used to buy large papery sacks of them, 25 or 50kg at a time I think (roughly converted to metric) from farmer's yards or gates. Easy to do so still in Cheshire but else where? I still hunt out the soil converted tatties,even here in Australia. Mine are nearly really for harvesting! Can't wait to see if I have a semi reasonable crop.

We were building a pipeline around Broadway in the Cotswolds in the middle of the '78/'79 winter (anyone from England will remember that winter). Anyway, it was Christmas Eve and a local farmer brought around a few small sacks of potatoes which he had spare from the fields where we had stripped the topsoil. I took a sack home and within a week or two I had a plethora of potato plants growing in the garage.

The bowl is 150 mm diameter. "Thai hot" chilies (as opposed to prik kee noo).

View attachment 4148

[Edit: The chilies shown above were Bht 10.00 (US$ 0.30). I remember paying 70p for 6 Thai chilies in Harrods 30 years ago]

I'm a bit jealous of your chillies.... they can be more than $20kg here... I get them cheaper in Asian markets but still $$$

I'm a bit jealous of your chillies.... they can be more than $20kg here... I get them cheaper in Asian markets but still $$$

That's steep - I can buy them in my local Asian shop for peanuts. I've also heard (many times) that chillies in Australia are just not very hot.

That's steep - I can buy them in my local Asian shop for peanuts. I've also heard (many times) that chillies in Australia are just not very hot.

Chilli head culture is starting to come along now. Though you have to grow your own if you want hotter varieties.

The part of Sydney I grew up in, my neighbours were all immigrants and they grew a lot of veg, including chilies. As a kid I loved being invited in to eat the food of my neighbours from Lebanon, Macedonia, Turkey, Italy.

Though funnily, the first chilli plant (Birdseye) I can remember seeing was grown by a long retired Anglo. Her garden was amazing. Full of citrus trees with 4 big raised beds that were always full of veg, every season.

One middle eastern neighbour used to grow a border garden of parsley, marigold & scotch bonnets. I used to dare the teen boys to eat them.

Chilli head culture is starting to come along now. Though you have to grow your own if you want hotter varieties.

The part of Sydney I grew up in, my neighbours were all immigrants and they grew a lot of veg, including chilies. As a kid I loved being invited in to eat the food of my neighbours from Lebanon, Macedonia, Turkey, Italy.

Though funnily, the first chilli plant (Birdseye) I can remember seeing was grown by a long retired Anglo. Her garden was amazing. Full of citrus trees with 4 big raised beds that were always full of veg, every season.

One middle eastern neighbour used to grow a border garden of parsley, marigold & scotch bonnets. I used to dare the teen boys to eat them.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn may be interested in this as I think she has found it difficult to find seed for hot chilli cultivation in Australia (I may have this wrong).

Back
Top Bottom